+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member

Default Passed the 802 today : )

Whatsup everybody, took some time away from the forums...started school again...blah blah blah. Anyways, I took the 802 today and passed...so I'm officially A+ certified so thats dope. I will say...I see what people meant by the clarity of some of the questions and simulations. Examcompass is great...but its downfall is the questions are well written and the intent is clear. Do NOT expect this when taking the 802...but if you prepped hard...you will pass.

Anyways, I have a dilemma on my hands. I'm want to start prepping for the Sec+ and Net + exams as the two classes i'm enrolled in this semester are TCP/IP and Cyber security fundamentals. The TCP/IP class should be a good spring board for my Net + studies so thats fine...but the text book for the cyber security fundamentals class is GSEC GIAC Security Essentials Certification Exam Guide which sort of has me in a quandary. From my 10 min google research...it appears the GSEC is far more in depth and valuable in the security field...but the Sec + is easier and more in line with entry level professionals (which I would be as I do not work in IT now).

Wanted to get some feedback from you all as to which would be the wise layup....GSEC or Sec +

Thanks

Average Joe in VA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member

Certifications
    A+
    Congrats on the pass. I sit for the 802 Friday. I definitely second that Examcompass is a great tool, and agree that the wording on the actual test is really poor.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ | Network+ | ITIL-F v3
    I would take the Security + exam only because it lays down the ground work for a solid foundation in the field. CompTIA exams, at least A+/Net+/Sec+ for the most, part are very broad in topics but shallow in depth. This is advantageous in that you'll be given a broader view and gain basic understanding in the intricacies of the subject. For instance, I took and passed my Net+ and since then when studying for my CCENT and CCNA I find myself having an easier time with understanding the mechanisms of how LANs, WANs, MANs, etc... and their network devices work in conjecture.
    Degree: B.S. Information Technology - Security [In-Progress]
    Currently Working On: Security+[ ], CCENT [ ], Project+ [ ]
    2017 Goals: CCNA , Linux+,
    Future Certs: CCNA Security, CCNP: Routing & Switching,
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    VCP-DV, ITIL
    Congrats!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CASP, SEC+, NET+, A+, NST, CST, ACE...
    Congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member
    Good luck on your test Mike. Definitely use all your time and go back and review your flagged questions. I found it helpful to roll through the questions flagging the ones I wasn't 100% positive on and leaving the rest un flagged i was dead nuts on. In the end I changed about 4 to 5 of my answers after reviewing with time on the clock and the pressure off. Remember...game the test ; )
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member
    Thanks for your insight Spiegel. I was already leaning towards Sec + but wanted to get input. Your logic makes sound sense.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    A+
    Yeah I finished the 801 with 30 minutes left on the test so I just went through the whole thing again. I'm looking forward to being done with the A+ and moving onto N+ and Sec+. I think I'll try and study both at the same time. I wanna knock out the trio quickly so I can get to work on the CCNA and CCNA:S
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member
    Are there simulations on the 801 exam?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Member

Certifications
    A+
    Yes, I believe all exams have sims.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. ProEthicalHacker.com fuz1on's Avatar
    silicon valley, where we speak that bay area slang

Certifications
    CCNA CCENT ITIL SSCA SSVVP WSQD WSQI Cloud+ Mobility+ Security+ Linux+ Network+ Server+ Project+ A+ HIT LPIC-1 CLA11 ACE ace/PACA SSBBP SSLP CMS SCP
    Congrats and good luck on Sec+!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks