+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member Registered Member

Default Beginner​ looking for advice

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening all,

I am new to the IT field and hope to get into the cyber security field in the future. I want to start from the bottom and work my way up the hard way. I need some advice on where to start and I heard that CompTIA A+ would get me started on my path. I need to know where to go to get good training with LABS and I say that in all caps because I order for me to learn I must have teachings and hands on exercises. Please Help I've been searching Google for a while now .

Lucas
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF
    I would recommend following the 'CompTIA Trio' (A+, Network+ and Security+). This will give you a solid foundation on IT in general and some insight into the Security field. A lot of people tend to follow this path and it opens up so many different options for your career.

The two big names you will see on here is Professor Messer and Darril Gibson. Professor Messer creates video courses which covers all of the content in each CompTIA exam. They are easy to follow and includes demonstrations to show you how something is done. I'd recommend following the course for the A+ and see hwo you get on.

Professor Messer’s CompTIA 220-901 and 220-902 A+ Training Course | Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses

Darril Gibson has an excellent series of books that you can read through which again covers all of the content in the exam that you are doing. A lot of people usually follow both Professor Messer and Darril Gibson as it gives you a good mixture of theory and practical work. You can find his book by searching on Amazon.

The other thing I would recommend you follow is the objectives for the A+ provided by CompTIA. It lists each possible subject that could appear in the exam, and I normally use it as a checklist, mark off each area after I have studied it.

https://certification.comptia.org/do...objectives.pdf

https://certification.comptia.org/do...objectives.pdf

As you might have noticed, the A+ consists of two exams, the 901 and 902. The 901 pretty much covers all technical aspects of IT, and the question are more fact based than anything. The 902 goes over troubleshooting techniques, and will give you scenarios that will test your problem solving technique.

Also, if you wanted to practice the content yourself, I would recommend setting up a few virtual machines using a free tool like VirtualBox and just mess around with it. You can get free Windows 7 ISO files from the Microsoft website by searching for the evaulation copy (180 days).

Feel free to ask any questions. You will find a lot of people on here are really friendly and happy to help. Good luck with your studies!
    Currently working at: MCSA: Windows 10 (70-698, 70-697)
    2018/2019 Goals: MCSE: Mobility, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, ITIL v3, MCSA:2008/2012, MCITP:EDST/EDA
    Buy broken desktops and laptops and fix them. For the A+, I think that will help your understanding more than any book.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member Registered Member
    Thank you very much you advice is greatly appreciated
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member Registered Member
    your advice*
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    CSA+, CWTS, Storage+, Sec+, A+, N+, Mobility+, MCP, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    Buy broken desktops and laptops and fix them. For the A+, I think that will help your understanding more than any book.

Except that you also need to do reading to know all the specifics around what types of questions, terminology, and material will be on the exam. Yes, I would say get some systems to mess with, but do the reading and practice exams as well to earn certs.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks