+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member Registered Member

Default A+ start, but then where?

Hey all, new here

My employer is sending me on an A+ Accelerated course in a couple of months as they think I will benefit from having some official training with some paperwork behind me. I'm not going to say no! I quickly checked on here and saw the examcram books get mentioned. I checked our library and found them, so I jumped straight into the first test just to see where I actually am against where I think I am. I scored 53/80. I had hoped it would be higher to be honest.

Anyway. On top of that, I am also about to start a a Level 3 Diploma ITQ Apprenticeship which again is being paid for and will take a year to complete.

Finally, they want me to complete the Net+ exam after the above has been completed, but from there, where should I go? As far as I can tell, the CompTIA stuff is just the basic and really isn't going to get me into a decent paid job, which is what I am hoping to do. I'm currently a Webmaster and whilst the pay is relatively low, I don't want to be changing jobs and starting from the bottom again as I have a family to support, so any advice/guidance on a training path would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef_uk View Post
    Hey all, new here

My employer is sending me on an A+ Accelerated course in a couple of months as they think I will benefit from having some official training with some paperwork behind me. I'm not going to say no! I quickly checked on here and saw the examcram books get mentioned. I checked our library and found them, so I jumped straight into the first test just to see where I actually am against where I think I am. I scored 53/80. I had hoped it would be higher to be honest.

Anyway. On top of that, I am also about to start a a Level 3 Diploma ITQ Apprenticeship which again is being paid for and will take a year to complete.

Finally, they want me to complete the Net+ exam after the above has been completed, but from there, where should I go? As far as I can tell, the CompTIA stuff is just the basic and really isn't going to get me into a decent paid job, which is what I am hoping to do. I'm currently a Webmaster and whilst the pay is relatively low, I don't want to be changing jobs and starting from the bottom again as I have a family to support, so any advice/guidance on a training path would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Assuming you are in the United States, the answer you seek is to leave the United States. There are plenty of computer operator positions overseas that pay big bucks....tax free. For most of them, you can bring your family along and the children go to US school with other US children. Plus you get to play International Tourist on the company dime. There is no down side. Your current career is stuck in neutral if you insist on staying in the United States.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Security+, Network+, Server+
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef_uk View Post
    CompTIA stuff is just the basic and really isn't going to get me into a decent paid job, which is what I am hoping to do.
    When I was first starting out, A+ helped me land some good paying contracts and eventually a full time gig. As an entry level cert, I think it's pretty valuable and doesn't cost much compared to other education options.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF
    I have a feeling you're from the UK, and I did the same apprenticeship as you (or similar at least). I got my Level 3 Diploma from it and my A+, plus 2x MTA's. I didn't have the opportunity to take the Net+ but after my course I motivated myself to do it anyway.

You will find a lot of doors open up to you after your apprenticeship, and I found it was the best decision I ever made. I'm currently working on an MoD site at Ł28k just for a 2nd line position (I'm 24 btw). I had to do a bit of job hopping before hand, plus I already had my Sec+ and 70-680 behind me which probably helped.

I recommend getting the CompTIA trio behind you (A+, Net+, Sec+). This will give you a massive step in the right direction and give you the knowledge you need to support your career. Check out Professor Messer and his free video courses. You will see his name mentioned a lot on here.

After that it's up to you. You need to think what direction you want to go in. If you're interested in networking, follow the CCNA route. For Sysadmin roles, check out the MCSAs for 2012/2016. I would also recommend getting a Windows OS cert behind you to support your career path (Windows 10 or 7).

Even though I'm in 2nd line at the moment my main goal is to get back into Sysadmin with some Linux training behind me. It's a good career option with various roles to fill out, plus Linux is becoming more high demand at the moment.

If you need any help PM me. Good luck with your career choices!
    Currently working at: MCSA: Windows 10 (70-698, 70-697)
    2018/2019 Goals: MCSE: Mobility, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA Network+, MCP, MCTS: Windows 7
    How many times did you job hop mate?

I've worked in application support for 6 months, 1 year on service desk and now 1.5 year contracting in IT Support.

I'm currently looking out for more technical jobs but I don't want it to look bad on my CV.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF
    My first IT related job was working part time in a computer repair store while doing my apprenticeship. After that I moved onto a Sysadmin role for 3 years. Best job ever in my opinion but unfortunately the company went bust.

I quickly picked myself up and found a Linux support role. God knows why they hired me as I had no Linux experience but I didn't want to question it. I got free Linux training out of it!

A year later I'm now working in 2nd line. Its closer to home and I'm getting more here than my other roles, so might stick around for a while.

So overall I'm in my 4th IT job in the space of 5 years. It probably sounds bad but it actually worked out in my favour. Employers will tend to offer you more than your last place to attract you to the role, and I'm on a decent salary for it now. Also you get IT experience from different companies, and gives you a good understanding of various infrastructures and roles.

Employers will ask you why you're leaving your job so early, and you just need to give a good response. My current employer asked why I left in under a year and I was honest. Just say your looking for new challenges that your old employer didn't provide.
    Currently working at: MCSA: Windows 10 (70-698, 70-697)
    2018/2019 Goals: MCSE: Mobility, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks