+ Reply to Thread

Thread: failed 901

1. Junior Member

Default failed 901

Hi guys I recently failed the 901 and im really upset about it, i go 600 out of 675, the i know i need to read the questions more carefully but is there anything else i could do i use professor Messer and exam cram along with other ways which i know that help me, i also have extreme exam anxity could that be a reason why i failed because i over think during the exam? any help would be great
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+
    Hi gemgem, sorry for the fail. Maybe you can try to understand what is a catalyst for your anxiety? I think one of the most important factors for avoiding anxiety is sleep; at least 7 hours a day for week leading up to the exam. Foods; One of my college professors explained to our class before midterms and finals to make sure your brain has enough energy. Not a time to diet, so unless you have diabetes type 2, ensure your brain is swimming in sugar. Healthy carb loading is a possibility. Avoid calorie dense and over processed foods, takes lots of energy to break these down and digest and your stomach is more than capable of stealing energy from your brain to make sure you process your last meal. Know what foods trigger "brain fog". Show up an hour ahead of scheduled test. This will give you time to unwind from driving/commute or buffer any unexpected delay. I think Professor Messer is an excellent finishing touch or companion to another source on the entry CompTIA certs (think of brand new car that has not been washed and waxed or birthday cake without frosting and candles) while Exam Cram is just practice (you learn the answers but not why). You need something else to build on the fundamentals. Does CompTIA still give you a breakdown on what areas you need help on? Did you think you were guessing at any of the answers?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, iNet+, Network+, Security+, Project+, Linux+, Server+, CCENT, CCNA R&S and CCNA Security, CIW Ass., CIW WFA, CIW WDS, CIW DBS
    Here's the path that I recommend and what I have done for my certs.

1. Get all the training materials you can get your hands on.
    2. Get all the lab equipment you can get your hands on.
    3. Go through all the materials once without taking notes. Just listen and absorb.
    4. Go through it a second time, take handwritten notes.
    5. Transfer the notes you don't remember or think are most important to digital format, and I like to run it through DSpeech and listen to them when running, driving, etc.
    6. MESS AROUND WITH EQUIPMENT! The exam questions are written by people from their experiences, so it's really important to get as much hands on experience you can with the technologies on the objectives. Get some old phones, computers, whatever you can and build yourself a mad scientist's lab. Use Virtualbox and go through installations. If you aren't having fun noodling around with equipment, you probably won't make it far in this industry anyway. We love our electronic toys.
    7. About two weeks before you are going to sit for it, put the training materials away and get your hands on every practice exam you can. A+ is VERY well-supported and you'll be able to get so much content. Do nothing but practice questions every day. I print them out and write notes alongside answers - why this one is right, why this one is wrong, etc. Get a variety of sources - I think there's like Boson, Pearson might have some, ExamCram I think still does A+ - a variety of sources will have different perspectives and give you the most rounded-out experience with different types of questions.

Finally, get a LOT of sleep before the exam. Schedule it for later in the day and SLEEP IN. Your best tool is a sharp mind and if you didn't get sleep, you'll be foggy and start second guessing answers you should automatically just know.

I have not failed an exam yet, though the last one I took I came close because I didn't follow my own formula. I didn't have enough ramp up time before the exam with practice questions and the night before my roommate decided he just HAD to be up and down to the bathroom 999999 times so I got barely any sleep. As a result it was REALLY rough.

Good luck and I'm sure you will do better next time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF
    Hi gemgem1993. Don't be disheartened that you failed. I failed both my A+ 701 and 702 first time around but I picked myself up and passed soon after. I don't know if this is your first IT exam (the A+ was my first), but I've usually found people who are starting off in IT struggle first time around because they've never done a CompTIA or MS exam before. Once you've done the A+ and understood the exam content, all your other exams you do should be a piece of cake because you know what to expect and what your best study methods are. This is how was able to pass the A+, I hope it helps you out:

Study Methods:
    - Used Professor Messer and watched all videos twice. Best free study source in my opinion.
    - Mike Meyers A+ study guide (I find it good to have a mix of video and theory based training).
    - USE THE COMPTIA A+ OBJECTIVES!! These list every possible suject that could show up in the exam. If you use it like a checklist and mark off each one you are near 100% in, you should be ready (use the 902 version when you are doing that exam):

https://certification.comptia.org/do...objectives.pdf

- Use practice tests. I find MeasureUp to be the best in my opinion but you can also try Transcender. Both cost but are worth the money. Use these close to the end of your study and practice your failed questions. If you want to save money, use ExamCompass (not as detailed but a useful tool):

https://www.measureup.com/
    https://www.examcompass.com/

During the Exam:
    - Leave all simulation questions until the end if you can. They take the most time to complete and you may lose track of time if you try to tackle them at the very start.
    - Flag questions you are unsure about. If you are spending too long on a question, come back to it. You may find that a later question may help you to answer a previous one.
    - Go with your gut instinct. If you are unsure of a question, eliminate the answers you know are wrong and go with the answer that you think is correct first time around. DO NOT change your answer unless you are 100% sure. I've found that your first response is usually the right one.

I hope this information helps. The other posts above this are extremely useful to, especially about sleep. The only other thing I would add is don't do any study on the day of the exam. If you do this can make you paranoid and not fully focused on the exam. If you've done enough study weeks before the exam you shouldn't need to do any more on the actual day.

Good luck!
    2018 Goals: MCSA: Windows 10 (70-698, 70-697)
    2019 Goals: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 (70-740, 70-741, 70-742)

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, Project+, CASP, Mobility+ Beta, CCENT, CCNA, VCA-DCV, VCA-Cloud, MCTS:680
    Don't over think the questions....the first answer is usually the right one. Read the Myers A+ book and go over the exam objectives compared to your exam score sheet and you should be golden.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member
    Ive seen many good comments in here. I also have test anxity and its hard to over come. But like many have said get lots of rest before you go, take it later in the day, find and use practice questions. These have all helped me.
    Now go back and look at the sections you missed and work on those. Professer Messer has feee videos listen to those sections, re-read those sections and take notes.
    Last thing is we all fail thats life. Now cry eat some ice cream and tomorrow get up angry and fight back. You can do this.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member
    If you need a cheap voucher to retake the test I'm selling 2 for $75 each
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    A+ 901 N+Ceh-linux only reading
    very good answers
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member Registered Member
    sorry to read this. don't get discouraged.. not everyone has the same rhythm with exams, I am sure now that you have sited this one that you will pass the next time you give!
    Last edited by JDMurray; 05-15-2018 at 01:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Member
    Don't be discouraged! Think of it like this: Now you know what to expect so half the battle is already won. When I took the 901 a couple of weeks ago I barely past using the same materials: Exam Cram by Prowse and Prof Messer on Youtube. For me, I think the exam cram is barely enough to get by (hence cram). Try to use more in depth methods as listed above. What really helped me was the little bit of experience I did have from building computers and troubleshooting friends' computers. Dont be afraid to get your hands dirty! You got this man!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. D20

Certifications
    MCP
    Like everyone has already said...Don't be discouraged. I used the Prof Messer videos, the Mike Meyers A+ book, Prof Messer Quiz Notes, and study for about 4 months with about 2500+ practice questions and i barely passed my 220-901 test. I'm studying for the 220-902 now and i'm really drilling this info into my head so i know the material backwards and forwards for my test.

Just keep at it and don't give up.
    2018 Goals: Pass A+ 220-902 (June/July), Study for and pass Security+
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member

Certifications
    A+ 901 N+Ceh-linux only reading
    D20 how was the prof Messer Notes for the test (901).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. D20

Certifications
    MCP
    Quote Originally Posted by khaledit2015 View Post
    D20 how was the prof Messer Notes for the test (901).
    They were beneficial. Any questions in my opinion are worth it to get you thinking of how to get to the "best" answer.
    I will say...so far in my experience the questions from MeasureUp have been the closest to how they are asked on the actual A+ exam.
    2018 Goals: Pass A+ 220-902 (June/July), Study for and pass Security+
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks