+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last
Results 26 to 50 of 52
  1. Sie
    Sie is offline
    Running on caffine
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,207

    Certifications
    ADITP (Advanced Diploma for IT Practitioners) & MCSA (70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-299) | Currently working towards C|EH
    #26
    Just thinking.

    Your allowed to make 1 backup of software, if you own the original disk.

    You then lose or accidently break the orignal, thus you no longer have the orginal.

    Where do you stand and how can you prove this?

    How do they know Joe Bloggs 'backup' is not a backup and is indeed a copy?

    See what im getting at??
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    323

    Certifications
    yes
    #27
    There is a lot of grey area now. For example, the law allows you to make an archival copy. It used to be that you were allowed to break copy-protection schemes to do this. The DMCA made it a crime to break a copy-protection scheme. Now, on one hand, you are allowed to make a copy, but, on the other hand, you may not be allowed to make a copy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    21
    #28
    it doesn't seem fair that since i paid $300 for a set of really informative videos, i can't resell it since i won't be using it. maybe i could return it? i have a+ books and i don't need cbt nuggets for a reference. i just toally lost $300 and it's really driving me nuts.

    don't get me wrong cbt nuggets are great aids for certification. i LOVE them. we used to watch them in my network sec. class and its well worth the money because it's like being in a classroom. BUT SINCE THEY'RE MEDIA i think we should be allowed to resell them. especially because of the amount they are.

    cbt nuggets are sold on ebay btw
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    1,266

    Certifications
    MCSA 2000, MCSE 2003, Exchange 2000, CCNA, CCNA Security, CNE, A+, Network+, Security+
    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Sie
    Just thinking.

    Your allowed to make 1 backup of software, if you own the original disk.

    You then lose or accidently break the orignal, thus you no longer have the orginal.

    Where do you stand and how can you prove this?

    How do they know Joe Bloggs 'backup' is not a backup and is indeed a copy?

    See what im getting at??
    Keep the broken pieces. Also keep the orignal license agreement paper (though these days even that is in electronic form).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Master Control
    Posts
    257

    Certifications
    A+, MCP (270 & 290), CST, Network+ and _______ (to be continued...)
    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Sie
    Just thinking.

    Your allowed to make 1 backup of software, if you own the original disk.

    You then lose or accidently break the orignal, thus you no longer have the orginal.

    Where do you stand and how can you prove this?

    How do they know Joe Bloggs 'backup' is not a backup and is indeed a copy?

    See what im getting at??
    That kinda goes back to the "whatever you do with the backup is a different matter" theme to my earlier post...Say you make a copy and give it a friend who then does the same for another friend, etc...Who's to say that the others never owned it in the first place? Same goes with your original...if you don't keep financial records of what you bought to show proof, how does anyone know you ever owned the original?

    I think it's a never-ending battle...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    1,266

    Certifications
    MCSA 2000, MCSE 2003, Exchange 2000, CCNA, CCNA Security, CNE, A+, Network+, Security+
    #31
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahafirefly
    BUT SINCE THEY'RE MEDIA i think we should be allowed to resell them. especially because of the amount they are.
    It's not about the media, its about the information on the media. They treat it as a recording of a class as if you attended that class. If you attended a class that you paid for and some friends didn't, and the instructor allowed you to record that class so you could review, should your friends be permitted to keep or even view that recording rather than attend that class?

    How about always available anytime distance learning?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    21
    #32

    It's not about the media, its about the information on the media. They treat it as a recording of a class as if you attended that class. If you attended a class that you paid for and some friends didn't, and the instructor allowed you to record that class so you could review, should your friends be permitted to keep or even view that recording rather than attend that class?

    How about always available anytime distance learning?
    i understand where you're coming from. i just am personally angry about paying that amount of money for something i won't use. i'd rather return it and get a network + one instead.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Sie
    Sie is offline
    Running on caffine
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,207

    Certifications
    ADITP (Advanced Diploma for IT Practitioners) & MCSA (70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-299) | Currently working towards C|EH
    #33
    Just remember any knowledge is good knowledge and CBT Nuggets are good knowledge to start with
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    21
    #34
    you think i should go after a+ anyways? i talked to my mentor and he said i don't really need it. i could use it for a nice help desk job though. i'm working in biotech right now, the company happens to be owned by a huge IT company though. go figure.

    so my plan was to get my certs and what not then transfer
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    1,266

    Certifications
    MCSA 2000, MCSE 2003, Exchange 2000, CCNA, CCNA Security, CNE, A+, Network+, Security+
    #35
    Well, if you can prove you never used it, such as shrink wrap or other seals still intact, etc. then maybe you can convince them to refund your money. Morally I don't see a problem in reselling it if you really never used it, but you still may have a legal issue.

    But at the same time, they are treating it as a class session, except you can sit in that seat anytime YOU want. Typically if you pay for a class and don't show, you don't get your money back. The reason for this though is that you had a seat reserved that someone else could have used. However if a real class was able to get that seat filled in your place, they should refund your money minus reasonable administrative expenses. Hotels and plane fares should be subjected to those same criteria as well in my book.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. mikej412's caddy sprkymrk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    4,976

    Certifications
    MCP (NT4 Server), MCSA 2000, MCSA 2003, CCNA, Security+, Network+
    #36
    For those of you that have not purchased CBTNuggets for a couple of years, they now use WDRM on them. When you first use it on any computer you are required to log in with an email address and password. This was set up at the time of purchase. yamahafirefly would have to pass along this information. I'm not sure about y'all, but I am not going to let someone else use my email address and possibly a password I use for other stuff to watch these videos. Best bet - try calling CBTNuggets and explaining the situation. They may refund part/all of your money or let you transfer the license. Then again, they may not, but it's up to them. It's really not their fault you ordered the videos and decided not to use them.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    21
    #37
    i haven't used the cd yet (it's all on one cd if you didn't know). i haven't used an account yet. when i get home from work, i guess i'll call them and see if we can work something out. maybe i can do an exchange.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Alligator wrestler Moderator Plantwiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    here
    Posts
    4,931

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, iNET+, MCP, CST, CNST, CIW
    #38
    Quote Originally Posted by sprkymrk
    For those of you that have not purchased CBTNuggets for a couple of years, they now use WDRM on them. When you first use it on any computer you are required to log in with an email address and password. This was set up at the time of purchase. yamahafirefly would have to pass along this information. I'm not sure about y'all, but I am not going to let someone else use my email address and possibly a password I use for other stuff to watch these videos. Best bet - try calling CBTNuggets and explaining the situation. They may refund part/all of your money or let you transfer the license. Then again, they may not, but it's up to them. It's really not their fault you ordered the videos and decided not to use them.
    Agreed.


    Quote Originally Posted by yamahafirefly
    Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:23 pm Post subject:

    i haven't used the cd yet (it's all on one cd if you didn't know). i haven't used an account yet. when i get home from work, i guess i'll call them and see if we can work something out. maybe i can do an exchange.

    Yep, this is likely your best option.

    Just curious, how does a person spend $300 on something they are not going to use....particularly software related material these days? It's been a very long time since any software could be returned after purchase unless it is defective. I'm not picking on you, but really I am curious if there are still people who think it is possible to purchase something, and figure they can exchange it later?

    Worse case, call it a lesson leared on 'stupid tax' (Dave Ramsey term www.daveramsey.com ) We all do crazy things with money from time to time, basically 'stupid tax' is that money we've spent with good intention that we basically gave away and hopefully learned from the experience to not do it again.

    Anyway, again, your best option is to contact them. We cannot do anything in this thread about it, their contract is pretty clear so, call them up and hope for the best.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

    ***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

    'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    1,266

    Certifications
    MCSA 2000, MCSE 2003, Exchange 2000, CCNA, CCNA Security, CNE, A+, Network+, Security+
    #39
    I've paid quite a few of those taxes in my day. Often, but not limited to being on women.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    London, Ont.
    Posts
    24

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, MCP (70-270, 70-290).
    #40
    I have paid way too many of those taxes.

    I am torn on this one.

    On one side you agreed not to resell in the agreement and I can understand that CBT does not want pirate copies running around out there but to spend $300.00 and not be able to recoupe some of that is hard to swallow. I know I haven't bought one yet because it is just too much money for me right now(in school and not working). If CBT does not want anyone to resell their products maybe they could do a rental program. Give them $300.00 and when you return it in perfect condition they will refund you $250.00 or credit you towards another product. Maybe even set something up with Prometric to rent the videos from them and use your credit towards your cert. Just a thought.

    On the other side I have no problem burning a song or 2. I feel I am owed after years of buying cds, tapes, and records only to find out there is only one good song on the album. Perfect example is a band called cake. I heard their song on the radio and bought the cd only to find out the song I heard was written by someone else. The rest of the album was from them and was horrendous. It didn't even come close to the same style as the single. Then there are the bands that I have bought different albums from, find out they have a new album out, go and buy it only to find out it sucks.

    Sorry about the rant. The more I thought about it the more I got pissed off about all the crap cds I have.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. mikej412's caddy sprkymrk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    4,976

    Certifications
    MCP (NT4 Server), MCSA 2000, MCSA 2003, CCNA, Security+, Network+
    #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Danman32
    I've paid quite a few of those taxes in my day. Often, but not limited to being on women.
    That could be taken the wrong way danman!
    I guess you mean spending money on dates that don't become long term relationships as opposed to... Uhhh... something else.


    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    323

    Certifications
    yes
    #42
    Quote Originally Posted by xcanuc
    On the other side I have no problem burning a song or 2. I feel I am owed after years of buying cds, tapes, and records only to find out there is only one good song on the album. Perfect example is a band called cake. I heard their song on the radio and bought the cd only to find out the song I heard was written by someone else. The rest of the album was from them and was horrendous. It didn't even come close to the same style as the single. Then there are the bands that I have bought different albums from, find out they have a new album out, go and buy it only to find out it sucks.

    Sorry about the rant. The more I thought about it the more I got pissed off about all the crap cds I have.
    O.K. That is definitely a crime; it is theft, plain an simple. Personally, I don't wnat to be a criminal.

    There are ways around the crappy album. Most record stores will let you preview an album. It seems tha most on-line services let you preview a track and buy only that track.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Senior Member OpenSource's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    137

    Certifications
    AS: IT - Computer Network Systems, CompTIA A+
    #43
    O.K. That is definitely a crime; it is theft, plain an simple.
    You mean "and simple"? LOL
    But not necessarily, he never specified further on the meaning of "burning one or two songs". We have no idea how he does this and whether or not he is doing it in a legal manner that fully conforms to the law. There are several legal ways, I might add, regardless of the what the RIAA pirates will have you believe.

    - Joey
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    323

    Certifications
    yes
    #44
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenSource
    You mean "and simple"?
    Yes, last week's Microsoft security update has played havoc with my keyboard and mouse. They keep cutting in and out, and I try to fix everything but I do miss things. It only seems to be a problem with the USB versions, but my laptop only has one PS2 port and it doesn't support a splitter so they bought a USB keyboard and mouse for me. I still have a regular keyboard, but I have that at the office.

    Quote Originally Posted by OpenSource
    But not necessarily, he never specified further on the meaning of "burning one or two songs". We have no idea how he does this and whether or not he is doing it in a legal manner that fully conforms to the law. There are several legal ways, I might add, regardless of the what the RIAA pirates will have you believe.
    I think, based on the context, he is stealing the music. I know it is legal to rip music that you bought. I do that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Resident Underachiever EdTheLad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Globe trotter, nfa
    Posts
    2,116

    Certifications
    CCNP/CCIP/IE Written
    #45
    Blah blah blah, i'm sure all you great people never watched a pirated movie or listened to mp3 rips.never installed copied software apps on your pc's and never did anything wrong in your life... if yes please wakeup, we live in a corrupt world get used to it.
    Is it morally wrong? yes! do i care? No
    Is it morally wrong the producers of these goods charge too much? Yes, do they care? No, is it wrong that developing nations cant purchase these products due to lower economies? Yes, can we help them? Yes! How? Copy Copy Copy hahaha
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    323

    Certifications
    yes
    #46
    Quote Originally Posted by ed_the_lad
    Blah blah blah, i'm sure all you great people never watched a pirated movie or listened to mp3 rips.never installed copied software apps on your pc's and never did anything wrong in your life... if yes please wakeup, we live in a corrupt world get used to it.
    Is it morally wrong? yes! do i care? No
    Is it morally wrong the producers of these goods charge too much? Yes, do they care? No, is it wrong that developing nations cant purchase these products due to lower economies? Yes, can we help them? Yes! How? Copy Copy Copy hahaha
    I would respecfully suggest you put your technical studies on hold. You need to study ethics for a while. Ethics are more valued by an employer than are technical certifications.

    Do you cheat on your certification exams? If not, why not? Is it more wrong than committing a crime? Where do you draw the line?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Resident Underachiever EdTheLad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Globe trotter, nfa
    Posts
    2,116

    Certifications
    CCNP/CCIP/IE Written
    #47
    Maybe you should start a new forum called life according to BubbaJ,
    ethics ? Nah, what are they!
    Cheating on certs is a different story, that would be cheating myself.If somebody paid me to sit at home all day just to use my cert number, no problem then i would cheat.Since i actually want to work with and know the material i dont cheat.Now ethics, funny every company i work for has asked me to lie to customers about features supported, bandwidth provided etc etc.To get by in business, ethic go out the window.Anyway enough, i dont what to read you rant on about good and bad!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    323

    Certifications
    yes
    #48
    Quote Originally Posted by ed_the_lad
    Maybe you should start a new forum called life according to BubbaJ,
    ethics ? Nah, what are they!
    Cheating on certs is a different story, that would be cheating myself.If somebody paid me to sit at home all day just to use my cert number, no problem then i would cheat.Since i actually want to work with and know the material i dont cheat.Now ethics, funny every company i work for has asked me to lie to customers about features supported, bandwidth provided etc etc.To get by in business, ethic go out the window.Anyway enough, i dont what to read you rant on about good and bad!
    O.K., I understand. You're not a cheater, are a criminal, and would consider cheating under the proper circumstances. Someday, maybe, you will grow up.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Resident Underachiever EdTheLad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Globe trotter, nfa
    Posts
    2,116

    Certifications
    CCNP/CCIP/IE Written
    #49
    Ok my last words, call me what you like,but i dont go in for name calling, and you say i should grow up.Try and learn some manners as this is a forum and i'm entitled to my opinion if you agree or not.Sometimes by saying nothing you say more.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    323

    Certifications
    yes
    #50
    Quote Originally Posted by ed_the_lad
    i'm entitled to my opinion if you agree or not.
    As am I.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks