View Poll Results: Are you going to 'update' your A+?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 17.35%
  • No

81 82.65%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCNA, MCSA, 70-293, MCTS: Vista
    Will only do it if the boss requires and pays for it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member
    i did a practice test with prep logic or something similar and scored 80% or so using the new objectives .

the questions seemed similar to the one i remember from my A+ exam

i did my test 2 years ago
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+

Default I can't look back

I'm not looking back at A+. Personally, I'm too swamp with CCNA, Security+ and an AA degree. And occasional contract work too.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    GIAC GCFW, MCSE:Security, CCNA,CCSP, CCSA,CCSE, C|EH, VCP, Server+, Linux+, Security+, Network+, I-Net+, A+

Default A+ Update

I don't see the need to re-invent the wheel. If you got your A+ in the first place, chances are you did it to become a better qualified IT pro. I think we have all moved past the A+ level and are seeking to attain higher certs as we improve our skillset. Why recertify in a cert that requires no recertification?

Just my $.02
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Linux+
    I will not be updating my A+.

much like others have said it's a certification that gets your foot in the door. Who needs to show off new A+ 06 skills? A+ is basic dude. The Return of Investment of the A+ is nil.

A+ gets you in a starting position so you can build upon that foundation of knowledge.

IMO:
    A+ = PC repair, assembly etc.
    Net+ = Tech support, network lacie, etc.
    Security+ = Its popular right now because of the 9/11 incident. Everyones worried about their data being phished.
    MCSA/MCSE/CCNA/CCNP + any other higher certs = Network Admins, Analysts, Engineers, big wigs, etc.

You also have your specific certs or others that are just icing on the cake.

I obtain certifications for a couple of reasons. 1. to give me an edge over competition in the employers eyes. 2. to increase my knowledge in a specific area. and 3. return of investment. If your not making more dough for your newly obtained knowledge it's not worth it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST.
    I only took my A+ at the end of last year so I don't feel the need to retake it.

I would imagine the newer exam has alot less focus on older MS-DOS and Windows 95/98 topics now and more focus of Windows 2000/XP which should make it a little easier imo.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, MCSA2K3, Extreme Networks, iBoss, Bachelors in Business Management, MBA - Information Systems
    No way here. I've had mine 11 years!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA A+
    No. I got mine a year ago 4/6/06. (right before the 06' format released.) I'm studying for the MCDST now & probably the Network+ after that. I have the A+. That's the first of many hurdles. I don't feel like jumping over the same one twice & hop I can spend the study time working on something more advanced... since, with my background NOT being in IT the A+ alone isn't likely to get me where I want to be.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCDX:NV - A+ Net+ Sec+ MCSA08 CISSP CCNA B.S. IT/WGU
    I will not be updating my certification for alot of the same reasons others here are not, my employer doesn't care and just about all potential employers don't care what objectives you were certified under. +I am currently busy studying 70-293 and others for MCSE
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Member

Certifications
    MCSA 2003, MCITP: EST & CST, MCTS: Vista, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+
    I will not be updating mine (certified in 2005). As others have said, it is an entry-level cert, and you are certified for life.

Your time and money would be better spent studying for the next level of certs. I'm working on MCDST right now, and then onto MCSA/MCSE.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BS: IT, CCNA, CCENT, CCDA, MCTIP:SA, MCTS, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+, CIW Professional
    I can't afford to do it, seems too pricey just to say I "updated" it. I am going after N+ and then on to other certifications.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. aka KitKatNinja

Certifications
    Alot - Microsoft, Citrix, HP, Apple, Comptia and VMWare
    I won't be updating my A+, unless it was a requirement and the company was going to pay for it.

-Ken
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Member

Certifications
    A+ , Network+ , MCP (70-270)
    I won't be redoing mine either.

Does anyone else think that they are going the wrong direction with the A+ now? I just don't see the point of having multiple paths. When I was doing the class for my A+ I barely when what the certs where let alone what career path I wanted to take...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+ certified
    No, unless an employer requests.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+ Comptia

Default A+ compTIA update.

No I will not update my A+compTIA like you have stated it's a life computer qualification i prefare to stay reading on sites like techexam and going to the internetcafe on weekdays and read about latest technology. I will upgrade it thou

Wonder Mlangeni
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA A+
    No point
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks