View Poll Results: Are you going to 'update' your A+?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 17.35%
  • No

81 82.65%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    MCSE NT4 MCSA 2000/2003 Security+ (expired: CWNA, CNA, CCNA)

Default Are you going to 'update' your A+?

CompTIA certifications are for life, which means you do not need to recertify your A+ by passing. You or your employer for example, may feel different about it. Whether it's just for fun, or you want to study the new exam objectives to stay current with the current or latest technologies, or as a resume enhancer, we'd like to know if you are going to 'update' your A+ to the 2006 objectives.

Please do not answer the poll if you currently do not hold an A+ certification or plan to finish the 2003 A+.

Also, feel free to reply and let us know why or why not.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, CNST, HDI/HDA, MCSA 2K3 +Messaging, MCSE 2K3

Default Voted No

I won't be re-certifying my A+.

I feel that it's an entry level certification, and as I'm already working in IT there are better uses that I can out my time, effort and money into to improve my qualifications.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, MCSE 2k3
    No, unless an employer forces me! lol
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, Certified AssClown
    Not I

My company doesn't care, and I like the posters above consider it entry level, and I'm already way past the A+ stuff where I'm at now... although, I do find myself playing with mother boards at home still.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Alligator wrestler Moderator Plantwiz's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, iNET+, MCP, CST, CNST, CIW
    Nope.

Think of the exam similar to a college (University) education. When I completed my Accounting Degree, I will hold that degree the rest of my life regardless if the University changes the curriculum or not.

Same thing here. So no I will not replace any computer certification or re-test for any certification unless it is a requirement of the certificaiton prior to holding it.

FWIW

Also, if I didn't work with this material on a daily basis I may feel differently, but I haven't left the hardware side of things and likely won't be any time soon.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, B.S. in Management Infomation Systems
    Would love to but don't have the time to study for it again. I am currently working on my MCSA.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2000, studying for CCNA.
    I'm not
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    Comptia A+, N+, Security+, CCENT, MCP, MCSA/Messaging/Security 2003, MCSE/Security 2003
    Nah i dont think i will be doing over this vert at all what so ever. Bigger and better certs i am after now. hahaha
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA,CCDA,CCDP,CCNP,Net+,I-Net+,Sec+,Server+,XP,Win2003, NT Work 4.0, Word/Excel 2000, Associate, Bachelor, Master Information Sys Man
    I guess I will have to say no. I was a technician in the past, but now I work as a Systems Analyst. I would rather go towards Microsoft or Cisco Certifications. However, I will go after other CompTIA certification including Convergence+ and HTI+ (but this will be it for CompTIA).

I feel that they should stregthen the Network+. I mean why have a networking exam without subnetting questions...

Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+
    Im working on my N+ now and have so far not been able to find any kind of IT job with the A+, so after my N+ I might do it to give me an edge over a few people. It might not do anything but its worth a go.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. uke
    I voted "no".

Main reason, spending $158 per exam times 2 exams comes to $316, which I can't justify spending to "refresh" a perfectly goot certification. Now if my employer paid for it up front and required me to take it, then I guess I'd do it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ Network+ MCP, MCSA
    I won't be taking it unless forced to basically because I don't feel I needed it in the first place but I got it as it is sort of a "requirement" for almost any positionin IT to get your foot in the door.

also I think it's just a money maker so I hope that comptia doesn't get many people to re-cert or persue the different tracks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, MCP (70-270, 70-290), working on 70-291
    No, there are bigger fish to fry now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    ISA, A+, Network+, I-Net+, IBM, HP
    I feel that it's an entry level certification, and as I'm already working in IT there are better uses that I can out my time, effort and money into to improve my qualifications.
    AGREED!!

unless my employer says something to me about it (which I know they won't). I'm done with A+ for life. I dont even think i'd retake it if they did away with the whole, "certified for life" thing they currently have.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCSE, MCSA Messaging, A+, Server+, SCP
    NO, as Comptia said that if youre an A+ cert, its foreever. thats it....If you want to know the new technology, just go to the computer store or buy A+ upgrade book and study it. I will just focus on Microsoft, Cisco and CWNA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ Net+ Security+ MCP (70-290)
    No. Just wouldn't be worth the time and money right now.
    However, might be worth reading the new technology information in 6-7 years from now. Whether I would then recertify then, depends on how much time I have to commit to it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    I have no plans to update my A+ certification, especially since it is a lifetime certification. The reason is the same one I gave to the president of the networking club at my college, when he was complaining that you can only retake classes two times, and there "is no other way to keep updated": Once an A+, always an A+.

Processor speeds change, frontside bus speeds change, memory capacities change, but the fundamentals of what you learned do not. There is still a motherboard, CPU(s), memory, storage, input/output, printers, etc. Any good A+ candidate should be able to go out and look at what's new on a site like Newegg, and be up to date as to what new hardware is available, (even if you've been out of the loop for a while). Windows has changed since the first edition of A+, but then the same rules apply. You have to be able to install the OS, troubleshoot the OS, perform basic tasks such as setting up printers, installing software, etc. . . You know what you need the software to do, just go out and look up how it's done at the current time.

In the end, certifications aren't about specifics of each particular type of technology. They are designed to display a particular level of proficiency with those technologies. Once you have that baseline knowledge and experience, you go out and get yourself a good "In A Nutshell" book, if you need to relearn some minute detail(s).

-------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network +

Default A+ Re-certification

I won't be updating my A+ because my employer does not require it.
    Believe it or not I took mine in 1993 when it was in Beta with 315 questions!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member

Certifications
    ECDL, A+, Network+, CCNA, MCP (70-270), Study 70-290
    No, i have A+ and N+ only for my MCSA 2003.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. You Don't See Me

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, MCSA:M:S 2003, MCSE:S 2003, C|EH, C|HFI, CCENT, CISSP
    Nope...won't be taking it and in my experience, employers don't care about the year of this certification...it's the fact that you have it.

If I should work for an employer who requests the upgrade, then I would. But in that case, I would expect my employer to pay for the training, exams, and time to fulfill this requirement.

Famos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, Server+, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2008, Google Certified Associate - G Suite Administrator
    I am not going to update my A+ unless the 220-605 exam is an Apple Hardware/Mac OS exam. I heard that it was going to be but it might just be a rumor. Does anybody know?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Alligator wrestler Moderator Plantwiz's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, iNET+, MCP, CST, CNST, CIW
    Quote Originally Posted by sthomas
    I am not going to update my A+ unless the 220-605 exam is an Apple Hardware/Mac OS exam. I heard that it was going to be but it might just be a rumor. Does anybody know?
    I've not heard this. Where did you hear/read it? Or When?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE, MCSA, CNA, CCNA (expired), Project+, Linux+, CNE (expired), OCA MySQL 5, ITIL Foundation
    Quote Originally Posted by sthomas
    I'd actually consider doing the A+ update if they had a Mac-specific exam. Otherwise, I doubt I'd update unless it became necessary somehow.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, Server+, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2008, Google Certified Associate - G Suite Administrator
    I've not heard this. Where did you hear/read it? Or When?
    I actually read it on another forum a couple of months ago. Someone posted it on examnotes.net I think, of course it may not be true. I was just curious if anyone on this forum heard anything about it. Maybe I will contact CompTIA directly.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCP, MCSA(2003) MCDST, A+, Net+, Security+, Linux+, CNST, AAS-Networking
    No, I feel if have years of experience behind it why do it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks