+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    B.S. - IT, A.A.S. - Networking, CISSP, CCSP, GMON, GCIH, CCNA-S, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+

Default A+ Certified! Passed 701 and 702!!

Finally got my A+ and can finally add this cert to my resume!

The Practical Applications exam was much more difficult than Essentials. Essentials basically consisted of hard facts and numbers...where Practical Applications left me scratching my head a number of times over questions that I honestly have never had to deal with, what so ever in my experiences in tech support.

I got hit by many NTFS file permission related questions and a lot of Windows 7 folder directory location questions.

My studying primarily consisted of the Exam Cram book and a whole lot of googling. The Exam Cram book was a good refresher...however, I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a book to simply help you get through the exams as I was... There has to be a better book than this.

Good luck to everyone else taking the A+ exams!
    Last edited by itsgonnahappen; 04-28-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A+, ITIL v3, ISO 20K, ISO 27K
    Congratulations on the pass! What certification do you plan on pursuing next?

I'm currently studying for my A+ exams and using the Professor Messer videos as an introduction and the Exam Cram book for more in-depth study. In what way did you find the book lacking? Thanks. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. - IT, A.A.S. - Networking, CISSP, CCSP, GMON, GCIH, CCNA-S, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+
    Thanks! I'm currently pursuing my Security+ cert. I would certainly recommend Messer's videos as I find his style of teaching to be effective. As far as the exam cram book... I was looking for a book to give me everything I needed and nothing I don't. However, I felt like it didn't give me everything I needed and gave me a whole lot of what I didn't. I had at least 20 questions between both of my exams that weren't covered or undercovered that I was tested on.

I'd give the overall usefulness of the book for my purposes a 3.5/5.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    Congrats on pass!!
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, N+, CCNA
    Congratulations on the pass!

I used Mike Meyers All In One for my A+ studies. The problem was weighing in at around 1200 pages there certainly was material that lacked relevance.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member
    1200 pages for A+ eeeek
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member YuckTheFankees's Avatar

Certifications
    A few..
    Congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT Security, A.A.S. Electronics Engineering Technology, ITIL V.3, A+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA (R&S, Security), MTA: 98-364
    Congrats!!
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Member
    Big CONGRATS!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member
    Kudos on passing your exams! Looking forward to taking and passing mine soon. I'm also using Exam Cram and a couple of videos.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, N+, CCENT
    itsgonnahappen, i completely agree with the "practical" applications test felt harder. Glade you passed and good luck on your future
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Network Engineer techie2012's Avatar

Certifications
    A+; Net+; Sec+; Proj+; CCNA; CCNA: Sec; A.A.S Network Administration B.S IT:Security
    Congrats on the pass! I forgot just how thick thick that book was. Whats next?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    Congrats on the pass!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+
    Congrats on passing!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT, CCNA R&S, MCP, MCTS Win 7 Config, A+/N+/S+/P+, CIW Web Design/Foundations/JavaScript
    Congrats on your pass...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgonnahappen View Post
    The Practical Applications exam was much more difficult than Essentials. Essentials basically consisted of hard facts and numbers...where Practical Applications left me scratching my head a number of times over questions that I honestly have never had to deal with, what so ever in my experiences in tech support.

I got hit by many NTFS file permission related questions and a lot of Windows 7 folder directory location questions.

/sigh

I'm taking both A+ exams day after tomorrow and I have always hated this whole folder path questioning. I mean if something changes from XP to Vista to Windows 7 then is this something we should be memorizing or is it more important that we know how to accomplish the specific tasks.

I get why they do it, but I disagree that it is the pertinent knowledge one needs to know. After all, if I really need to know where OSBSCURE.DLL is located, I can just type it in the search box.

Grats on the pass!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BAA: Network Administration | AAS: IT | MCSA: Server 2012, Office 365, Win 7, Win 8 | MCITP: EDST, EDA | CCNA | CompTIA CompTIA A+, N+ P+, S+
    Congrats
    Goals for 2017: MCSE : Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (Q1); MCS: Server Virtualization (Q2); MCSA : Server 2016 (Q3 2017)
    Additional Goals: MCSE : Messaging
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Server+,A+, N+, MCDST, HDI/SCA, MCP, ITIL Foundations 2011, VCA5-DCV,VCA5-Cloud, MTA 98-364
    Congratz on the pass!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks