+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Ya, but why the heck do I still do that when I have more than a gig in my machine???????
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, N+
    maybe it harks back to the days when memory was not as cheap, and most machines seem to run around the mimum requirment for memory.

the first computer that i had for personal use was a 486/66 with 8mb ram and 500mb hdd. it ran windows 95 and myself and my sister did so much browsing on the internet that we often had to delete the temporary internet files folder while browsing to make sure there was enough space for the swap file as we had barely enough ram to run the machine.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    MCSE NT4 MCSA 2000/2003 Security+ (expired: CWNA, CNA, CCNA)
    Im my case it wasn't the money that was the problem, there just wouldn't fit more than 655KB in my 286...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I just gave away my first computer to a friend on Monday evening. It was a Digital Venturis 486 - the most ram I ever had in it was 48mb, but when I gave it to him I had 60 something in it. I was just using it as a firewall for a while, but someone needed a small system for simple word processing. That machine when new had 8mb installed and from memory the retail price for the machine was over 10 grand *gulp*
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks