+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCP
    Thanks very much for the comments. I think the next step is the FSMO seizure, I seem to have some pretty good notes from MS on that one. However, being the stickler I am for preparation, I don't have a total confirmation from HP on the Raid1 break / restore situation, so when I have that in hand, hopefully tomorrow, I'll go with the seizure. By the way, any easy way to verify the RID Master transference?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    Quote Originally Posted by jtdaly
    Thanks very much for the comments. I think the next step is the FSMO seizure, I seem to have some pretty good notes from MS on that one. However, being the stickler I am for preparation, I don't have a total confirmation from HP on the Raid1 break / restore situation, so when I have that in hand, hopefully tomorrow, I'll go with the seizure. By the way, any easy way to verify the RID Master transference?
    Yeah its pretty straight forward:

Seize FSMO roles
    To seize the FSMO roles by using the Ntdsutil utility, follow these steps:
    1. Log on to a Windows 2000 Server-based or Windows Server 2003-based member computer or domain controller that is located in the forest where FSMO roles are being seized. We recommend that you log on to the domain controller that you are assigning FSMO roles to. The logged-on user should be a member of the Enterprise Administrators group to transfer schema or domain naming master roles, or a member of the Domain Administrators group of the domain where the PDC emulator, RID master and the Infrastructure master roles are being transferred.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type ntdsutil in the Open box, and then click OK.
    3. Type roles, and then press ENTER.
    4. Type connections, and then press ENTER.
    5. Type connect to server servername, and then press ENTER, where servername is the name of the domain controller that you want to assign the FSMO role to.
    6. At the server connections prompt, type q, and then press ENTER.
    7. Type seize role, where role is the role that you want to seize. For a list of roles that you can seize, type ? at the fsmo maintenance prompt, and then press ENTER, or see the list of roles at the start of this article. For example, to seize the RID master role, type seize rid master. The one exception is for the PDC emulator role, whose syntax is seize pdc, not seize pdc emulator.
    8. At the fsmo maintenance prompt, type q, and then press ENTER to gain access to the ntdsutil prompt. Type q, and then press ENTER to quit the Ntdsutil utility.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504
    As for breaking the mirror my suggestion would be to just remove one of the drives (if you don't have hot-swap drives, make sure to shutdown first).

To view the FSMO Masters, and assuming you have installed the Windows 2000/2003 Support Tools (on the O/S installation CD in the \SUPPORT directory), run the following from a command prompt:

netdom query /domain:<domain> fsmo
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCP
    Great info. Looks like what I have been seeing online, but nice to hear it from someone real.
    Yea, the mirror break, restore is my next issue. The breaking is easy, the (proper) recovery could be the interesting part!

Going home, will sleep on it. Definately want the second DC online before this next hurricane makes it into GA!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA:Security, CWNA, CWSP,CEH, NCIE,Security+, Linux+, MCSE, MCSA:Messaging, MCP,BS in MIS, MOUS,
    In the event you don't have the support tools installed and can't for whatever reason (I only bring it up because it's happened to me )

If you use ntdsutil and connect up to a DC, then run "select operation target" and "list roles for connected server" you can see the roles the DC knows.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCP
    Thanks for that option too.

Just ran "netdom query /domain:<domain> fsmo" and determined that the extinct DC has all fsmo roles, as suspected. This is what you were getting at, right?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks