+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE: Server 2003, TS: Exchange Server 2007 Configuration
    I just became a MCSA and can describe the basic principals; probably not to the degree some may desire. However, the MCSA courses are "management" courses, not design. Therefore, many may not have the exposure to know an engineer's expected response to a question of this nature.

just my nickle.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP: EA, EMA; MCSE 2000/2003: M; MCSE 2000: S; MCSA 2000/2003: S; MCTS: ISA 2006; VCP3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by royal View Post
    I interviewed a candidate and asked how AD is dependent on DNS and he had no idea. He was interviewing for Notes to Exchange Migrations and AD. An AD consultant not knowing how AD is dependent on DNS or doesn't know how DNS on the internet works = no thanks.

You don't want me on a technical interview. I will definitely make sure you know your ****.
    I asked a candidate to replace me at my last job, "On which name resolution technology is Active Directory dependent?"

He said (and this is something Royal should appreciate the most), "What's name resolution?"

When I explained what it was, as if he hadn't already killed his chances, he said, "OHHHHH... WINS!!!"

My reaction was simply saying, "I'm done!"

Needless to say he didn't get the job.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCSE, MCSA Messaging, A+, Server+, SCP
    "Ohhhhh WINS" LOL hahahahahahaha... But seriously, my answer for this is just as simple as that AD uses DNS as its domain naming and location service.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member Nishesh.Prasad's Avatar

Certifications
    VCP 5 DCV, VCP 4, MCITP EA 2008, MCSE 2003 Security, CCNA, ITIL V3, Security+, MCDST
    ookay !

The last time i had a look there were 5 posts. I happened to bump in today ... 27 posts ! Looks like a lot happened here. I kinda' gave up on this thread after the initial posts that were put in ... but looks like it turned out to be pretty nice eventually.

well ... Mr 'Trackit' ... u read my mind ! Thank You.

Mr 'rwwest7' .. MCSA 2003 ... and pretty sure that the material covers it all. Looks like you found your answer yourself when you had probably digged in through the material. Does that raise a question about how you acquired your Cert ? Friend .... even after you're done with The 294 and go by the 'Cert Material' ... you would still Struggle to come up with an answer close to your own satisfaction. DCPromo ... and a couple of Next buttons with an AD-Integrated DNS = Life is Good. Configure standalone DNS servers in a multidomain environment .. a couple of DCs .. failing to register the SRVs .. you get a reality touch. Have done that in the past .. and i know it ... and that is what MY answer was to the guy on the other Side - SRVs [DC Locator] .. locating GCATs .. DNS Zone Delegation in a multidomain environment .. and so on n so forth ! BUT ... They expected my answer to also have the blueprint of how AD stores DNS Objects within Directory Partitions .. and i have a very little knowledge about it... needless to say i could'nt explain it. So all i expected when i started the Topic is wether any of you guys would actually include that part initially in your answer ? But the whole point got a bit skewed. I could have mentioned everything in the first post .. but what good would that have been ? If i am wrong .. i apologise.

Mr 'Royal' .. you look like you know your **** pretty well. I would really appreciate if you could give us a few of the 'must-knows' of this sort since you have interviewed people in the past. It would'nt harm.

I have been away for long now ... trying to cover up 294 ... and hold on to my Job in these trying times. It was amazing to see that the question actually caught quite a few people napping ... including me in the Interview.

Did I get the Job - NO.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member
    In case if you didn't know, this link is very helpful, it is an interview questionnaire with answer for active directory. Although I couldn't find the question given here but there are a lot of other question they may ask. Also on this site, they have for exchange interviewer since most of the time, you will see active directory/exchange
    Interview Based Question AD DNS FSMO GPO
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCP (70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 294) MCTS (70-236) MCSA 2003: Messaging 2007/2010. VCP 4.1
    Thanks. Thats a fantastic resource. I've stored it safely for future interviews!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks