+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ...Fell Short

1. One Man Wolfpac NetAdmin2436's Avatar

Certifications
    AAS in Computer Networking, MCSE 2003, Network+, Security+, A+

Default ...Fell Short

Well, Monday I took this test and failed with a 624. I was extremely disappointed because I feel I know the material. I thought the first 20 questions were pretty straight forward and easy.....Then the second part of the test I came across the more wordy questions and must have lost my concentration and misread or something. None of the content really confused me, it was more or less trying to figure out what exactly they were asking that kind of threw me. A couple questions I thought were more like riddles, then questions. Manage and Maintain an Active Directory Infrastructure was my lowest scoring section, which I got like 50% on.

Materials used:
    MS Press Book
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/70-2...resources.html
    Preplogic Practice Exams/Audio CD's/Mega Guide
    MCSE in a nutshell
    Home lab

Needless to say after I failed Monday I went to the gym and did cardio for 90 mins to blow off some steam. So not only do I have a crushed soul today, but my legs really hurt.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Bummer. I know you know your stuff, netadmin. Only missed it by 2-3 questions. Damn Microsoft, first you got to decrypt the questions, then figure out the right answer between closely matching choices. You'll do fine next time. I know how it feels buddy, I too failed my CCNA twice.
    Last edited by Essendon; 04-15-2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: too many beers last night...
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA:2008, VCP4/5, CCA (XS), MCITP: EA/VA, MCSE, MCSA, Linux+, Security+, Server+, A+
    This one is a really rough exam. A bit of a sleeping beast. Don't take it too hard, I was just short of your position with a flat 700 for this exam. Rally on up, refresh your memory, and go back and nail it. Like Essendon said, we know you know your stuff so I'm confident you'll nail it next time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    Aw, sorry to hear that. This one really caught me off-guard in terms of difficulty as well.

You used the second shot right? Knock that sucker out, so we can go celebrate!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. One Man Wolfpac NetAdmin2436's Avatar

Certifications
    Thanks for the vote of confidence guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    You used the second shot right? Knock that sucker out, so we can go celebrate!
    Yeah, I'm using my second shot offer so I guess it's not the end of the world. Just disappointing...I have it rescheduled in two weeks.

Acapulco's this time? Now that will give me motivation. Nothing better than Mexican food and beer.

Well back to studying for now
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:CP&I, SI, MCITPx2, MCSAx2, MCTSx7, VCP6/5/4/3(DCV), EMCISA, Sec+, ITILv3F, legacy MS
    Unlucky fella, but you're not far off at all and I agree with it being a bit of a sleeping beastie too. You'll get this next time.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. One Man Wolfpac NetAdmin2436's Avatar

Certifications
    A week and a half ago I failed again with a 662. After the time had expired, I was reviewing the questions I marked and realized there were 3 questions that were pretty much all the same. In fact, I swear 2 of them were identical. After re-reading the questions for like the 5th time I finally realized what they were asking. I put the same answer for all of them, and of course they were all wrong. DOH! Frustrating knowing you've done what they were asking like a 1000 times on your live production network.

Man, I'm on a horrible streak right now with my last two exams (293 and 294).

Anyways, I added the Syngress book to my studies and I'm about a 1/4 way through that. There are a few things in the Syngress book that MS Press does not cover, but it seems like just mostly review at this point. I going to reschedule in another couple weeks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    SAS Certified Base Programmer, MCSE, MCSA:S, VCP, Sec+, Project+, Net+, A+, CIW Pro/Database, BS-IT
    What's your opinion of the MCSE in a Nutshell section for 294?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:CP&I, SI, MCITPx2, MCSAx2, MCTSx7, VCP6/5/4/3(DCV), EMCISA, Sec+, ITILv3F, legacy MS
    Quote Originally Posted by NetAdmin2436 View Post
    A week and a half ago I failed again with a 662. After the time had expired, I was reviewing the questions I marked and realized there were 3 questions that were pretty much all the same. In fact, I swear 2 of them were identical. After re-reading the questions for like the 5th time I finally realized what they were asking. I put the same answer for all of them, and of course they were all wrong. DOH! Frustrating knowing you've done what they were asking like a 1000 times on your live production network.

Man, I'm on a horrible streak right now with my last two exams (293 and 294).

Anyways, I added the Syngress book to my studies and I'm about a 1/4 way through that. There are a few things in the Syngress book that MS Press does not cover, but it seems like just mostly review at this point. I going to reschedule in another couple weeks.
    Keep going, you'll get this! It's a pretty hard test so don't feel too bad. It'll make it all the more sweeter when you do get that MCSE (which you will, 'cos I wont let up until you do )
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, A+, Network +, CCENT,Bachelors of Science in Business Information System, ITILF
    Keep going dude, nobody can fail it as much as I did, you are probably 2 questions away from a pass. I got a lot of the same questions over and over throughout my 6 test sessions, thank God I passed on the last one. 70-294 sucks, I only took 70-291 3 times and passed with an 810 on the third attempt.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. One Man Wolfpac NetAdmin2436's Avatar

Certifications
    Thanks bertieb, I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by bwcarty View Post
    What's your opinion of the MCSE in a Nutshell section for 294?
    I think it's a good 3rd or 4th study resource. Unless you have years of experience, I would not rely solely on it for these exams. It more or less just gives you an overview of each section that is tested on. It's pretty straight forward and to the point, which is nice because they make the sections a lil' shorter. It makes for good reading while doing my hour of cardio at the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Coax31
    Keep going dude, nobody can fail it as much as I did
    Just wait. I have proven a lot of people wrong in my lifetime.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. One Man Wolfpac NetAdmin2436's Avatar

Certifications
    So today I went and (re)retook the exam. I just barely squeaked by and am once again a proud 700 club member

Anyways, on to the 297. Please, please, please tell me the 297 isn't like the 293 and 294 exams....can't....take....much....more....of....th is.

I bought the 297 Syngress book a while back so we'll see how this goes.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    Dude, the design exams are the worst of the entire lot. Good luck with that

Welcome to the club and congrats on the pass though
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Member Extraordinaire genXrcist's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA:V MCITP:EA/EMA2K10 MCSE:S MCSA:M MCDST A+/Net+/Sec+
    *Applause* Way to go Net! Yeah, the ambiguity of these exams are killer! Given you feel comfortable with the material and use it at work, I'd say who cares if you got a 700! Well done!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Your the man, netadmin. Who cares if you got a 700 or a 900, we know you know your stuff and you know it too.

So just the one more to go, eh? Guess I have some catching up to do, am stuck with company requirements (ITIL, 622) and the Win7 beta.
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Question Mark Member rjbarlow's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, MCSA 2k3: Messaging, MCP, 70-285. WIP: 70-236, 70-293
    man, your persevering has been tight and that paid off definitely.

Now
    Last edited by rjbarlow; 05-17-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: bad grammar...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Huge congrats! I knew you would knock this one out soon.

Good luck with the last one, I haven't done 297.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA:2008, VCP4/5, CCA (XS), MCITP: EA/VA, MCSE, MCSA, Linux+, Security+, Server+, A+
    Woohoo! Congratulations! Looking forward to you nailing that 297 with a 700 now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    JNCIP-SEC, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIA-JunOS, CCNA, CCENT, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, MCP, Network+, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by NetAdmin2436 View Post
    So today I went and (re)retook the exam. I just barely squeaked by and am once again a proud 700 club member

Anyways, on to the 297. Please, please, please tell me the 297 isn't like the 293 and 294 exams....can't....take....much....more....of....th is.

I bought the 297 Syngress book a while back so we'll see how this goes.

You get an "atta boy from me" I am the epitome of SLACKER when its comes to MCSE.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks