+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    13

    Certifications
    CISM, CASP,CEH,CDNA, Security +, Linux +, LPIC-1, ITIL Foundation V3
    #1

    Default CASP Failed 10-12-16

    Took the CASP exam this morning, there were 80 questions and 8 Performance based mostly drag and drop. I been studying for 2 months using Cybrary, Udemy, Fed-Vte, Skillport, and I read the Official CASP study book. I am so mentally drained right now. I will reattack the test in 2-3 weeks any informative advice would be great. I am really pissed right now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    455
    #2
    Dang, sorry to hear that. If I were you, I'd probably look deep into the what the answers to the simulations are that you had. If you can ace those the next time around (if you get them again), then the multiple choice won't be as necessary to get right. And if you remember anything from the multiple choice that you struggled with, focus on those concepts too. Good luck in your second attempt!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. I drink and I know things Ertaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    671

    Certifications
    CISSP, CASP, CSA+, GPEN, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+, MCP
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by daboola View Post
    Took the CASP exam this morning, there were 80 questions and 8 Performance based mostly drag and drop. I been studying for 2 months using Cybrary, Udemy, Fed-Vte, Skillport, and I read the Official CASP study book. I am so mentally drained right now. I will reattack the test in 2-3 weeks any informative advice would be great. I am really pissed right now.
    Dude, this is hard test. Many folks here take it more than once. It's compounded by the fact that there aren't any good practice exams for it. Keep at it. Focus on what the results say you need to work on and go over those chapters of the book with those questions in mind. You will get it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member shochan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    434

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, i-Net+, Server+, Security+, MCP 70-210, Novell CNA 5.0
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by daboola View Post
    Took the CASP exam this morning, there were 80 questions and 8 Performance based mostly drag and drop. I been studying for 2 months using Cybrary, Udemy, Fed-Vte, Skillport, and I read the Official CASP study book. I am so mentally drained right now. I will reattack the test in 2-3 weeks any informative advice would be great. I am really pissed right now.
    2 months?? That's it? I would have studied at a minimum of 6 months up to a year...Keep at it dooder, study over & over until you know everything left, right, up, down, etc...best of luck on your next exam! Cheers!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Cisco addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    180

    Certifications
    CCNA R/Security, NSE4/FCNSA, AS Network design, Net/SEC/A +
    #5
    How long have you been in the field?

    Doesn't CASP have a minimum limit of a couple of years experience before they recognize/allow you to take the exam??
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Arizona (not a native)
    Posts
    103

    Certifications
    CISSP, CASP, GCFA, C|EH v8, C|NDA, RDRP (Registered DoD RMF Practitioner), Sec+, MCSE-NT4, A+
    #6
    @SpetsRepair No, CompTIA does not require a set number of years experience for CASP. There's a recommendation of "10 years experience in IT administration, including at least 5 years of hands-on technical security experience." https://certification.comptia.org/ce...y-practitioner

    You can have more than the recommended amount of experience and still fail. Certification exams demonstrate your ability to pass an exam. That's it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member shochan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    434

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, i-Net+, Server+, Security+, MCP 70-210, Novell CNA 5.0
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by trueshrewkmc View Post
    @SpetsRepair No, CompTIA does not require a set number of years experience for CASP. There's a recommendation of "10 years experience in IT administration, including at least 5 years of hands-on technical security experience." https://certification.comptia.org/ce...y-practitioner

    You can have more than the recommended amount of experience and still fail. Certification exams demonstrate your ability to pass an exam. That's it.
    I see you have both CASP & Sec+...did CASP seem that much more difficult than Sec+ to you?? I was taking a CASP assessment exam on one of CompTIA's CASP 2nd edition books and it seemed very similar to me after passing the Sec+ exam. I am sure they go into more detail, but was just curious.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    455
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by shochan View Post
    I see you have both CASP & Sec+...did CASP seem that much more difficult than Sec+ to you?? I was taking a CASP assessment exam on one of CompTIA's CASP 2nd edition books and it seemed very similar to me after passing the Sec+ exam. I am sure they go into more detail, but was just curious.
    It's not even close. Sec+ you need to know definitions, and maybe apply a concept here and there, to pass the test. CASP, you need to know the definitions in order to somewhat understand the question, and also be able to apply two or three concepts over the top of each other to get that one answer right. Then you need to be able to do it again, eighty times over.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Arizona (not a native)
    Posts
    103

    Certifications
    CISSP, CASP, GCFA, C|EH v8, C|NDA, RDRP (Registered DoD RMF Practitioner), Sec+, MCSE-NT4, A+
    #9
    @shochan Yes, CASP was harder than Sec+. There are domains (identity management & everything risk-focused) in CASP that don't merit much notice in Sec+. CASP seemed more enterprise related than Sec+. My first Sec+ question was very, very client related. Sec+ seemed like an information security version of A+. I sat Sec+ back in 2014 (301) about 4 months after C|EH. I sat CASP in July 2016.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    13

    Certifications
    CISM, CASP,CEH,CDNA, Security +, Linux +, LPIC-1, ITIL Foundation V3
    #10
    I have over 7 years of IT experience from working in an Network Control Center to Information Assurance. The test is heavy on definitions and how you apply them. My 2 months of studying consisted of 4-6 hours a day. My goal is to pass CASP and test for CISM in December. I am scheduled to test at the end of the month so I will harden what I have learned and separate my personal experience and stick to the book answer.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member DAVIS NGUYEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,438

    Certifications
    CASP, SEC+, NET+, A+, NST, CST, ACE...
    #11
    Sorry to hear that. Good luck for next time!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    105

    Certifications
    CASP,CISSP, C|EH, Security+
    #12
    i studied 3 months pretty hardcore 4-6 hours on weekdays and 10 hours on weekends, you need to know your topics well on a broad range of subjects you should of read the book at least 3 times, the Transcendor Exams (3) i took via ITproTV helped since it gave you a very detailed answer on why it was the correct answer.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member Mike-Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,848

    Certifications
    CISSP, HDI-SCA, ITIL V3 Foundations, A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST, CCENT, CCNA, Project+, CCNA Security, MCTS: Windows 7 Config, CEH, CHFI
    #13
    CASP beat me, I failed on my first attempt and I have never tried again
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member Moldygr33nb3an's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    194

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CSA+, CASP, CEHv9, CCNET, CCNA R&S
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Z0sickx View Post
    the Transcendor Exams (3) i took via ITproTV helped since it gave you a very detailed answer on why it was the correct answer.
    This is reassuring.
    Working on: CCNA - Security, eJPT

    Next: OSCP, CCNP

    All your certifications are belong to us.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks