+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    958

    Certifications
    MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, A+, CCNA certified, Cisco Networking Academy Semester 4 graduate
    #1

    Default "Planning and Design" section of the 640-801 CCNA

    I was previously certified under the CCDA program but my certification has expired. However, I have the Cisco Press Self-study Guide for the 640-861 DESGN exam. In the self-study guide, it mentions a 8 step design process. For the "Planning and Design" section of the 640-801 CCNA exam, aren't all 8 steps a bit of overkill? Are the following steps relevant for the "Planning and Design" section of the 640-801 CCNA:
    1. Identify Customer Requirements.[list:7d9bf8311e]
    2. Figure out what the requirements are.
    [*]Characterize the Existing Network.
    • Draw and map out the current network.
    [*]Design the Topology and Network Solutions.
    • Figure out the relevant section of the network needs to be configured/reconfigured to meet the requirements.
    [*]Plan the implementation.
    • Visualize all the Cisco IOS commands that you'd need to configure in order to implement the requirements.
    [*]Implement and Verify the Design.
    • Implement the plan you designed then make sure that what you implemented is working properly.
    [/list:7d9bf8311e]
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    485

    Certifications
    Yes
    #2
    If you look at Cisco's website, you'll find what you need to know concerning the Planning and Designing portion of the 640-801 exam:

    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le...s/640-801.html
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    958

    Certifications
    MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, A+, CCNA certified, Cisco Networking Academy Semester 4 graduate
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by forbesl
    If you look at Cisco's website, you'll find what you need to know concerning the Planning and Designing portion of the 640-801 exam:

    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le...s/640-801.html
    forbesl,

    That webpage lists what the exam topics are but not how to think and work through the steps for each exam topic in the Planning and Design section. That's why I'm trying to use the Cisco Design process, albeit an abbreviated process, in my Cisco Press CCDA study materials for the CCNA. That's why I'm asking if the abovementioned checklist is:
    • abbreviated enough?
    • too abbreviated?
    • not abbeviated enough?

    From what I understand, Cisco has granted the CCNA as an acceptable prerequisite Cisco Career certificate for the "System Engineer" role in a Cisco Partner under the "Express Unified Communications" specialization for Silver Partner. That may be a reason why such a topic as "Design" is included in the CCNA exam topics outline.

    Source:
    1. Role Requirements-Partner Central - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr...uirements.html
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    485

    Certifications
    Yes
    #4
    I think you're looking to deep into it. Don't take the CCDA Planning and Design requirements and try to equate them to the CCNA 640-801. Get yourself a CCNA 640-801 study guide, follow the 640-801 guidelines on the Cisco website, and put the CCDA study guide on the shelf until you're ready to take the DESGN exam again. I've taken both exams and trust me, they're two different beasts.

    Quote Originally Posted by tech-airman

    From what I understand, Cisco has granted the CCNA as an acceptable prerequisite Cisco Career certificate for the "System Engineer" role in a Cisco Partner under the "Express Unified Communications" specialization for Silver Partner. That may be a reason why such a topic as "Design" is included in the CCNA exam topics outline.
    I'm trying to figure out where you're going with this. The Cisco Partner program is for the business/company level. Do you own a business, or are you starting one up? The Partner program is not for individuals.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    958

    Certifications
    MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, A+, CCNA certified, Cisco Networking Academy Semester 4 graduate
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by forbesl
    I think you're looking to deep into it. Don't take the CCDA Planning and Design requirements and try to equate them to the CCNA 640-801. Get yourself a CCNA 640-801 study guide, follow the 640-801 guidelines on the Cisco website, and put the CCDA study guide on the shelf until you're ready to take the DESGN exam again. I've taken both exams and trust me, they're two different beasts.
    Maybe I am looking too deep into it. I took and passed the 640-441 and 640-607 exams back in 2003 which means my CCDA and CCNA both expired last year. I'm currently studying for the 640-801 CCNA exam. After I pass the 640-801 CCNA exam, I am planning to keep on going and take and pass the 640-861 DESGN exam so I'm trying to relearn and reestablish good habits now as far as designing and planning goes.

    Quote Originally Posted by forbesl
    Quote Originally Posted by tech-airman

    From what I understand, Cisco has granted the CCNA as an acceptable prerequisite Cisco Career certificate for the "System Engineer" role in a Cisco Partner under the "Express Unified Communications" specialization for Silver Partner. That may be a reason why such a topic as "Design" is included in the CCNA exam topics outline.
    I'm trying to figure out where you're going with this. The Cisco Partner program is for the business/company level. Do you own a business, or are you starting one up? The Partner program is not for individuals.
    No, I do not own a business nor am I starting one up. I understand that Cisco Partners are bound by the terms of the Cisco Channel Partner Program terms. The Cisco Channel Partner Program terms states that the Cisco Partner is required to have individuals with active Cisco certifications on staff to retain their partner level or possibly face the consequence of de-certification. Under the current Cisco Partner program, a Cisco Partner either applying for or is currently certified as a Silver Partner must hold either: 1) Express Unified Communications specialization and any other specialization at the Advanced level, other than Advanced Unified Communications or 2) two specialziations at the Advanced level. Focussing on the "Express Unified Communications" specialization requires at least two individuals holding active Cisco certifications: 1) Account Manager role with an active CSE certification 2) System Engineer role with an active CCDA or CCNA certification. The System Engineer role in the other three specializations requires the CCDA as a minimum Cisco career certification. That's how I'm making the link between the System Engineer role for the Express Unified Communications specialization and the "mini-CCDA" of the "Planning and Design" section of the CCNA exam.

    One of the reasons why I mentioned about the Cisco Partner requirements is that after my CCNA and/or CCDA are active again I'm hoping to be hired by a Cisco Partner and hold either the Field Engineer role for the: 1) Express Foundation specialization 2) Express Unified Communications specialziation 3) Advanced Wireless LAN specialization or the System Engineer role for the: 1) Express Foundation specialization 2) Express Unified Communications specialization 3) Advanced Unified Communications specialization 4) Advanced Routing & Switching specialization 5) Advanced Security specialization 6) Advanced Wireless LAN specialization.

    I would appreciate a response to my question if the 5 steps mentioned are: a) overkill b) just right c) underkill? If overkill, what steps should I take out or what steps should I take?

    P.S. Ok, let's change "maybe looking too deep" to "definitely looking too deep."

    Source:
    1. Requirements-Certified Partner - Cisco Systems [for Silver Partner] - http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr...t_summary.html (scroll to the bottom and in the sentence "For a complete list of the requirements, please review the Certification Audit and Policies Document.", click _Certification Audit and Policies Document_)
    2. Express Foundation - Role Requirements-Partner Central - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr...uirements.html
    3. Role Requirements-Partner Central - Cisco Systems [for Express Unified Communications] - http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr...uirements.html
    4. Role Requirements-Partner Central - Cisco Systems [for Advanced Unified Communications] - http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr...uirements.html
    5. Role Requirements-Partner Central - Cisco Systems [for Advanced Routing & Switching] - http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr...uirements.html
    6. Requirements-Specialized Partner - Cisco Systems [for Advanced Security] - http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr...uirements.html
    7. Role Requirements-Partner Central - Cisco Systems [for Advanced Wireless LAN] - http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr...uirements.html
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    485

    Certifications
    Yes
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by tech-airman

    P.S. Ok, let's change "maybe looking too deep" to "definitely looking too deep."
    You have just provided the best answer to your own question. The "why" is something you will have to figure out for yourself.

    I'll say this again and be done with my part in this thread:

    If you are studying the CCNA, forget about the CCDA requirements, put the CCDA book away and concentrate on the 640-801 requirements.

    Forget about that Cisco Partner stuff and don't even worry about it. If you don't pass the CCNA, what you think you know about the Cisco Partner program won't do you a bit of good anyway. Worry about that after you pass the test(s).

    IMO
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks