+ Reply to Thread
  1. The Colosus of Clout Paul Boz's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCDA, CCNA, CCNA Security, NSTISSI 4011, GSEC, GCFW, GCIH, GCIA

Default Any good info out there about the CCDE?

The only info on Cisco's site just mentions that the 8 hour practical exam is still under development. How is this going to work? I believe I read elsewhere that it will be at authorized VUE locations and not at Cisco, so it must be computer-based. Seems kind of odd, and sort of explains why it seems Cisco is separating design from the CCIE series.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA, Linux+
    I just got an email on this the other day...

Now Available! Cisco Certified Design Expert (CCDE) Practical Exam Beta

Cisco is now registering beta candidates for the Cisco Certified Design Expert (CCDE) Practical Exam. Cisco has finished development of the second exam needed to attain the CCDE certification, the practical exam, and is now soliciting candidates for the beta delivery.

The CCDE practical exam is a computer-based, performance assessment that evaluates a candidate’s ability to gather network requirements, perform design analyses, and implement complex networks.

Cisco will be offering this beta delivery of the exam on October 1, 2008, in Chicago, Illinois, at a Pearson professional testing center. Only candidates that have a passing score on the CCDE qualification exam can register and participate in this exam. Exam beta pricing is $980US and registration inquiries should be sent to ITPC@pearson.com, notifying us of your interest. You will be notified of your eligibility, instructions for registration, payment and logistics in a follow-up email.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    Yup, its a computer based exam at 'special' vue centers. According to some reports from Cisco Live in Orlando this year, it may include some flash based questions or case studies.

Theres not going to be a lot of information for it, especially with how much info there has been for the design track. I think most people looking at the beta exam are going over Cisco's site and their case studies and white papers.

There is also rumours that the test will change their base of questions every 6 months, in hopes to fight brain dumping. Whether that happens, and keeps happening, will determine if the credit of it will be worth anything IMO.

Also looks like it will have a high price tag ($1400 maybe) which I don't understand for a computer based exam, but whatever.

CCIE > CCDE forever
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    Quote Originally Posted by GT-Rob
    Also looks like it will have a high price tag ($1400 maybe) which I don't understand for a computer based exam, but whatever.
    I assume the high price has to do with the small pool of candidates and the high cost of developing an exam. I know a typical Microsoft exam costs tens of thousands to develop and I assume Cisco is in the same boat.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Well I understand it being higher than your normal test, but come on. The CCIE lab is 1400 and they have to pay a proctor to sit there with you for 8hrs, then pay people to grade you.

I would understand maybe 400 or 500, but I really think it will be well over 1000.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. coffee all day everyday. nicklauscombs's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA: Security, JNCIA-FWV, JNCIA-SSL, MCP, A+, Network+, Security+, CNSS 4011
    from what i've read the CCDE is also eight hours like the CCIE lab

here's an article about it http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/29094
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA, Linux+
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklauscombs

Yeah, but it is computer based. You do not have the cost of equipment and electricity involved or the cost to have someone grade you on it. Not to mention that the testing centers are open during that time anyways for other tests so the price of having a proctor there would be covered.

I agree that the über high price for a computer based exam is a bit much. I would think it would be in the ball park as the CCIE written since it is also a computer based exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. coffee all day everyday. nicklauscombs's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA: Security, JNCIA-FWV, JNCIA-SSL, MCP, A+, Network+, Security+, CNSS 4011
    that's true however I'm sure the reasoning was to try to make it seem on the same level as the ccie lab exam (only the future knows how it will take off), if the cost was cheaper people would probably perceive it to be not worth as much as a ccie and not give it as much of a chance
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member
    I wonder if there is any partner status associated with CCDE? If a company hires a CCIE, it can bump them up to gold partner, which gets them discounts, faster service, etc. If CCDE does not do the same, employers will probably rather hire an IE I would think (assuming the pay scale is roughly the same).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. coffee all day everyday. nicklauscombs's Avatar

Certifications
    I can't imagine Cisco not doing everything they can to get it to be recognized the same as a CCIE
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. The Colosus of Clout Paul Boz's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCDA, CCNA, CCNA Security, NSTISSI 4011, GSEC, GCFW, GCIH, GCIA
    I can't imagine Cisco not doing everything they can to get it to be recognized the same as a CCIE
    How about CCIE-Design

It seems to me that cisco is trying to distance the design track from the other, more technology based tracks. Voice, wireless, storage, security, RS, all have a CCIE tag.

This looks great. I'm excited about this email. Having to read through "emails" to discern the project plans, using legitimate network diagramming, scenario projects, this is all great.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    They can market the CCDE. They can add specializations and incentives to Business Partners to hire (grow) CCDEs. But ultimately they should let the CCDE stand on its own.

If it turns out to be the "New Coke" of Cisco Certifications, I don't want it dragging down the CCIE brand.

And hopefully there won't be 5000 new CCDEs the 2nd time the exam is offered.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA, Linux+
    Didn't they have the CCDE in the past? If so what was it like then?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, A+, CCNA certified, Cisco Networking Academy Semester 4 graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by scheistermeister
    Didn't they have the CCDE in the past? If so what was it like then?
    scheistermeister,

The Cisco Certified Design Expert (CCDE) certificate is brand new. Once upon a time, there used to be a "CCIE-Design" certification exam but it was retired around 19 April 2001.

Source:
    1. News - Cisco Retires CCIE Design Exam; Issues New Policies for Lab Retakes from TCPMag.com - http://tcpmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=91
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA, Linux+
    Ah, that's what it was. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNP/CCDP JNCIA-ER
    Also, check out the networkers CCDE presentation:

https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.co...Networkers.pdf
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. The Colosus of Clout Paul Boz's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by cblm123
    Also, check out the networkers CCDE presentation:

https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.co...Networkers.pdf
    Fantastic, thank you very much for this.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Some white dude

Certifications
    CCIE (R&S), CCNP, CCIP, CCNA, SCSA, A+
    I had a few friends who went to Networkers '08 in Orlando and they had the CCDE Demo testing station. My friend who is a CCIE took it and said it was more brutal than the CCIE lab was..and out of all the people who took it.. the highest score was a 22% correct (which wasn't him )

Of course thats the demo.. but it sounds like a challenge all the same for a person like you
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Got Some...Getting More.
    Yes thanks for the link cblm123 and Plazma, OUCH!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Got Some...Getting More.
    Quote Originally Posted by GT-Rob
    I wonder if there is any partner status associated with CCDE? If a company hires a CCIE, it can bump them up to gold partner, which gets them discounts, faster service, etc. If CCDE does not do the same, employers will probably rather hire an IE I would think (assuming the pay scale is roughly the same).
    From what I have heard so far, the CCDE will not have that capability. Seems odd.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. coffee all day everyday. nicklauscombs's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by mikej412
    If it turns out to be the "New Coke" of Cisco Certifications, I don't want it dragging down the CCIE brand.
    This is probably the biggest reason it's called CCDE instead of CCIE-Design
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks