+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default Back on the CCDA Wagon! UPDATE: Passed

I decided rather than scrap my studies for CCDA, I'm going to cram it in the next two weeks. I've almost finished the book and will begin doing the case studies this weekend. I skipped all the case studies so I could take a crack at them after learning everything she has to offer.

I'll be asking lots of questions here I'm sure as I get closer to my date, but does anyone have any advice for the last week or two of studying for CCDA? I'm still very unfamiliar with the testing style since it's going to be theory and no labs, so any advice helps!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Its an interesting exam I guess. Its like CCNA but without the sims, and without the config questions.

If you have the quick reference sheets, go over those. Take a look at the case studies in the Cisco Press book.

Also make sure you know how to do voip bandwidth requirements calculations! :P
    Reply With Quote Quote  

There's so many calculations in this chapter.

You mean this one?

Trunk capacity = (number of simultaneous calls to be supported) * (bandwidth required
    per call)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    No, its more to do with pre-call.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk65...80094ae2.shtml
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Do you know of any easy way to remember all that information? That's a lot of information and calculations. I assumed I would need to know the information and how to do the calculations, but not know them by heart!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Having gone over most of the BCMSN topics by now, I would suggest anyone going for the CCDA to look at Wireless, VOIP, and Security in a BCMSN book or video series! It will really help you out.

Looking forward to taking CCDA soon!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    B.CS., CCNA, Network+, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by darkerosxx
    How soon is "soon"?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    None?
    Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, Server+, i-Net+, CCNA Security, CCENT, MCITP:EST, MCDST, MCTS:Vista, HDI/CSR, HDI/SCA, HDI/DST, Apple, Dell
    I believe that this is one of those times when Transcender comes to the rescue!

http://www.transcender.com/dept.aspx?dept_id=120400

I think that for this type of exam, it will be imperative that practice questions be used over and over and over and over and over and over until the formulas are do clearly imprinted in your mind that you start to see them in your dreams and while you drive to work. People's faces will have the outline of formulas.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by wat08
    How soon is "soon"?
    I had to put it off again. When I get close to taking it, I end up not being able to finish my study strategy, so I have to put it off.

It will likely be a few months before I can take it at this point.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Got my CCDA scheduled for Tuesday!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. nel

Certifications
    A+ , Network+, MCSA 2003, CCENT, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, JNCIA-JunOS, JNCIS-ENT, Bsc(hons) & Msc Degree
    Woah, big change of heart there! but good luck mate!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCDE written, CCNP/DP and quite a few more from various vendors.....
    Good luck,

Know your VoIP, Security and design models inside out!

This exam gave me brain strain with the amount of info you need to remember!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    Hahah, damn you, you beat me to it! Well, good luck to you, sir. I hope you post an in-depth analysis of your impression of the level of difficulty!!! PLEASE!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by wat08
    Hahah, damn you, you beat me to it! Well, good luck to you, sir. I hope you post an in-depth analysis of your impression of the level of difficulty!!! PLEASE!
    Haha, I'll do my best. Appreciate the good luck wishes!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Well, I passed and earned CCDA this morning!

The exam really was rough. Much more rough than I expected and I'm thinking they made it so rough to make it compare to the CCNA in difficulty even though they're working with mostly theory.

It had obscure terms and theories that I don't think are necessary to say you're a design associate. I won't say anything specific, but I remember most of the obscure things were in the Cisco Press Quick Reference Sheets. If you look at something in there or in the Diane Teare book and think "Oh I probably don't need to know that", that's exactly something you should study.

My strategy was to study the overall theory(quickly read the Diane Teare book), then study it again(read it again plus the Quick Reference Sheets), then study the little things I thought weren't necessary(scour both books for definitions/terms/formulas), then do that again(scour the books), then go back over the theory(quickly read over the Diane Teare Book and the Quick Reference Sheets)...that's why I kept having to put it off because I never had time to make that a full stream of study time. I think if you follow this strategy using both books, you'll do well. I can't say anything for the other CCDA book by Cisco Press because I didn't use it. I was taking a risk there, but I just didn't have the time to read it.

The case studies in the Diane Teare book won't help you for the exam (in my opinion), but will definitely make you a better Design Associate. They're really good and I think it helps you see how the theory/technology relates to real life situations. I highly suggest doing them.

Good luck to anyone else going for the CCDA! It was definitely fun for me and I'm happy I did it. I feel like I know a lot more about networking design and what to look for in equipment based on what customers want/need.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member
    Congratulations!

Thanks for the detailed feedback.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Got Some...Getting More.
    Congrats! It is indeed a fun exam. If you ever have it in your plans, you will LOVE the ARCH exam material, too!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, JNCIP-ENT, JNCIS-SP, JNCIA, JNCDA, CCNA, CCNA:Security, MCP, A+, N+, L+, MST:InfoSec, CNSS 4011-4015
    congrats on the pass!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude
    Congrats! It is indeed a fun exam. If you ever have it in your plans, you will LOVE the ARCH exam material, too!
    Cool! Would you suggest, when I get that far, to go for the ARCH before or after BCMSN/BSCI?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    Congratulations!

I think some people are just genetically predisposed to have issues with the DESGN exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Got Some...Getting More.
    Quote Originally Posted by ITdude
    Cool! Would you suggest, when I get that far, to go for the ARCH before or after BCMSN/BSCI?

I would definitely wait till you pass both of those exams and preferable the entire CCNP track if you are going that route. The design aspects will make a whole lot more sense if you do so. Plus for me it provided a view that helps put together and give you a better perspective of the bigger picture(at least it did for me).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, Server+, i-Net+, CCNA Security, CCENT, MCITP:EST, MCDST, MCTS:Vista, HDI/CSR, HDI/SCA, HDI/DST, Apple, Dell
    Congratulations! Nice feedback! I'm a bit twitchy thinking about studying for this exam, I'll get around to it eventually.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    Congrats man. Did you have any background in voice before tackling this exam?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks