+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,363

    Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    #1

    Question CCDA & CCNA expiration question

    I took my CCNA on August/2007 so now it's time to recertify


    The problem is, I didn't touch any Cisco gear since three years, because I work with Servers & Storage most of the time, and I kind of lost the practical experience.


    Since I'm interested more in the design side of things, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to take the CCDA exam ?

    My CCNA will expire on 26/August/2010 , so I have less than two months..not sure if it's enough to prepare anyway...


    If I take the CCDA exam, my CCNA will be renewed as well right ?



    one more question, how much practical experience needed for CCDA ? I have a very good conceptual knowledge, but I don't have a Cisco gear to practice...
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member miller811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    896

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, MCSA, Security +. Network +, A+
    #2
    CCNA certifications are valid for three years. To recertify, pass the ICND2 exam, or pass the current CCNA exam, or pass a CCNA Concentration exam (wireless, security, voice), or pass the current CCDA exam, or pass any 642 - XXX professional level or Cisco Specialist exam (excluding Sales Specialist exams), or pass a current CCIE or CCDE written exam.

    CCNA - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

    Two months is more than enough to prepare for the CCNA specialty or CCDA exam. Pick the one that interests you or is best suited for your career goals.

    I would plan to take the exam at least 7 days prior to your expiration date to allow yourself an oppurtunity to retake the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,363

    Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by miller811 View Post
    CCNA certifications are valid for three years. To recertify, pass the ICND2 exam, or pass the current CCNA exam, or pass a CCNA Concentration exam (wireless, security, voice), or pass the current CCDA exam, or pass any 642 - XXX professional level or Cisco Specialist exam (excluding Sales Specialist exams), or pass a current CCIE or CCDE written exam.

    CCNA - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

    Two months is more than enough to prepare for the CCNA specialty or CCDA exam. Pick the one that interests you or is best suited for your career goals.

    I would plan to take the exam at least 7 days prior to your expiration date to allow yourself an oppurtunity to retake the exam.


    oh so I can take the ICDN2 exam only ? this looks like the easiest way to recertify !

    I'll look at the CCDA, if I can't do it, then I'll do the ICDN2
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    1,097

    Certifications
    A Few....
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by UnixGuy View Post
    oh so I can take the ICDN2 exam only ? this looks like the easiest way to recertify !
    I would suggest you be careful on the ICND2 exam and don't take it light... Review the exam blueprint on the Cisco site and study the areas in which you feel you may be the weakest. Good luck!

    -Peanut
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,676

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    #5
    Why do you want to get a Cisco certification if you don't work with Cisco gear anyway? Just curious.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,363

    Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutnoggin View Post
    I would suggest you be careful on the ICND2 exam and don't take it light... Review the exam blueprint on the Cisco site and study the areas in which you feel you may be the weakest. Good luck!

    -Peanut
    Thank you, I'll do that
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,363

    Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by networker050184 View Post
    Why do you want to get a Cisco certification if you don't work with Cisco gear anyway? Just curious.
    good question, I asked myself the same question.

    while I don't deal directly with Cisco gear, but I do with closely with Cisco engineers. When we implement a solution, there's always a network infrastructure, and it's very helpful for us (server+storage+backup) people to know networking as well.

    CCNA is the foundation track for Cisco, and I spent one year working with Cisco gear (few years back), so I think it's a good idea to at least keep the cert valid
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member miller811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    896

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, MCSA, Security +. Network +, A+
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by UnixGuy View Post
    good question, I asked myself the same question.

    while I don't deal directly with Cisco gear, but I do with closely with Cisco engineers. When we implement a solution, there's always a network infrastructure, and it's very helpful for us (server+storage+backup) people to know networking as well.

    CCNA is the foundation track for Cisco, and I spent one year working with Cisco gear (few years back), so I think it's a good idea to at least keep the cert valid
    I agree on keeping it valid.
    Since you are dealing with infrastructure, I would go the CCDA route. The book is a pretty easy read.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,047

    Certifications
    None?
    #9
    I completely understood why people consder the CCDA so simple? I did the CBTnuggets for it last year and found it very challenging. Layer 3 switching, best protocol selection, fail over, pricing, design model and voice all over it!

    Without experience in Cisco voice and advanced switching I dont see someone being able ot pass this.

    I would highly recommend you just redo the CCNA or maybe the CCNA Security.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. coffee all day everyday. nicklauscombs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    881

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA: Security, JNCIA-FWV, JNCIA-SSL, MCP, A+, Network+, Security+, CNSS 4011
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel333 View Post
    I completely understood why people consder the CCDA so simple? I did the CBTnuggets for it last year and found it very challenging. Layer 3 switching, best protocol selection, fail over, pricing, design model and voice all over it!
    Agreed, not to mention the Cisco marketing terms make my head spin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel333 View Post
    I would highly recommend you just redo the CCNA or maybe the CCNA Security.
    I would also recommend the ccna: security. From a resume point of view i think employers would be a lot more interested in seeing security over the design cert. Since the OP already finished security+ a lot of the concepts crossover and building a lab for this is super cheap (especially using dynamips). The real challenge is coaxing the SDM software to work correctly for you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,363

    Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    #11
    but passing the CCNA security, I need some Cisco firewall or security appliance to practice ? I don't have any !

    I think ICDN2 is the simplest way....with my busy job, I don't think I'll be able to give it enough time right now.
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,363

    Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by miller811 View Post
    I agree on keeping it valid.
    Since you are dealing with infrastructure, I would go the CCDA route. The book is a pretty easy read.
    which book are you using ?
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member miller811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    896

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, MCSA, Security +. Network +, A+
    #13
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. coffee all day everyday. nicklauscombs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    881

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA: Security, JNCIA-FWV, JNCIA-SSL, MCP, A+, Network+, Security+, CNSS 4011
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by UnixGuy View Post
    but passing the CCNA security, I need some Cisco firewall or security appliance to practice ? I don't have any !

    I think ICDN2 is the simplest way....with my busy job, I don't think I'll be able to give it enough time right now.
    you only need 2 or 3 routers that can run SDM and a switch or two to practice locking those down, also SDM can be setup through gns3. the fact most of the config work on the exam is through the SDM gui made this fairly easy for me to study and pass.

    the ccda would be beneficial as well but ugh that marketing material in the exam blueprint is so boring.
    Last edited by nicklauscombs; 07-01-2010 at 05:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks