+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last
  1. GPU

Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCNA

Question Design Network for 500 Staff/Employees

Guys I need your help, the manager at a company said in my interview that I have to design a network of 500 staff (note: every single one wont exactly have a PC) which he will compare with 6 other guys and who has the best overall design lands the job.

Help, I'm a CCNA not a CCDP or CCIE or even CCDA

The 5 main areas of the building are 1.Fire Department-2.Security(this has 20 stations)-3.Stores(where everything is tore)-4.Executive Management (HR,General Manager, Chairman, Secretary's,Chief Financial Officer,Accounts, etc...)-5.Energy Management (IT Manager,Network Manager,Electronics repair guys, two secretary's) and they will be communicating the other buildings of its similar structure in other locations but with 1/4 to 1/2 it's amount of people and size.

One Guess
    I use one router for the whole network and 5 smart swithes, then use mac address to set access lists and restrictions and dhcp to supply IP address to eg: one batch of ip's for security

Thanks,
    Awaiting your responses.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP (R&S/Voice), CCDP, CCIP, VCP, NCDA, MCSE, CCNA Security
    Quote Originally Posted by GPU View Post
    Guys I need your help, the manager at a company said in my interview that I have to design a network of 500 staff
    So when he said you have to design it, what he really meant was ask a bunch of people on the internet to do it for you? Interesting...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCDA, CCNP, Linux+, Security+, Citrix CA(PS4.0)
    Guys I need your help, the manager at a company said in my interview that I have to design a network of 500 staff (note: every single one wont exactly have a PC) which he will compare with 6 other guys and who has the best overall design lands the job.

The 5 main areas of the building are 1.Fire Department-2.Security(this has 20 stations)-3.Stores(where everything is tore)-4.Executive Management (HR,General Manager, Chairman, Secretary's,Chief Financial Officer,Accounts, etc...)-5.Energy Management (IT Manager,Network Manager,Electronics repair guys, two secretary's) and they will be communicating the other buildings of its similar structure in other locations but with 1/4 to 1/2 it's amount of people and size.

One Guess
    I use one router for the whole network and 5 smart swithes, then use mac address to set access lists and restrictions and dhcp to supply IP address to eg: one batch of ip's for security

Thanks,
    Awaiting your responses.
    IMHO...and I do apologize for this, but you're way in over your head. Like @kalebksp said, you are supposed to design this and asking us how to do it, its clearly not for you. Now if you came in and presented us with an initial design proposal, we could possibly critique it and make some suggestions.

My advice http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/...sbn=1587052725 . start reading
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCDA, CCNP, Linux+, Security+, Citrix CA(PS4.0)

One Guess

Thanks,
    Awaiting your responses.
    IMHO...and I do apologize for this, but you're way in over your head. Like @kalebksp said, you are supposed to design this and asking us how to do it, its clearly not for you. Now if you came in and presented us with an initial design proposal, we could possibly critique it and make some suggestions.

My advice CCDA Self-Study: Designing for Cisco Internetwork Solutions (DESGN) 640-863 . start reading
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, A+, CCNA certified, Cisco Networking Academy Semester 4 graduate

One Guess

Thanks,
    Awaiting your responses.
    GPU,

What is one smart switch?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    Quote Originally Posted by kalebksp View Post
    So when he said you have to design it, what he really meant was ask a bunch of people on the internet to do it for you? Interesting...
    Maybe we get a cut of the pay?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tech-airman View Post
    GPU,

Maybe a managed switch... or a layer 3 switch
    Last edited by Bl8ckr0uter; 07-18-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    Unless you embelished your resume then you should design it with the knowledge you have to the best of your abilities. Did he put limits on the number of switches and routers or what types? Use your switch knowledge and your subnetting knowledge and design your network. The worst that can happen is that you don't get the job.
    If you have a particular problem or question people here are much more open to helping but they don't take kindly to requests to do your work for you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member hustlin_moe20's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, MCITP:EA, MCSE:S, MCSA:S, ITILv3, Security+, Network+, A+, 2x-MCP, 4x-MCTS
    And of course the main question, Did you read the job description? If so, did you think you could do the job or did you think you could just slide through the cracks like many paper-cert people do, only to be fired later?

Because of the (E) in MCSE I have been challenged with similar tasks, but of course I still have my job because I've done the work. I have been asked network engineering questions in job interviews because the interviewer was an old network guy. I still got the jobs and did the work.

Do the work. Even if you don't get the job, you'll feel better about trying instead of cheating. The is the same concept that you should have had in high school or college. How can you learn anything if you copy the work of others?

Invest in Office 2007/2010 with Visio and get going.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. GPU

Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by tech-airman View Post
    GPU,

knwminus <--- He answered your question.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. GPU

Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    Unless you embelished your resume then you should design it with the knowledge you have to the best of your abilities. Did he put limits on the number of switches and routers or what types? Use your switch knowledge and your subnetting knowledge and design your network. The worst that can happen is that you don't get the job.
    If you have a particular problem or question people here are much more open to helping but they don't take kindly to requests to do your work for you.
    No limits, you can do anything and everything you want. How about 5 routers per section?

I want to know how many routers and switches do I need? I want to put 5 layer 3 switches on per section and one router to manage the whole thing and allow it to talk to other locations abroad. I didn't necessarily wanting the whole thing drawn out, unless you have a save from packet tracer that is good to work with and edit for this design.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member
    This thread reminds me of this: Calling All Linux Experts - Page 2 - Ubuntu Forums

Someone might be willing to answer a specific question you may have, but I don't think anyone's going to do your interview project for you...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member hustlin_moe20's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, MCITP:EA, MCSE:S, MCSA:S, ITILv3, Security+, Network+, A+, 2x-MCP, 4x-MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    This thread reminds me of this: Calling All Linux Experts - Page 2 - Ubuntu Forums

Someone might be willing to answer a specific question you may have, but I don't think anyone's going to do your interview project for you...

That's for sure.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+ : A+ : Security+ : eJPT : Life+
    Quote Originally Posted by qplayed View Post
    Now if you came in and presented us with an initial design proposal, we could possibly critique it and make some suggestions.

My advice Designing for Cisco Internetwork Solutions (DESGN) (Authorized CCDA Self-Study Guide) (Exam 640-863), 2nd Edition . start reading

I agree with what qplayed said. I don't think anyone here is going to do this for you. Help you but not do it for you. If someone did this stuff for you and you turned it into the manager. Then the manager starts to ask you questions on why you "designed" the network the way you did and you don't know anything on "your design"... what do you think will happen??
    Booya!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    What's the budget? How many PCs? How many servers? Need wireless? How many closets, and how many users per closet?

But yea, you're in way over your head. Hit the books/blogs/case studies or hire a consultant.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BS&MS-CompSci, CCNA, CCNP, Hyper-V, CCAI
    I typed a long reply to this, talking about VLANs, ACLs, and how your 5 switches won't support 250 users (let alone 500 give or take)...but yeah, it was pointless.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    Quote Originally Posted by hypnotoad View Post
    I typed a long reply to this, talking about VLANs, ACLs, and how your 5 switches won't support 250 users (let alone 500 give or take)...but yeah, it was pointless.
    Depends on the switch. If they were chassis switches...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. GPU

Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Guys my design is attached. What do you think? Is it ok?
    Last edited by GPU; 07-21-2010 at 06:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. was here.
    Guys my design is attached. What do you think? Is it ok?
    Uhh... If that really is your design and you're not just trying to tr oll then you should think about investing in something like Visio to do your diagrams. The diagram you linked is unreadable.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. GPU

Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by tiersten View Post
    Uhh... If that really is your design and you're not just trying to tr oll then you should think about investing in something like Visio to do your diagrams. The diagram you linked is unreadable.
    Thanks, ordering it right now! But what do you think? Also should I do port trunking (for more bandwidth)?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member hustlin_moe20's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by tiersten View Post
    The funny thing is, I suggested Visio many posts ago. I guess sometimes people have to read it more than once?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R+S, CCNA:R+S, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA:S, CCENT, CNSS 4011
    Is that diagram on a napkin???
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I would have just recommended using a straight edge for your lines and some time put in to make a readable drawing. Legible handwriting goes a long way also.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    Quote Originally Posted by pitviper View Post
    Is that diagram on a napkin???

I think its a happy sock.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    There is even an opemsource version of visio which you'll find if you google visio
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks