+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCTSx2
    OK no updates since March. Not good. I haven't touched any study in ages because, well, there are a number of reasons (personal). But luckily all of that is now finally behind me. I have the written scheduled in for Mid July now and I need to get on with it because at the rate I am going, I will have some problems by not sitting a written by early '17. So. I need to get on with this now in earnest. Have started to get myself mentally prepared to start, and reassess how far I got compared to what is left. Still a lot to go, need to get some books on the go. Nearly finished the video series that I did have but, no doubt, I am going to have to revisit the entire thing again from scratch between now and July.

I want the written done now and then I can make decision on when to head back to London for another lab. I'm thinking early '17 also, so I might be joining Iris with her plan for the next version of the lab - because it is probably on the way very soon..

So yeah, hopefully now I can start posting some progress to this thread, it is long overdue, I remember when I started the "first" IE proper, the first 100 hours were absolutely the worst. However, I must now make some progress otherwise I'm going to be left behind. Next year I intend to change jobs, and step one of that is to get the CCIE done. I also need to focus on some other very much neglected areas of my life, i.e. I've been living a bit too well lately and my weight is right back up again. But, with goals in mind, this helps me focus on getting the small tasks done.

Mid 2017 I want to either progress within my company, or think about going elsewhere. We shall see. Step 1 = CCIE and getting back into some kind of shape. Let's do this.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CCNA: Sec
    Keep us updated, interesting to read your journey.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    So, sadly - I'm hanging up plans for a lab. I need to do the written within the next month because there's a new job coming which takes me out of the shift pattern. Not to say I won't be keeping an eye on everyone in the CCIE threads here of course. But, never fear, there are plans afoot
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    So that's the written passed today.

2 year clock reset. If I do a lab? Tempted.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    Join me, Gorebrush! One of us! One of us! One of us!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Bonus TE Fun: Nerd Photos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I may well do that!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CCNA: Sec
    Congratulations, great news. How did you find the written?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A big giant mixed bag of stuff. It was useful I'd done R&S that's for sure.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    So twelve months on, and where are we now? I changed jobs mid July last year and well, I just did it again. Thing is, I am now a Senior Network Engineer for a cloud security company, and they're really keen on training and people having certifications. I'm in a position to get back into this thing now... I've got 6 months to attempt a lab, that isn't going to happen, so I'm going to need to sit the written again before going for a lab (18 months to attempt a lab after written, did mine July '16).

Going to take a slow and steady approach to this one - I need to get a written done to keep my actual IE active before Feb '19 - so I've got 18 months to get a written done. So my plan for this would be to head straight for lab and then do written on the way.

So the plan of attack then?

I need to first get my lab up to snuff. I need moar hardwares.

I have a production ESX server that runs all my main stuff, that will be left alone.

My old CCIE R/S lab machine is still in my rack - i7 2600 / 32GB DDR3 / 480GB SSD / ESX

I want to get a single machine that will take 128GB RAM. Tempted to go all out for a Ryzen Threadripper machine this month that I *know* will take 128GB RAM, but that's going to be at least 1K dropped on that. Might get me an older server, but them things are big and loud.

So if I were to get a new desktop machine (highly likely) then the replaced machine would then drop into my rack to join the machine above. That would be an i5-4570, 32GB DDR3, SSD, ESX etc. So job done then, we'd have 64GB RAM and 8 cores between those two hosts, and then I could run a bunch of stuff on the big beefy desktop.

Anyone got any ideas on what to do?

Could one run it all in the cloud?
    Last edited by gorebrush; 08-07-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA: RS, Voice, Security. CCNP: Security, Voice. MCSE: Messaging/Security. A/N/S+. Random vendor stuff
    I run an old server with 8 cores and 64 gigs of ram and most stuff works fine. I really wish I had gone the workstation route though. The server is loud and pumps out quite a bit of heat.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yeah, this is what I keep coming back to. Beastly workstation is more expensive, but has a much higher WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)

The 128GB DDR4 RAM alone would be $1K by itself... However, if I am intending to run this thing for many years as a lab, then I think it would be a sound investment.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE R&S, CCNP, the old CCSP, CCDA, CCNA
    Must admit, I am quite tempted to do the CCIE Security lab- just had my 10 year R&S anniversary this week!! I also have been looking at virtualising the lab. Initially I looked at the older servers, but I think there will be more mileage with a AMD Threadripper or the recently announced Intel i9s. Presently, the Threadripper seems to offer the biggest bang per buck, but I bet Intel will lower prices somewhat to compete. RAM costs are the biggest killer and I would expect to use a minimum of 96GB. Fortunately, the lab looks like most can now be virtualised, so there are mega savings there....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Exactly my thinking.

One can easily pick up an older Dell or UCS blade for a few hundred quid though and it's already got 128GB... I'd go that route if I had a brick shed or somewhere I could keep it running though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA: RS, Voice, Security. CCNP: Security, Voice. MCSE: Messaging/Security. A/N/S+. Random vendor stuff
    Mine was free so its definitely worth it but I've invested a fair amount in noise canceling headphones and earplugs so it may be a wash =)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Glad to see you jumping back into this! I look forward to seeing your progress. I am also curious what you end up doing in regards to the lab you build out. I will soon be designing one for my IE studies as well.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks