+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 First 123 45 Last
  1. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    Well, I'm through the ISE book and this week I should be getting the following book in the mail: Cisco Next-Generation Security Solutions: All-in-one Cisco ASA Firepower Services, NGIPS, and AMP

I've got two weeks of work travel ahead of me (Cisco Live + a week of training in Atlanta). Hopefully I can get this book done in the time that I'm away since it's definitely an awesome book for the new v5 track
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Bonus TE Fun: Nerd Photos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    Burning through the Next-Gen book. Sadly, it's not all I hope it would be. Just more of an overview. Been reading it a couple days and already mostly through the book. I'll finish the book all the same but it's definitely not for someone who's already past the SSFIPS and SSFAMP for AMP and Firepower.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    I've neglected this thread but not my CCIE Security studies. I'm still pounding out books. I got a Sony Digital Paper for my birthday and that was actually a great investment. It's been helping with reading the Safari Books subscription I have. SDP only allows for PDF format though so I've had to go the roundabout way of printing my chapters to PDF and then transferring them onto the SDP but it works fine.

On a fun note, I met Marty Roesch (Creator of Sourcefire) this week and turned into a fan girl:
    Marty.jpg

I also found my ISE throne :P
    ISEQueen.jpg
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Did a meetup the other day on ISE and figured I'd post it on here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJaH6AA-BUM

It's the first of a 4-part ISE series I'm doing on ISE 2.1 and geared towards the CCIE Security. It was done live on a Webex with a bunch of folks so don't expect polish or editing but I had a lot of fun with it.
    Last edited by Iristheangel; 09-12-2016 at 04:14 AM.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    I know you said not to expect a polished video, but The audio is horrendously choppy. Is the original video like that? Also, is it just one person talking/leading in your meet ups or do you have group discussions? I'm just watching the video to see how meet ups are conducted at higher levels of study. We do open discussions down here in the lowly CCENT level of study.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Nope. Original video isn't like that. Damn Youtube messed it up. Oh well, I'll reupload and repost the link.

As far as questions, I answer questions as they are posed to me in the chat. When you have 30-130 people on the Webex with you, unmuting audio and letting everyone go is not a great idea. This is more supposed to be instructional and educational, not a town hall.
    Last edited by Iristheangel; 09-12-2016 at 04:27 AM.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    There you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/loo3wk6vd9...135-1.mp4?dl=0

That should be better.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CCNA: Sec
    Great video, very informative. Is there any more webinars you have done and have links for at all?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Member

Certifications
    MCSA, CCNA, CCSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Iristheangel View Post
    Did a meetup the other day on ISE and figured I'd post it on here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJaH6AA-BUM

It's the first of a 4-part ISE series I'm doing on ISE 2.1 and geared towards the CCIE Security. It was done live on a Webex with a bunch of folks so don't expect polish or editing but I had a lot of fun with it.
    where do I find parts 2 - 4??
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    @CE1028 - I have slacked on making them (as well as updating my blog). I've been hyperfocused on studying so haven't been able to do any other the additional things.

Update for this thread:

Read the following books:
    Next-Generation Security Solutions - Was a bit light on the technical side and I don't think I would recommend this for CCIE Security reading tbh unless you need a good overview of the Cisco security solutions
    Email Security Book - God this was dry but it had a lot of good and relevant detail. This was probably the hardest book I struggled with just because there was a lot and email security doesn't personally thrill me
    PKI Uncovered - I personally had a good grasp of PKI before this book so I didn't get a whole lot out of it but I think for most people starting out on the CCIE Security track and who don't have as good of a grasp, it's a great book.
    Practical Deployment of Cisco ISE - Great book for "just the meat and potatoes" of ISE
    SSFAMP - I went through the lab guides and class guides for this two day class. Taught me a lot about deploying the private AMP cloud which I think will be very relevant for the CCIE Security
    SSFIPS - This was a good book. Definitely a lot different though since there's some changes from Firepower 5.4 to 6.x. I think that 80% of the book definitely is still relevant and the remaining part you can pick up on as you're going through the GUI
    AAA Book - This was useful to someone like myself that didn't have a lot of prior ACS experience. The book is only 300-something pages but in reality, it's probably half that because the book flips back and forth between how to do something on ACS 4.x (not relevant for the lab) and ACS 5.1. I just ignored the ACS 4.x bits and focused on later versions of ACS
    WLAN Fundamentals book - There's only a couple chapters of this book really relevant to the CCIE Security and those are the chapters focused on wireless security. Even then though, anyone with some experience deploying ISE or dot1x probably could skip this book
    ISE 2.1 Techtorial - I went through this techtorial and made some notes for anyone interested: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Right now I'm working my way through the IKEv2 book. I might do some VIRL labbing on it as I go to reinforce the materials a bit. I really like reading a lot more than to focus on a lot of videos. Here are my plans so far:
    - Get through the whole books or relevant chapters for ASA 5500-X Series Next-Generation Firewalls, SISAS OCG, Complete VPN Configuration Guide, IPv6 Fundamentals, IPv6 Security, LAN Security, Router Security and IPSec VPN Design. I have a lot more reading between now and the end of the year
    - Start labbing heavily by the first of the year and probably re-watch the Z2H videos for VPN and ESA on the weekends. I don't see myself needing to re-watch the whole series or anything

Some of the things I know I need to lab up specifically or just get better acquainted with:
    - IPv6 and IPv6 security
    - IOS VPN and clientless SSL VPN
    - Anyconnect with ISE - I haven't played with this as much as I should have
    - Probably do a good dry run of the private AMP cloud setup. Using AMP definitely isn't new to me but I haven't set up Private AMP from scratch. It doesn't look too daunting but it's something I should run through a couple times.

So that's my update for the CCIE Security track!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Member

Certifications
    MCSA, CCNA, CCSA
    Looks like you've been keeping busy!!!

I just tried to register for the Z2H class in January, but looks like it's all sold out. Maybe next time!

I thought the Z2H videos were only available for 30 days after the class ends?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    They're supposed to be but my class still has access for the moment.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. BS:ITSec, MS:ISA

Certifications
    A+, Project+, Network+, Security+, CCNA, CCNA Security, CEH, CHFI, CISSP, ITIL, GCIH
    Mine are still available as well, I've been through the class about three times now just getting tips on some things and been through the workbooks twice. I take my CCIE Security next week.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Good luck, Nelson!!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. BS:ITSec, MS:ISA

Certifications
    A+, Project+, Network+, Security+, CCNA, CCNA Security, CEH, CHFI, CISSP, ITIL, GCIH
    Thanks, just trying to collect the nerves and go in there as confident as I can. At least I'll get to enjoy the weather!

Reply With Quote Quote  

17. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    You can never be 100% when it comes to those labs but the worst case is that you'll be taking it with me and many others next year. If that ends up being the case, let me know and I'll share my notes with you. I've been taking my "usual" level of notes with all the reading and stuff I've been doing so it might help.

BTW, did my Z2H notes help you out at all?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. BS:ITSec, MS:ISA

Certifications
    Yes they did, Thank you again! They are printed out in a binder next to me. I added a bit to them, though not in the scale of the notes you took, we covered a few things like ISE 2.1 (though it's not a huge jump from 2.0) and I think a few different things at the end. I know ISE 2.1 wasn't out when you did your session.

I think either way I'd love to share with you, I still have a boot camp paid for for Narbik so I may take a Sec 5.0 class just to keep up with things, as 4.0 is pretty dated.

Reply With Quote Quote  

19. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Working my way through the CCIE still. I am actually more than halfway through the ASA book. I found that a lot easier of a read than the IKEv2 book which was... umm... a bit on the overbearing side. This week I'm diving into TrustSec because I do need a deeper understanding than I already have. Loaded up the Sony Digital Paper with all the design guides since I have a presentation at work and POC I need to run with it. Thankfully, this all just compliments my CCIE studies so it's like two birds-one stone
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Still banging away. I finished a LOT of the essential reading list for the CCIE Security. Going through the IPv6 security book this week and probably will attempt the written in the next few weeks.

They say that after you get your first CCIE, it's easier to get the next one. I would say that feels true. It's not because you know everything or there's tremendous amounts of overlap but I think it comes from having a clearer understanding of what it takes and the amount of time you have to focus on it. It's easy to underestimate the CCIE the first time and life gets in the way. The second time around, you have no illusions on what it would take and you try to make smarter decisions. For example, for my first CCIE, I was ordering a lot of takeout and not exercising at all. I also wasn't planning out my studying or setting boundaries at work as much as I should have been - I'm doing a lot better on both fronts now. I am happy to say that I lost my "CCIE 15" (the 15 pounds I gained from sitting on my arse labbing all day) and am going to the gym from 5-6AM every morning to make sure I'm awake for the day and staying fit. Definitely helping with my focus. I also ditched real books this CCIE and took another members advice to get an ereader solution - that's been helping me burn through the books faster and highlight. I usually give the books a good read and then go back to take notes AFTER based on the highlights I did.

So throughout this whole thing, I knew I wanted to take the lab early on and I doubt I'll feel ready enough to do it in Feb or March but I'm hoping to shoot for June or July depending on my work schedule. If I don't pass by August 1st, I've got a plan for that. I have a TON of PTO days saved up and I'll be at that tipping point where I will start losing them if I don't use them so if I don't pass by August, I'll take the whole month of August off and do nothing but lab before I attempt it probably early Sept.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, PMP, CCNP, FITSP-M
    Quote Originally Posted by Iristheangel View Post
    I am happy to say that I lost my "CCIE 15" (the 15 pounds I gained from sitting on my arse labbing all day) and am going to the gym from 5-6AM every morning to make sure I'm awake for the day and staying fit. Definitely helping with my focus. I also ditched real books this CCIE and took another members advice to get an ereader solution - that's been helping me burn through the books faster and highlight. I usually give the books a good read and then go back to take notes AFTER based on the highlights I did.
    I'm still finalizing my R&S plan for the beginning of the year but exercise definitely plays a role. If nothing else, I can ride my bike on a trainer while watching videos. In addition to the IE, I'm hoping that 2018 rings in 20 less pounds. As I plan for the upcoming 12-15 months, I've realized it's more than a study plan and more of a life plan for that period.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Cisco R00t Clan Member NOC-Ninja's Avatar

Certifications
    CCIE-Wireless, CCIE-RS (written), CCNP-Wireless, CCNP, CCNA-Wireless, CCNA-Security, CCNA, CEH, CHFI
    Goodluck. It should be easier since it is your 2nd IE.
    Did you go to narbiks zero to hero?
    MSISA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Yeah I did. I was in the first class and wrote a pretty sizable review on it. It was a good dive into the stuff I wasn't used to before.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Junior Member Registered Member
    what is the demand for CCIE's Security in CA these days ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by a5a5a9 View Post
    what is the demand for CCIE's Security in CA these days ?
    I haven't checked the job market but I suspect the skills that come along with the CCIE Security v5 will be highly in demand as I'm always getting hit up for Firepower, ISE, etc jobs. I'm not exactly looking for any new jobs though but the CCIE Security was interesting to me after it got updated and it's stuff I do in my day-to-day
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Fireman

Certifications
    A+ Network+ CCSA CCSE CCSE+ CCMSE+Provider-1 CCMSE+VSX CCMA
    Kate,

I really have enjoyed your thread and your blog as I'm currently building out my lab for the V5 sec cert. Do you plan on covering the deployment of the ESA appliance or did I miss that? I work for a Cisco gold partner in Texas and like you have deployed many of these solutions over the years but never felt like an expert on the technology. I have a ton on knowledge on Check Point, Palo Alto and Cisco but I'm finally going to certify my Cisco knowledge. Keep up the great work and I will share cool stuff I find going down this path as well.

Thanks

Bobby

My gear:

ESX AMD A8 proc
    32 GB DDR 3 ram
    1 TB SSD drive
    Cisco 1841 Router running 15x code (Sure I could use CSR for most items but I own it so why not
    3750 switch on 15x code
    3560 12.24 <---need to check for upgrade
    ASA 5506X Firepower/FTD
    Press RETURN to get started

Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 First 123 45 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks