+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    A/L/P/S+, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCDP, CCNA R&S/Sec, ACIS ERS 8K & VSP 9K, BS: IT Security
    Finished the two security chapters in the OCGs. Read through some of the AAA stuff in the Network Security and Technologies book, but going to read through the DMVPN stuff as well in the next couple of days. No labbing as I was out of town last week and the connection there for VPN connection was terrible. Goals this week: More labbing for MPLS, possibly start DMVPN/IPSec labs Start the Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 book.

EDIT: I also noticed OTV and GET VPN in the written blueprint, so I found a good article online for GET VPN: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/pr...0_External.pdf The OCG wasn't enough IMO for either of those topics. OTV I may pull out my data center fundamentals book to take notes on that. I have some already, but they're not complete.
    Last edited by OfWolfAndMan; 04-19-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    Reading: IP Multicast Volume I, Multicast section of Routing TCP/IP Vol 2 Goals: Bash Shell/Python Automation Refinement [], CCIE R&S Written (August) [], AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate (Maybe) [] CCIE R&S Counter: Somewhere between zero and infinity
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNA
    I just started my studies and, like you, my own thread for it. I've looked forward to reading what you have written so far and will definitely use it towards my own study plan.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    A/L/P/S+, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCDP, CCNA R&S/Sec, ACIS ERS 8K & VSP 9K, BS: IT Security
    Quote Originally Posted by Prog Snob View Post
    I just started my studies and, like you, my own thread for it. I've looked forward to reading what you have written so far and will definitely use it towards my own study plan.
    Good luck on your travels.

I haven't posted here for a couple of weeks. Lots going on, for the better.

Started TCP/IP Vol 1 a bit over two weeks ago. Read through the first few basic chapters, which includes all of basic routing stuff, RIPv2/ng, finished EIGRP. Might I say though, some of the EIGRP information is old, and the RFC does very good on covering changes, and it's a good read. Seriously, lots of gold you won't find in the routing tcp/ip book.

Labbing completed: the remainder of MPLS, and finished IPSec labs. My OneNote notebook in this thread has been streamlined a bit more to include a couple more Python scripts I used to quickly rewrite specific aspects of INE's scripts.

i also have streamlined my automation script more, eliminating the burden of waiting for a reload, I will be constituting the config replace command after importing a baseline script. This will reduce time drastically. I will be posting that tomorrow probably, so keep your eye out on here or my Github page.

Lastly, I started the OSPFv2 chapter, about 50 pages in now.

Goals for the remainder of the week:

-Finish OSPFv2 reading, start and/or finish OSPFv3 depending on how much additional is not covered in my notes.
    -I would like to complete labs for DMVPN this weekend, but unfortunately that may not happen as write speeds on my UCS with a LSI 1064E RAID controller are terrible, and I bought a controller with BBU and cache support, as I don't find the I/O acceptable on the current card. In fact, I may just not RAID if the next one isn't sufficiient. Anyway, I will need to take new snapshots, redeploy OVAs, and all of that jazz. May take a good chunk of my time this weekend.
    Reading: IP Multicast Volume I, Multicast section of Routing TCP/IP Vol 2 Goals: Bash Shell/Python Automation Refinement [], CCIE R&S Written (August) [], AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate (Maybe) [] CCIE R&S Counter: Somewhere between zero and infinity
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA: RS, Voice, Security. CCNP: Security, Voice. MCSE: Messaging/Security. A/N/S+. Random vendor stuff
    I took a look at your python script and I really like how you set it up. I made a similar one but for setting a baseline I just setup a config with everything that I needed set (IP, authentication... ect) and use "copy baseline startup-config" command followed by reload.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Voice, Security
    Good luck sir, the more I am coming to realize I have a major distraction problem with reading for any amount of time I get distracted, unless I watch videos of the technical materials first and lab it up a bit based on those videos.

I want to some day pursue the CCIE level R/S, but I don't foresee that until probably the next version refresh, I realized I need the CCNP Sec knowledge first for my work place.

Good luck with your journey!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by EricsLearning View Post
    I took a look at your python script and I really like how you set it up. I made a similar one but for setting a baseline I just setup a config with everything that I needed set (IP, authentication... ect) and use "copy baseline startup-config" command followed by reload.
    Hi Eric, I actually recently modified my script to eliminate the need to reload when implementing the baseline configuration, using the "configure replace" command.

You can see my post here about it: https://extensibleandautomated.wordp...mation-part-3/ And here is the updated code. I'm sure you'll like it: https://github.com/OfWolfAndMan/CCIE-Lab-Automation
    Quote Originally Posted by ande0255 View Post
    Good luck sir, the more I am coming to realize I have a major distraction problem with reading for any amount of time I get distracted, unless I watch videos of the technical materials first and lab it up a bit based on those videos. I want to some day pursue the CCIE level R/S, but I don't foresee that until probably the next version refresh, I realized I need the CCNP Sec knowledge first for my work place. Good luck with your journey!!
    Thanks! Same to you.
    Last edited by OfWolfAndMan; 04-19-2017 at 04:58 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA: RS, Voice, Security. CCNP: Security, Voice. MCSE: Messaging/Security. A/N/S+. Random vendor stuff
    I am using routers, switches and firewalls with the same option so config replace wasn't an option since the ASAs don't support the command. I will definitely take a look at your new version though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Hi guys.

It's been a couple of week. Was working on process with buying a house the past twoish weeks, so have been busy sorting finances, making sure inspections are done by the right people, making sure to find the right house, getting a realtor, broker, etc. All that fun-filled adventure.

I still had some time to work on things, but not nearly as much. Moreso reading about taxes and hidden costs so we know what we need to go in with.

ANYWAY, got tired of the CSRs for a bit. The configure replace seems to crash the router, whether I automate it or not, so may need to setup an alternate approach for later. For now, using the IOSv nodes on VIRL. They do what I need, can fill the initial configurations with the scenario related stuff, and less resource overhead, but seemingly more stable (And there seems to be some DMVPN features I didn't have on the CSR that I do on IOSv).

Finished Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 about two weeks ago. Started the QoS book yesterday but haven't done any reading in between that time.

I got all of the DMVPN labs knocked out. That was some fun stuff for sure. Very cool technology, and some more practice with refreshing on IOS IPSec configurations. Not too much reading aside from the first couple of chapters of the QoS book (Enjoyable so far). Finished the policy routing labs as I thought it'd be good to brush up on that. Tonight will entail some QoS labs regarding marking and classification.

Let's see, did some updates to DMVPN notes, as well as adding some links to my link listing for solutions. I would like to knock out the QoS book in a matter of about two to three weeks. While it is about a 700 page book, a good chunk of it doesn't apply since the current IE seems to focus heavily on the MQC.

Goal for this week: Finish a few chapters of the QoS book (MQC, Classification and Marking, Queueing Chapters), do some QoS labbing.

That's it for now, folks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Last few weeks:

-QoS book is finished. Notes taken. Anki cards to follow
    Skipped QoS topics:
    *AutoQOS
    *Anything mentioning Frame Relay
    *Link Efficiency Tools (Although good reads about header/payload compression in places)
    Additional reading required outside of the book:
    *NBAR (See links in Onenote)
    Worthy Mentions:
    *ECN feature for WRED (Not mentioned in many places, but on the blueprint)
    -Half of the QoS labs completed.
    -Multicast Book started

Note-taking changes
    -Modifying configurations in onenote to create a more modular, easier to read approach. This will take some time, but make browsing for configuration-specific stuff easier, as I have distributed commands specific to a topic, which appears clunky to me personally
    -Porting the notes into a well structured word format (Including ToC, table of tables/figures) when done. This will make printing the notes and making manual scribbles easier since Onenote lacks providing an efficient page break feature when printing or exporting to PDF
    -Providing direct links to RFCs whenever mentioned

Labbing:
    -Complete QoS labs, while working in Multicast Labs

Modifications to reading list:
    -Adding a chapter or two from QoS end-to-end network design for modern use cases (Bit more modern than the cert guide on design approach)
    -Need to read a chapter out of IWAN to cover the topic for PfR (Performance Routing)
    -Additions to the Excel spreadsheet I have for good links
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member
    A quick silly question, how do you bring your books around to read?

I'm using public transport and sometimes I have to stand and there's no chance I can lug that Jeff Doyle's heavy book around.

I tried to copy several pages only, but that quickly becomes troublesome as well

Note: I can't use tablet as my eyes get tired looking at the combination between screens and texts for long period
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by r_balest View Post
    A quick silly question, how do you bring your books around to read?

I'm using public transport and sometimes I have to stand and there's no chance I can lug that Jeff Doyle's heavy book around.

I tried to copy several pages only, but that quickly becomes troublesome as well

Note: I can't use tablet as my eyes get tired looking at the combination between screens and texts for long period
    r_balest,

This is my thought on the matter: Reading and writing notes is obviously next to impossible when you have to stand, so having to think of how to make an efficient strategy of time in this situation would go something like this:

-Since I make flash cards with Anki, and Anki has a mobile app, I could go through the flash cards
    -If possible, keep mobile versions of the book for active review
    -Reviewing your notes. Onenote has a mobile app. Not all other note-taking options do

Past that, you are obviously limited to what you could do, but those are the few that come to mind when I am stuck in a tight space with little room.

On a related topic, there is a really good learning strategy course free on Coursera here:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn

Very good course, and some tools in there as well. It has really enhanced my study routine and helps me retain information more easily.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OfWolfAndMan View Post
    r_balest,

This is my thought on the matter: Reading and writing notes is obviously next to impossible when you have to stand, so having to think of how to make an efficient strategy of time in this situation would go something like this:

-
    Thanks for this, however I'm still confused about how to read books on the go. Especially our cisco books generally are thick and heavy.

Do you use digital version of all the books you're reading?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by r_balest View Post
    Thanks for this, however I'm still confused about how to read books on the go. Especially our cisco books generally are thick and heavy.

Do you use digital version of all the books you're reading?
    I use digital versions when in a situation like that. Obviously, I can't afford having both digital and paperback, so I keep some paperback, some digital, and the rest goes to the credit of Safari Books.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Checking in. Still working on Multicast reading and labbing. Just need to knock out the IPv6 multicast section, and I'll be done with multicast. The rest has been multicast labbing. Also, some packet analysis related stuff to study certain headers.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Long time, no post.Finished all relevant IPv6 material. That was somewhat of a drag, but it was fun learning how the engineers of IPv4 improved upon their original design.Have been doing some review the last couple days, and read through the evolving technologies document once. I will be taking notes the second read around, as it's a new spectrum of material, so it doesn't hurt talking two reads to obtain an appropriate level of familiarization.My upcoming goals:Flash cards to make:-IS-IS structure of NETReview:-IP SLALearnfR-Evolving Tech-EEM-6RD-6PE/6VPEAnyone have a good solid document on EEM? Guess I could go find a Cisco config doc, but never hurts to ask for recommendations.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    VCP5-DCV, VCA6-DCV
    Found this blog from INE.

I personally have only used EEM to clear NAT translations automatically when wan link fail-overs occure on networks with VoIP phones since for reasons I don't understand IP phones just stick to old nat entries. Never could get TAC involved to figure it out so just created the EEM script to clear them.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Ismaeljrp View Post
    Found this blog from INE.

I personally have only used EEM to clear NAT translations automatically when wan link fail-overs occure on networks with VoIP phones since for reasons I don't understand IP phones just stick to old nat entries. Never could get TAC involved to figure it out so just created the EEM script to clear them.
    That's a great overview. Have been doing some labbing with it and also looking through INE's workbook on it. Fun stuff. Probably will consume the rest of my weekend, alongside ACI components
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    ITIL Foundation, Security+, CISSP, CCENT, CCNA R&S
    You have in your signature block you are taking the written in August. Have you scheduled it yet?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by carterw65 View Post
    You have in your signature block you are taking the written in August. Have you scheduled it yet?
    It was a rough date. September is looking more realistic right now. Been caught between network automation stuff and other life matters...

Might as well check in though. At this point, I moved all my notes into a word format with table of figures/tables and a ToC. Looking to be about four parts and over 200 pages. Time to run through all of them and add comments for things that need more detail. Past that, more flashcards and Boson practice study. Nothing else to report aside from finishing up ACI/PfR notes, along with some EEM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks