+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Certifications
    CCIE RS, CCNP RS, CCNA RS, CCNA S, ITILF
    flash forward to november/2017.
    Spent the WHOLE year labbing at least 3 hours everyday, plus 8+ hours on weekends. walked through every single 360v4 and INE labs (foundations, tshoot, mock). the hardest part was to tackle down those uncommon features but eventually this was the only thing i was concerned about. everything else was already programmed in hardware.

Got a seat on a mobile lab very close to my location. 2 seats left.
    Walked into the cisco building, put my lunch in the fridge and then the proctor came to meet us (we were about 4, all R&S).
    It seems like the room was not intended to be a testing site, we had those horrible chairs and that dell keyboards that makes too much noise. that wasn't a problem, though.

Started tshoot, i couldn't really believe it was happening. Luckily, was able to tackle the 10 tickets in about 1 hour, and spent another 30 minutes re-verifying and found other 2 "hidden" issues.
    After pressing end section, went to diag. Too much information to digest in a short time. If you do tshoot in your day-to-day, diag won't be an issue since the issue is there in the outputs. that's it. you just need to spot it.
    Now going to the config..Honestly, i was expecting a HUGE mind game in this part, confusing wording and etc. The diagrams were too clear, as well as the wording. There was absolutely no way to double interpretation on any question.
    About 2 hours left of the config part (was almost sh****** my pants at this point), i was already done with the bulk part and starting my first verification round. Got more than 30 missing points by verifying the first time. In the second time, i knew there was only 2 questions i haven't marked as OK. So i decided i would fix one of them. This ended up in a HUGE mess, everything that went through the core would stop working.
    Luckily, i was able to put myself together and rolled back the config on every single router i have reconfigured (a scout boy is always prepared with a backup in hand). Finished rolling back and verifying with 5 mins left

Left the test facility totally numb, couldn't even talk to other people there. After i got home (3~4 hours later), opened a bottle of wine and went for the best night of sleep ever.

Woke up at 6:30 AM as usual, and there was my score report. I was totally confident i would pass at this point. My tshoot was in the bag, as well as the diag. That had compensated my 2 doubts on the config part. As soon as i click on my score report, i was greeted with a huge congrats

It feels weird when you accomplish something you are pursuing for too long (i count more than 3 years), and now it is time to lay back for a few days deciding what to go for next.

My biggest tip is: stay focused, and make sure you have control over yourself. Otherwise, you are going to blow your test the first time you fall. And you will fall many times, as the clock won't stop and the routers are not configuring themselves. Be cool (try to) and keep your pace. If you know your stuff, and you know how to handle these situations, a pass is closer than you think.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member
    Great job!!!
    Congrats !!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    A/L/P/S+, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCDP, CCNA R&S/Sec, ACIS ERS 8K & VSP 9K, BS: IT Security
    Awesome job, man! Well deserved!
    Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation Goals: Bash Shell/Python Automation Refinement [], CCIE R&S Written [X], AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate (Maybe) [] CCIE R&S Counter: Somewhere between zero and infinity
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCIE R&S #38616 and many more!
    Congrats!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    BS IT (CCNA R&S, Security, Voice) CCDA, MCP XP, A+, L+, P+, LPIC-1, SUSE CLA
    Congrats! was that 12 months end to end? Phenomenal job on passing on the first attempt! Mind giving a breakdown on your overall strategy during the 12 months?
    In life you have to make your own opportunities. Don't let anyone stop you from your dreams to many negative people want you to fail because they can't succeed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    Congratulations! Huge accomplishment!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Bonus TE Fun: Nerd Photos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    in the first 4 months, i was focusing on one technology at a time.
    after that, i started with bigger labs, and focusing on protocol interactions.

the last 3 months were centered around how to finish this whole lab as fast as i can. for example, focus on a specific AS, review what actually needs to be done there and on which devices, prepare your config, reuse what you typed (bgp peers, RR, ospf on interfaces, STP, etc), and the most important: what is the most efficient way to verify what you have done?

for example, if i had an AS with several switches, dhcp server, and a remote host (dmvpn, or other wan connection); my only test would be a ping/trace from the server (who receives the ip) towards one of the spokes. with this simple test i validated dhcp, dhcp snooping, am sure my l2 is working, and also the dmvpn or ppp/pppoe link. 5 things or more with a simple output.

actually the test is not extreme in a technical point of view, but your strategy will define if you will be able to finish within time or not.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R+S, CCNA:DC, CCNA Security, CCNP R+S, BEng Computer Networking
    Great work, congrats!

What workbook materials did you use? Also did you mainly use Rack-Rentals or home lab (EVE-NG/VIRL/GNS3)?
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by bharvey92 View Post
    Great work, congrats!

What workbook materials did you use? Also did you mainly use Rack-Rentals or home lab (EVE-NG/VIRL/GNS3)?
    At first, I used a few INE tokens.
    Then, found EVE-NG and was able to get a VIRL server. INE offers their topologies (for both RS and SP) in an easy way to import to VIRL.

During the last weeks, i used IOL on EVE since it is the closest i could get from what they give you in the exam.

Workbooks were mainly 360 v4 and INE (v4 and v5).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks