+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last
  1. Junior Member
    how were the remaining days of the bootcamp?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS

Certifications
    CCIE DC/R&S Written, CCDP, CCNP-DC/RS, CCDA, CCNA-DC/RS/S, Security+, Network+, ITILv3F, BIG-IP F5-CA, VCA6-NV, and VCP6-NV
    There were some ups, and downs. Learned some things. Need to keep my head down and keep studying. Booked my lab date for 09FEB18.

118 days until lab attempt.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE DC/R&S Written, CCDP, CCNP-DC/RS, CCDA, CCNA-DC/RS/S, Security+, Network+, ITILv3F, BIG-IP F5-CA, VCA6-NV, and VCP6-NV
    Spent the whole time since coming back from the boot camp doing UCS Manager related items. I know everyone says that UCS-PE can get you a lot but for someone who doesn't have a ton of experience it is anti-climatic. IE: because you can't boot you really don't know if what you did worked or not. It is better than nothing. However, I have been getting some lab time on real equipment so that has really helped. Doing boot from local disk, boot from SAN, and iSCSI boot, has been eye opening. Need to keep going on UCSM. Want to keep doing a couple scenarios on connectivity policies, and then review the various server policies.

111 Days till first lab attempt.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Worked on iSCSI boot last night. Wanted to tie that in with a LAN connectivity policy. Took awhile to make it work. Mostly because I made a typo on the IP of the iSCSI target. In the UCSM GUI once you define the target in the boot policy there isn't a good way to go look at it. The white paper from Cisco actually give you some CLI commands to run. Once I saw that, fixed it pretty quick. GUIs are the rage in networking now but CLI is more efficient some times.

As a side note: if anyone is reading this, make sure you spend some quality time with the HTML5 UCSM interface. I used to curse Java. However, some times I would select items in UCSM (in the HTML5 GUI) and click apply, and the values would change from what I selected. There are some other anomalies I have found. Even if you are UCS rockstar on previous version it is worth your time to go through the motions with various labs/tasks just to make sure it works the way you think it should.

108 Days till first lab attempt.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Been continuing to mess with various boot scenarios. After doing all sort of FC/iSCSI boot scenarios, realized I hadn't really messed with local boot. Went ahead and did some local disk policies in Raid 0, and 1. Tried to get Storage Profiles to work. It didn't take. Kept getting an error that the storage controller couldn't be configured via OOB. That lead down the refresher path that B Series M2s don't support Inband IP Access. Had to look all that up, and review what was going on.

The blade I am using is a B200 M2 so it's a little long in the tooth. Luckily a friend has an C-Series M3 server in his lab, so we can try the feature out with him.

As a side note, I have been working about 4+ hours every work day. During the weekends, it seems like I get in around 5 - 8+ hours a day. Still doesn't seem like it is going to be enough to hit my first test date successfully. The bottom line for me is that I need a little bit of a tight deadline to keep me motivated. If I have a test date that is 6+ months out I'll tell myself, "I can watch TV tonight, I have plenty of time."

105 Days till first lab attempt.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    While I have been studying lately, I haven't exactly worked on posting here. Been working through ACI/UCSC/UCSD, and other topics. Have my first lab attempt this Friday. I have my doubts about making it through the exam on the first attempt. But, I am committed to it either way.

Back to labbing.

4 Days till first lab attempt.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:DC, CCNP:DC, CCNA:DC, CCDA, VCP:DCV, VCP:NV, JNCIA-JUNOS
    Good luck man. Keep at it!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    joelsfood,

Thanks, I need it. Motivation is starting to completely tank. Took the past two weeks off to study. Guess it was a good think. Turned out my NX-OS skills tanked lately. Spent the past three months on UCS/ACI/UCSD/UCSC. Funny how stuff leaks out like that.

Anyways, been brushing up on some ancillary topcis like general routing/switching on NXOS. Also, started to re-review LISP. Need to review a ton of small topics.

Tomorrow I travel to San Jose for the first attempt on Friday. A lot of my friends/coworkers who already have a CCIE in one topic or another, stated they take the day off before. I have a feeling that I can't completely do that. Will need to keep reviewing some items.

2 Days till first lap attempt.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, PMP, CCNP, FITSP-M
    I've had the same problem with motivation as I've hit various milestones with different certs. There's no doubt that sometimes you have to take a break in order to get your head back in the game. I think the one thing that's bothered me about your posts is that most of the time you post X days until FIRST lab attempt, like you're already planning for a second. And once you get to the point of there being a second, it's hard to fully-focus on the first.

I hope you make it this coming Friday but if you don't, take a week or two off then come back expecting that it would be your last attempt, not X out of some Y total.
    2018: CCIE Written (R/S) (done - Jan), CCIE R/S
    After that: MBA, OSCP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    EANx,

The reason for the countdown, and the wording as it is serves a couple reasons: 1) Personally, I need a deadline to work to push myself to keep going. Seeing how many days keeps things in perspective. 2) One issue I have seen some candidates fall into is that they build themselves up, and really do dump there soul into studying, don't pass, and never get back on the horse. Thus, I didn't want that to be me. 3) Each individual doesn't know how long their path is going to be until completion. Thus, this is about building a mentality of committing to the process.

To summarize: 1) Be committed to the process of learning 2) Don't loose sight of the test date 3) Any failure is a learning opportunity 4) Keep moving forward with studying 5) Ditch the ego.

These are my thoughts, they may work for no one else out there. Either way, earning my digits is the goal, everything else is second. This is how I keep it all in perspective.

HTH.

-Nutsy
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Member

Certifications
    Microsoft: 70-620, 70-642, 70-640, 70-462, 70-461
    For me it also helps to plan the date of the exam and count down the days for the exam. Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, PMP, CCNP, FITSP-M
    I have no problem with the countdown, it was the "first attempt" that I felt was self-defeating, insinuating there would be a second. Regardless, good luck tomorrow.
    2018: CCIE Written (R/S) (done - Jan), CCIE R/S
    After that: MBA, OSCP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA(Security/Data Center), PCNSE, CySA+ and others
    Good luck tomorrow Nutsy!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    All,

Thanks for the support. Really do appreciate it.

Got out here to San Jose. Sitting here in the hotel doing a final review for topics that i either forgot, or need a quick brush up on.

Tomorrow is it.

-Nutsy
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Member

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, MCSA Windows Server 2012 & Office 365
    Best of luck!
    2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[X], CCNP Switch 300-115[X], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[X], VCP-DCV 6[], 70-412[], 70-413[], 70-414[]
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE R&S, CCNP, the old CCSP, CCDA, CCNA
    Good Luck, Nutsy!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    All,

Thanks again. Today's the day. Lab starts in about an hour and a half.

In the immortal words of the Terrible Terry Tate, "It's game day baby! Whow!"

-Nutsy
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNP(collab), S+
    Good luck.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Didn't not pass this round. Passed the Diagnostic but not the config section. Back to the studying.

Lab Date: TBD
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA(Security/Data Center), PCNSE, CySA+ and others
    sorry to hear it didn't go your way. With your determination, you'll get it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MitM,

Thanks. Just trying to keep focused and moving forward.

Watched a few INE videos today. Looked up a couple items I didn't know cold going into the exam. Going to lab up a few items here in a few minutes.

Booked my next attempt for 10APR18 in San Jose. 57 Days till next lab attempt.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. kj0

Certifications
    vExpert x 5 | Apple Mac OS X Associate | Cert III - IT.
    It's all a learning experience and you'll know more. Just don't forget to review and lab up items you already know and passed with.

Good luck for next round!
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Junior Member
    Best of luck on your next attempt.

Question for everyone: What is the best way to gain access to a comparable lab environment for the CCIE DC track? I've heard of dCloud, don't know much about it, but I'm wondering if you need a support contract to gain access to all of the necessary bits?

Outside of the R&S, and perhaps the SP, I'm curious if there's a bonafide list of lab equipment avenues for each track (Security, Wireless, Collab, etc)? It's something that has been top of mind as of late.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    This past week, I got through one item from the test that stumped me. Looked up another couple items. This weekend, I am not going to be studying due to family members being in town. I'm off on Monday, and they are leaving then. So, the grind will really start then.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Been back at it the past couple of days. Been hitting items that caught me on the exam.

Got all my travel lined up for going back to San Jose. So the next attempt is a go.

48 days till the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks