+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, SWITCH

Default Tier 1, 2, 3, and?

hey guys

can you point me to the right documentation on Tiers and what they mean? I know sort of Tier 1 is like ATT and Tier 2 and 3 can be ISPs
    but I would like some great infor on these networks to understand the grand scheme of things. Thanks for your time
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. Login/register to remove this advertisement.

Certifications
    CCNP:Voice, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA, CCENT, Security +, Network +, A+,CIW
    The definition of tiered support system changes from company to company. Ref: Technical support - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Generally, a Tier 1 support personnel will be directly interacting with the user and problem, and has little to no training.

As the Tiers go up, more trained personnel specialized in the problem at hand approach the problem and try to fix, before moving the issue upward to the next tier.

Eg... Tier 1) Help Desk. Tier 2) Desktop Support Team. Tier 3) Network/Server/Phone/Specific team. Tier 4) Specialized vendor support.

Something along those lines.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE counter..993 Lab Hours.... 532 Reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by chmorin View Post
    The definition of tiered support system changes from company to company. Ref: Technical support - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Generally, a Tier 1 support personnel will be directly interacting with the user and problem, and has little to no training.

As the Tiers go up, more trained personnel specialized in the problem at hand approach the problem and try to fix, before moving the issue upward to the next tier.

Eg... Tier 1) Help Desk. Tier 2) Desktop Support Team. Tier 3) Network/Server/Phone/Specific team. Tier 4) Specialized vendor support.

Something along those lines.
    He's not talking about levels of support. The question is regarding the term used to define ISPs in terms of their internet transit.

Tier 1 network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    I've read that the lines are very blurred as far as which ISP is which tier and it's kind of an arbitrary distinction.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Lost in the box...

Certifications
    CCIE R&S and DC, CCIP, CCNP, CCNA, CCENT, Network+, A+, MCDST, MCP, )
    Page 5 in the BGP book by OReilly gives a pretty decent description on the 3 tiers. It is not real long, and the author does mention, like Colby said, that the lines are kind of blurred (especially between tiers 1 and 2). He says the main difference in the two is that tier two is usually geographically limited whereas tier 1's are not.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, SWITCH
    hey thanks guys that really clears things up will look at the oreilly book on BGP thank you very much
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:Voice, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA, CCENT, Security +, Network +, A+,CIW
    Quote Originally Posted by Turgon View Post
    He's not talking about levels of support. The question is regarding the term used to define ISPs in terms of their internet transit.

Tier 1 network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    My ignorance is showing! -hides-
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by ColbyG View Post
    I've read that the lines are very blurred as far as which ISP is which tier and it's kind of an arbitrary distinction.
    If you have to ask yourself "Am I a Tier 1?" You're not a Tier 1.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA CCNP
    From the top of my head, The Tier 1 networks are: Level3, Abovenet, ATT, VZ, Global Crossing, Reliance, Qwest, and NTT. But there is no official list of the 'tier 1 networks', and the term can mean different things to different people.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks