Thread: Journal

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCTSx2
    PPPoE to be honest, is a pain in the ass to find anyway
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA Security, CCDA, Project+, Linux+
    Providing Protocol Support for Broadband Access Aggregation of PPPoE Sessions

BOOM.

(hehe - I can't get it to work even with the page open though)
    Last edited by bermovick; 02-24-2015 at 08:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Foundation Lab 1 done. I didn't realize they were so short.

Only tripped up on 2 things which I've made notes on.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I have spent all of the little time I've had available for studying over the past week repeatedly trying to get PPPoE to work. WTH? I got it fine last time with a little help.

Gonna move on and come back cause I'm just spinning my wheels here, trying the same commands over and over.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    PPPoE is a pain in the butt though
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:DC, CCNP:DC, CCNA:DC, CCDA, VCP:DCV, VCP:NV, JNCIA-JUNOS
    Maybe I'm missing something, but what is the use case for PPPoE these days? Been a long time since I've seen that term.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    In my situation, the case for PPPoE is: "It's on the lab".

I may have asked this on one of the previous pages, but I can't remember (and am too lazy to look it up), but is there any good way to get good & fast at redistribution? I understand it well enough, but if you sit me down with a topology, it takes me far too long to determine redistribution issues than I'm comfortable with.

Doing a ton of redistribution labs is one way, but not sure if it's the only/best way.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I think it really is down to trying out different scenarios, find as many as you can...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I find I'm not imaginative enough to come up with my own scenarios. Gonna spend today trying to come up with the different situations so I have something to work with when writing up a lab.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I find that sometimes. Start simple, add to it piece by piece. Adopt a "What would happen if I try this?" and document it. Follow the steps, review the outputs, look at the results...

Adding two entry points into a networking domain is where the fun starts

try gnsvault for pre-made lab ideas?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Bah! Damn NEC network here has it blocked for some reason. I'll check it out at the house.

Pissed off at INE now - I started to review their solution & verification on the redistribution section of their lab I'm working on (parallel lines between 2 routers, both running ospf & eigrp and both doing mutual redistribution is really screwing with my head) and right off the bat there's a HUGE mistake regarding the RIP redistribution of connected interfaces/routes.

It's difficult enough trying to get a deep grasp of this without false information being given.
    Last edited by bermovick; 03-16-2015 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Still here, still working on trying to crack redistribution. I've been trying to find online blogs or what have you discussing redistribution, but I mostly just find things along the difficulty level of "don't forget to add the subnets keyword when redistributing into OSPF", or "don't forget to add metrics when redistributing into RIP or EIGRP".

Yeah, I know that. Why don't you help me understand something actually at the difficulty level I need to understand, Mkay?

(ok, that sounded a bit entitled).

Work is quieting back down again I think, so I'm trying to break things via labs. What sucks is when I set up a lab that's supposed to be broken but it still works! It's hard to troubleshoot why something ISN'T not working
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. I wouldn't listen to me AwesomeGarrett's Avatar

Certifications
    CCIE R&S, CCNP R&S
    What is it that you're looking for when it comes to difficult redistribution scenarios?
    Last edited by AwesomeGarrett; 03-25-2015 at 06:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I'm ... really not sure how to answer that. I'm not really looking for difficult scenarios, just actual scenarios, instead of just information on what the redistribution arguments are.

This is one of those cases where (to me at least), you think you understand it because it's pretty much an easy concept, but when you start actually doing it, you realize the one concept mentioned (going from a higher AD to a lower AD, then back to a higher AD) is really just the tip of a very detailed iceberg.

I managed to make a broken topology earlier with a single redistribution point, yet it took me 3 tries to get it properly broken, and afterwards I actually had to draw out the topology, what I thought the routing updates would be like across each link and then do packet captures where I wasn't certain / to verify what I knew. Then I had to think about WHY before I got it. (It was actually quite scientific, in retrospect.)

And that was just a "simple" scenario with only a single point of redistribution and only 2 routing protocols. Add in a 3rd protocol, then also add connected redistribution at multiple places, and sprinkle it with some route maps and it gets to be too much to keep track of.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCIE #37149, CCDE #20160011
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I remember finding that site before; one of the better written ones (and I use variations of your topology from the first link).

Adding the word "loop" to my google search is getting me a bit more useful links (yours is at the top of the search by the way! congrats!).

I think perhaps ultimately I need to stop trying to do it in my head. When I drew out yesterday's issue I no longer had to try to 'remember' it all, because each step had a note written down (like "<--RIP,120"). Being able to stop and focus on a certain router without worrying about forgetting the rest made it easier (albeit a bit slow).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCIE #37149, CCDE #20160011
    Thanks!

It's kind of funny that creating loops is actually not as easy as one would imagine. Funny thing number two is that I've barely seen redistribution in the 8 years or so I've been involved in networks. Sometimes between IGP -> BGP but almost never IGP -> IGP.

Basically if all protocols did what EIGRP does with higher AD for external routes, loops would probably not exist.

You may run into issues if you go from a higher AD into a lower one and then back to a higher. So normally you would have something like RIP -> OSPF -> RIP/EIGRP which is not very realistic to be honest.

I guess they key is to learn of protective measures like distribute lists, route tagging and so on.

Good luck with your studies!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Did anyone else have problems with IPSec over DMVPN on CSRs? One DMVPN appears to work fine, but if you try to bring up a second DMVPN (not a second spoke on the same DMVPN), the first fails and neither works. I spent a whole day thinking I'd configured wrong since I configured both at the same time!

Gonna poke at it a bit more, but looks like it might be a software bug. Which sucks since that means I'm unable to meet the lab requirement for this step, which later steps may depend on, and doing workarounds means having to account for those later (and possibly do further workarounds at that step)

Actually it looks like the first continues to not work after removing the second, until you reload. Chalking this up to software issue and moving on (I guess just removing ipsec since that keeps routing functional)
    Last edited by bermovick; 04-06-2015 at 06:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+,Net+,S+,MCSA:S & MCSE:S 2k3,MCITP:SA/EA, CCNA:Security/RS/DC,CCNP DC, CCIE RS 51060
    Related to your redistribution concern...

Network 101: Routing Loop (Redistribution)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Aug 25, although since that's only 4 months away I'm still entertaining the idea of just retaking the written later this year and getting a new window, as I don't think I can be ready in time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp1983 View Post
    Related to your redistribution concern...

Network 101: Routing Loop (Redistribution)
    Thanks, but I don't think a link that basic will help with the current lab where R1 is running OSPF pid 1, EIGRP pid 5, redistributing between the two (and redistributing a loopback into OSPF). R1 is connected to R2 which is running OSPF pid 1, OSPF pid 2 and EIGRP pid 5, redistributing between all 3 (as well as a loopback redistributed into OSPF pid 1), with R1 and R2 being adjacent on OSPF pid 1 and EIGRP pid 5. R2 is also connected to R3 which is running OSPF pid 2 and R3 is redistributing its loopback into OSPF pid 2.

Now quickly determine issues between this (there are also other internal routers in OSPF pid 1 and EIGRP pid 5 that are affected by this)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Had some really weird cold or something for the past month+. The odds of me being ready before my window closed was already iffy, and this pretty much closed the deal (at least that's what I'm telling myself). The silver lining is that I don't have to worry about setting a looming date, and can just hit the labs until I feel I'm ready.

Having that month break was nice in that I don't feel any "study exhaustion" anymore, and am feeling refreshed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ARGGGH; I hate when IPSEC doesn't work but doesn't give any indication why
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    So often I'm finding myself stuck on things and uncertain if I've done something wrong or if there's some bug with CSR1000v or something.

I mean surely it can't be the CSR, since everybody uses it, and nobody else seems to have these seemingly constant issues with it, right?

right?

So then I end up completely doubting I'll ever be able to do this, since the simplest things just. don't. WORK.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    STILL getting hung up on redistribution labs. So many little gotchas and caveats and exceptions I have to remember and add.

I'm not sure my solutions are correct considering how many extra things I end up adding just to make it work.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 First ... 34567 8 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks