+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 First 12 3456 ... Last
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    ITIL Foundation, Security+, CISSP, CCENT, CCNA R&S
    Only did about half an hour of reading yesterday. I think I got out of Internetworking by Comer all I wanted. Shelved the book and now starting in on Routing TCP/IP (again). Watched a ATC vid as well on VTP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    2 hours of reading yesterday and a ATC VOD on VTP pruning. DRAM still not here yet for the access server Maybe it will come today.

Going to spend the day with the better half and 2 of the grandkids at the animal park. Lions, tigers, and bears oh my. I don't think they have bears though. I wonder if I will get in trouble if I through a line in their shark tank and try to hook into one.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    So yesterday was a complete wash. After the zoo the grandkids wanted to go swimming so by the time we got home I was beat. Tried to watch a video, but it just wasn't going to happen. We don't get to see the kids much so what little time we have is devoted to them.

So, maybe today I will get something done. Didn't catch any sharks either. Today is a new day!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    A good solid two hours of reading yesterday and the final video on Vlans and VTP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Nothing accomplished yestereday. We'll see what today brings.

Thinking of upgrading my lab from 3640s to 1841s or building a new computer to run GNS3 or dynamips with real switches. What do you think?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    So I spent most of my time yesterday on ebay trying to get new equipment. Bought 3 2811 routers and a Digi CM32. I got all of the 2811s for about the same price as 1841s so I went with the better router and I won't have potential rack mounting troubles. I did read for a few minutes until I was just too tired.

I think I will be good with my new set up once all the equipment arrives. Can't wait to start in on actual labbing and break up the reading.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    2.5 hours of reading and an ATC VOD successfully negotiated yesterday. Into EIGRP in the book now. Get 'er done! LOL
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    3.5 hours reading. Still in EIGRP though, it's a pretty long chapter and I am taking my time reading to try and let it all sink in.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    Didn't get much done yesterday. Spent most of it with the grandkids. Only read about half and hour and 30 minutes of a VOD. Better than nothing I suppose. We'll see what today brings.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    Only 1 hour of reading yesterday. Having the grandkids for 3 weeks is killing my studies along with work being particularly difficult at the moment. Gotta this thing thing on track!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    3 hours of reading and a ATC VOD yesterday. Not bad for a work day. Into OSPFv2. Hopefully will have that knocked out today and be into OSPFv3.

I must admit, I have never configured a device with IPv6 yet. It is a little intimidating to me.

Still waiting on my terminal server and 2811s to arrive. Maybe today one of them will show up.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCIE R&S #46813 CCDA/CCDP/CCNP R&S/CCNA Wireless/ CCNA security
    just read it a few times, for myself it was the size of it, and how odd it appeared considered to IPv4, once you get your head around ND and the dotted hex it is not as bad, just had to remember to put "IPV6" in the commands which i constantly forget haha.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCTSx2
    I also quite like how the operation has changed - i.e. you need to turn the ipv6 process on, then enable it per interface. The logic behind that is much better than typing in network commands.

But then I like the old school way too because that's what I'm used to! So it's all good either way.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    1 hour of reading and half a ATC VOD yesterday. Got 4 days off this weekend but my daughter is coming to pick up the grandkids so not sure how much I'll get done. Hopefully the equipment arrive soon so I can get the lab back into operation. All this reading is getting pretty boring. Need some hands on to spice things up.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCTSx2
    Have you done anything with GNS3?

You can do the vast majority of it without even touching some equipment. Obviously I know using the equipment is better, but GNS has matured very nicely.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by carterw65 View Post
    1 hour of reading and half a ATC VOD yesterday. Got 4 days off this weekend but my daughter is coming to pick up the grandkids so not sure how much I'll get done. Hopefully the equipment arrive soon so I can get the lab back into operation. All this reading is getting pretty boring. Need some hands on to spice things up.
    I have played with it a little, but I am wanting to do switching right now and that is the downside of GNS3. I should just do some routing and be happy. LOL

I am working in WB1 trying to shake the rust off.

Hey, got a question for you all. I am considering skipping the IS-IS chapter in Routing TCP/IP. It is not on the blueprint. Is there anything there that would be good to read, or am I good skipping the chapter?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    2.5 hours of reading and a little ATC VOD yesterday. Hope I can top that today being I have the day off! Yay!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    Received one of the 2811s in the mail today! Yay! BUT, it is being a bugger trying to load an IOS onto it. I am using tftpdnld. It will go for a bit then start timing out.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    That is exactly my worry as well. All I know is others did it before us so we can do it too. I also ran across this: Study kits | My Networking

I took a quick look at it and it looks promising to at least formulate questions out of and study it. The dude spent some time on it for sure.
    Do you or anyone else know the software used to create those maps? I'm really needing to get a good mind mapping software and that one looks nice especially with the added graphics. And good luck on your studies. I'm going to start studying for my CCENT/CCNA Security beginning of next year with dreams of getting CCIE Security one day.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
    Do you or anyone else know the software used to create those maps? I'm really needing to get a good mind mapping software and that one looks nice especially with the added graphics. And good luck on your studies. I'm going to start studying for my CCENT/CCNA Security beginning of next year with dreams of getting CCIE Security one day.
    Not too sure what software he used.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    Well, I replaced the compact flash card on the 2811 with a different one and Voila! Got an IOS loaded on it. I loaded a smaller one to figure out what was happening and making sure the size of the IOS wasn't the culprit. I have not been able to load a 12.4(24)T on it though. It keeps saying cannot load Flash:c2811.....
    Feeling a bit frustrated with the 2511-RJ giving up the ghost and now the new-to-me 2811 is giving me fits.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    Whew! Daughter and her family are gone. What a huge distraction that was. I sure did enjoy the grandkids though. Got them full of chocolate and ice cream and sent them on their way.

Back to business!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member
    I am considering skipping the IS-IS chapter in Routing TCP/IP.
    I think you can completely skip that chapter
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by boobobobobob View Post
    I think you can completely skip that chapter
    You don't need to know IS-IS for the R&S, but you'd be surprised at how much you can learn about OSPF when you see another protocol's approach to link-state routing. That chapter is a bit condensed, but still... might be worth taking a look at. What damage can an extra chapter of useful, but not testable material do?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by powmia View Post
    You don't need to know IS-IS for the R&S, but you'd be surprised at how much you can learn about OSPF when you see another protocol's approach to link-state routing. That chapter is a bit condensed, but still... might be worth taking a look at. What damage can an extra chapter of useful, but not testable material do?
    I think I will skip it right now until I get through the two books then go back to it and read it. That is a good point about learning more about link-state protocols.

I am reading redistribution right now and I am not completely following it. He jumps around so much it's crazy. I am sure it will clear up once I get my hands on the lab and doing the configurations.

Still waiting on the rest of the equipment to arrive. I decided to max out the memory on the 2811s too just for good measure. I was hoping to buy a few 256mb Compact Flash cards locally with out having to order them, but smallest one I can find is 8gb.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 First 12 3456 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks