+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 First 123 4567 Last
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    ITIL Foundation, Security+, CISSP, CCENT, CCNA R&S
    Woohoo! The Digi CM32 came today. Got it all configured and working. Configured Super PuTTy for the lab too. I can actually start labbing now with the current set up even though I don't have all the 2811s and cables yet.

Starting in on WB1 tomorrow! (Unless the 2811 arrive of course)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    So my other two 2811s got returned to shipper. The PO said the package was too big for the destination PO and told the guy it was his responsibility to know the limitation of the receiving PO and wouldn't refund the postage. What a crock that is. I see people having tires for their car shipped here.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    Ah, felt good to do some labbing last night. Got about 3 hours in. WB1 1.1 kicked my tail. I understand and know the commands, but trying to figure out that network diagram is a different story. I have went through it before, but it was a long time ago so I forgot it.

Watched a little VOD and did a bit of reading too. Productive day.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    Another 2.5 hours of labbing last night, .5 hours of reading and .5 hours of ATC VOD. Not a bad day again.

Finished through VTP in WB1. I must say I am learning tons already. They tell you to do something, but in the back of my mind I am thinking, well that will be a bad thing on the distant end, but they only told me to do this on SW1. Like changing the native vlan for instance. I am thinking, they only told me to do it on SW1, not the rest of the switches, that will break things. After going through it, I realize, they didn't tell me NOT to do it on the other switches so it is OK to do so and make the original requirement work properly.

I'll get this figured out yet. Fun times. I am enjoying the labbing part, but I am sure at some point I will be readdy to get this over with.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    3 more hours of labbing last night got me though the switching portion I am doing in WB1. Now into Frame Relay. I am really out of my comfort zone here, I have never configured or use FR before. Counting on the ACT VODs to help. Only a few minutes of reading yesterday too. Seemed like my eyes wanting to shut as soon as the book opened. LOL
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    I've been thinking about Etherchannels after doing the WB1 scenarios. I am pretty familiar with them, but usually had the mode turned ON. I was having troubles getting some of them to come up, yet I knew the config was correct, with the exception of leaving SW1 in Dyn Des and the rest in Dyn Auto. I had not used this combination before.

So, I went to the Doc CD and the instructions there for configuring an Echannel is to either set the ports as trunks or assign all ports as static access ports in the same Vlan. Makes sense, but doesn't tell anything about dynamically formed trunks.

The way I got the trunks and Echannel to form was to shut down both port channels and no shut the auto side first, then the desireable side. Then the negotiation occurred and the trunks formed and the Echannel came online. Perhaps you could do the reverse, but I don't think I tried.

Conclusion - Echannels are finicky little devils. Order of operations are essential and little tricks learned only come from hands on.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Finished up Frame relay yesterday. Not as tough as I thought it was going to be. 2.7 and 2.8 did trip me up, but once I figured them out, with answer key help, I understood them and I think that is what matters most.

I am following Petr's plan which does not have you doing all the tasks in WB1, just some of them. So, that means I am really only doing about a quarter of WB1 and it is pretty much core configuration.

Did 5.5 hours of lab and about 2.5 hours of Frame Relay ATC VOD. Didn't do any reading yesterday. Being that I had no clue on how to configure FR I started the day with the VODs. I decided to watch all of them on the subject so I could at least get exposure to the non-core parts of FR.

Trucking right along! Gonna get some digits! LOL
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCDA, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE R&S, Security+, CISSP, SCP #2235, CCNA: DC
    So, kind of funny, I was reading through the posts above your latest one, and I thought "man, he's trucking along!" then read your post right above this one Great minds think alike I suppose!

Keep up the great work, you're building momentum for sure! How do you like the Digi CM 32? Wondering if I'm the only one who absolutely loves them compared to the Cisco 2511's.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    I love the Digi. Wish I had bought it in the first place!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA:Security, CCDA, CCNP
    Am I reading the price for these digi's correctly?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    My Digi CM 32 was 49.99 on Ebay with 35.00 shipping. Shipping was alot because I live in Europe. It is well worth the $$. Wish I had bought it instead of my original 2511-RJ. It took me longer to figure out how to use it than to configure it. You use straight through instead of x-over on everything. Too easy to set up and really simple to use. I set it all up and I am using Super-PuTTy with it. Works a treat as the say downunder!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    Only 2 hours of lab time yesterday. I was smoked and struggling a bit with IP Routing so I stopped and started watching the ATC vids.

Part of the problems I was having was old WB1 configs. I reloaded everything with the most current configs, but still had a break end to end. After looking again, I had an interface shutdown that should not have been. A simple mistake, but I was so tired it through me for a loop.

Read about 30 mins too. Not a bad day, but I wish it could have been more productive.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    Wasn't feeling well yesterday and still not today. Must have ate something bad. Didn't do any labbing, but read for half an hour and watched several ATC VODs. Hopefully I will get some labbing in today.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    The two 2811s will be reshipped today. Can't wait for them to get here. The post office confessed they messed up and refunded the guys money. The way over charged him and blamed him for not knowing rules that didn't exist on package size. The package never left the post office he mailed it at and they returned it to him saying he should have known the package size was too big.

Mrock has inspired me. I really need to get this done within the next 9 months. Major life changes after than and I need this certification.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    Spent a lot of time on the 2811 to get it in shape for the rack. Finally got an acceptable IOS loaded on it. I am waiting on the other 2 2811s to arrive. I have their flash cards loaded with an IOS and ram waiting on their arrival. The hardest part should be mounting them in the rack, being they will replace the 3640s that are on the bottom.

It is a bit nerve racking fiddling with the equipment rather than actually labbing. I feel like I really didn't accomplish anything. I did learn my new (to me) router pretty well though. I guess that counts for something.

I guess I will read the rest of the evening and hit the labbing again tomorrow.

bonne nuit!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    Just finished Routing TCP/IP Vol I! Yea! On to Vol II now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    Read about 2.5 hours yesterday and fiddled with the 2811 to get it ready. It's good to be done with Vol I of Routing TCP/IP and starting on Vol II.

I figured out a schedule. If I can stick to it, I should have around a 1000 hrs by the lab day with almost 500 hours of reading. Hope that will do it.

Did any of you count the bootcamp lab hours in your figure?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    Hit a limitation on my 3460s tonight. Trying to configure IP SLA won't work on the IOS I have and the router won't take a 124.24T. So, I will be pulling one of the 3640s out tomorrow and installing the 2811 I have.

The other 2 2811s are on their way. Can't wait for them to get here.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member

Certifications
    OK, did about an hour reading yesterday and 3 hours of labbing. I am going to pull one of the 3640s out and put the 2811 in as soon as I am don typing this.

I am struggling a little bit with WB1 wording of tasks. It will say something like: Create a static route to Router 1 loopback interface. So I take that literally and issue the command:

ip route 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.255 S0/0.

But when I go to the answer key, the answer is:

ip route 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0 S0/0 or the IP addy of the distant end serial.

I am wondering if the real lab is as vague - don't answer that!

It has been pretty fun so far though. I am enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    Policy Based Routing is killin' me! I always hated access-lists! LOL So, many buzzers and bells you can configure. Gotta figure this out for sure.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    OK, put away 4 lab hours yesterday, some ATC VODs and about an hour of reading. Most of my experience has been in switched networks that I inherited along with some basic routing and ASA/Pix firewalls mixed in there.

I wish I had learned policy routing better in my CCNP studies; it would have saved me a bunch of headaches in some of the messed up networks I have managed.

Almost through the IP Routing section in WB1. This particular section slowed me down a bit. I am really trying to understand what is going on and why rather than just blow through it trying to memorize commands. I am trying to us the Doc CD for all my answers, but sometimes I can't find what I am looking for. Debug commands really weren't part of my tool kit in the past, though they needed to be. I am beginning to really like them. All in all, this will be an enjoyable, and lucrative journey.

Just curious, is any one reading this thread?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    I guess not.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    Well I was hoping to get through Rip yesterday, but it didn't happen, almost though. Spent 7 hours labbing and was using the Doc CD extensively through that. I am more rusty than I thought I was.

After hour 7 I decided it was time to watch some more ATC vids and try to figure out what I am doing. Got stuck on 4.10 in WB1. I feel I really need to understand what is happening rather than just blow through an exercise.

Taking a break today and will hit it again tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCDA, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE R&S, Security+, CISSP, SCP #2235, CCNA: DC
    Just a random interesting tidbit that I missed on my written studies with PBR..

set interface f0/0 f0/1

Will allow you to first send traffic out f0/0, and if it's down, f0/1. I'm not sure if I was the only one who missed that when studying, but it's good to know.

Keep up the good work!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrock4 View Post
    Just a random interesting tidbit that I missed on my written studies with PBR..

set interface f0/0 f0/1

Will allow you to first send traffic out f0/0, and if it's down, f0/1. I'm not sure if I was the only one who missed that when studying, but it's good to know.

Keep up the good work!
    Yup, missed that one....Thanks! That could be useful.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 First 123 4567 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks