+ Reply to Thread
  1. Member

Certifications
    MCP, Various CompTIAs, Help Desk Mgr, Comp Programmer-Analyst, ITIL2011 Foundation, ITSM Foundation

Default Confirmation on router physical configuration

I'm setting up a home lab for my CCNA 200-120 R & S. I have my switches ( 3 x 3550 24-port) and I'm looking at purchasing my routers now. The hardware configuration that I'm looking at so that I can do all the labs and have the routers ready to do the CCNA security (looking at just the routers for now) is as follows:

3 x 2811 Routers 512D/256D IOS 15.1
    4 x WIC-IT modules
    2 x DCE-DTE back to back cables
    3 x console cables (having three just so I don't have to unplug them from the back of the routers, just have them connected to a serial extension cable that runs to the back of a PC)

If anyone has comments of suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

Tks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS

Certifications
    CCENT (expired) CCNA R&S
    Looks good.. Also, buy a wire map reader and construct some cables by hand--straight thru and crossover. I'd make at least 8 crossovers. I also bought a serial card that gave me two more COM ports in my computer. Some computers don't have COM ports, some do. I like having three COM ports on the back of my machine
    Last edited by mikeybinec; 12-23-2014 at 01:50 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    MCP, Various CompTIAs, Help Desk Mgr, Comp Programmer-Analyst, ITIL2011 Foundation, ITSM Foundation
    Thanks for the reply. My concerns were that instead of installing 4 x WIC-1T, I should be installing 3 x WIC-2T on each router and I wouldn't need the memory of being 512/256, just install 512/128. Not sure what the cost difference is on the memory. I know that I can get the 1T for $10 each or the 2T for $30 each. In the long run, probably not a huge difference. Either way, this isn't going to be cheap for the labs as opposed to a sim. Although I understand that there is no real comparison between the sim and the actual equipment.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks