+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Certifications
    Network +, MTA: 98-366, 367,MCP, MCTS Win 7, VCP-DCV, MCSA SERVER 2012, MCTS Hyper-V
    Excellent News!!!
    Certs Gained 2017: 70-410, 70-411,74-409, MCSA Server 2012r2
    Upcoming: Security +, ITIL FOUNDATIONS, 70-345 Exchange Server 2016, Ccent

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” - 1 Thessalonians 5:11
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNA: R&S, Security, CyberOps; CompTIA: A+, N+, S+, L+, P+; MTA, MCP, ITIL Foundation, CIW DDS
    To increase your interview chances, may want to think about CCNA Security, which is more focused on the technical aspects of enforcing security policies. My favorite topic is how to setup and manage IPSec.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSCS, CCNA, Sec+, Net+
    Quote Originally Posted by jjones618 View Post
    Congrats on your PASS!!

I'm looking to do self-study for the exam. What would be a good lab setup to prep for both the tests? I've read people are setting up VMs with Kali and metasploit for their labs. Are any Cisco technologies used in this cert (i.e. ASA)? Other than the VMs what else should be added to a lab setup?

Thanks!
    Hi jjones618. I'm sorry it took so long to respond. I haven't been on TE for a while. Anyway, we spent a lot of time on Security Onion and Wireshark. We didn't do anything (as I recall) with Metasploit. We had to know the different attacks and how to spot them using these tools. We had to know the various packet headers and what could be changed in the headers to carry out attacks. I hope that helps. Best of luck to you!
    Before I do anything I ask myself, "would an idiot do that?" and if the answer is yes I do not do that thing. Dwight Schrute
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    Congrats!!
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT
    I submitted for the same scholarship, but unfortunately I didn't hear anything back as far as getting accepted lol
    I was curious what you thought about the Cyber Ops vs CCNA Sec. I am currently working towards my CCNA R/S, but after I want to go into Sec, but I have been studying the Cyber Ops and some people are saying to just study CCNA Sec. Any advice?

Grats on the Cert
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSCS, CCNA, Sec+, Net+
    mr.comfortably, I can't compare the 2 certs because I haven't taken the CCNA Sec class. However, I'm wondering if Sec might be a more sought-after cert at least for now. I haven't seen many job listings for CCNA Cyber Ops yet but it might just be a matter of time. I imagine Cisco knows this will be a need in the immediate future or they wouldn't have designed a cert to train on it. Maybe you could check job posts in your area. Also keep checking with Cisco to see if they open up the scholarship again. Good luck!
    Before I do anything I ask myself, "would an idiot do that?" and if the answer is yes I do not do that thing. Dwight Schrute
    Reply With Quote Quote  

First off, congrats on CCNA CyberOps. It's one of my goals in the near future.

As far as the other poster's question goes about CCNA Sec vs CyberOps, they have completely different career paths in mind. The CCNA Sec is for someone who wants to be a network security admin, setting up appliances and firewalls. This kind of job specialty you'll likely only find at larger companies, although the knowledge can still be useful in a small environment where you have to do a little bit of everything. The CCNA CyberOps is for someone who wants to be a SOC analyst, examining packets and flows on a dashboard. Two very different certs. For someone who wants to work in the security field, CyberOps will be more valuable by far. CCNA Sec, ironically, is more for someone already in the networking field who's moving to specialize in security appliances.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Security+, Network+, Server+
    Quote Originally Posted by NuclearBeavis View Post
    First off, congrats on CCNA CyberOps. It's one of my goals in the near future.

As far as the other poster's question goes about CCNA Sec vs CyberOps, they have completely different career paths in mind. The CCNA Sec is for someone who wants to be a network security admin, setting up appliances and firewalls. This kind of job specialty you'll likely only find at larger companies, although the knowledge can still be useful in a small environment where you have to do a little bit of everything. The CCNA CyberOps is for someone who wants to be a SOC analyst, examining packets and flows on a dashboard. Two very different certs. For someone who wants to work in the security field, CyberOps will be more valuable by far. CCNA Sec, ironically, is more for someone already in the networking field who's moving to specialize in security appliances.
    This is a good explanation of differences between the two certs. I finally received a response from Cisco about the next cohort. I still think CCNA carries a better RIO compared to something like CSA+

I hope it gets added to DoD 8570 soon.
    2017 Goals: Security+ [] Server+ []
    2018 Goals: CCNA R/S, Security [ ]
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member
    @geekychick Hi, congrats for your new certification. Could you please review the official CCNA:CyberOps guides? I have read some bad reviews about nonsense in there and I would like to know whether is it actually worth of money. Is it good book which I can use for learning for exam AND the quality is high enough so I can read it even in 5 years and I will not cry how full of bullshit is it. Thanks a lot.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS in Security Information, Sec+,A+, Server+, Network+, Certified Network Defense Profesional (CNDP), Certified Cybercrime Forensic Investigator
    Wow apparently I'm out, I forgot to fill the last step for the Scholarship, I email them but nothing. And still havent received any news.
    But anyways I plan to take by February.

Was looking for the Price at Pearson Vue! 300 for the First one :O!!
    Year goals
    Security+ [done] Next is CCENT-CCNA [loading..]
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS in Security Information, Sec+,A+, Server+, Network+, Certified Network Defense Profesional (CNDP), Certified Cybercrime Forensic Investigator
    Wow apparently I'm out, I forgot to fill the last step for the Scholarship, I email them but nothing. And still havent received any news.
    But anyways I plan to take by February.

Was looking for the Price at Pearson Vue! 300 for the First one :O!!

Quote Originally Posted by GeekyChick View Post
    Awesome! I hope you get the same mentoring group I had. They were really good. Best of luck to you! I'm sure you'll do well!
    Year goals
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+
    What do you mean you forgot? It doesn't have to be completed until Dec. 8 for cohort 5.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    From last year. I was supposed to enter on the cohort for December.
    I forgot to fill the survey. The last survey. :S

Quote Originally Posted by djmd808 View Post
    What do you mean you forgot? It doesn't have to be completed until Dec. 8 for cohort 5.
    Year goals
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CCNA:R/S, CCENT, ITIL 2011, B.S. IT, CompTIAx5, MCTSx2, MTAx1,
    Congrats! I start mine next month--I just started reading the books yesterday ^^
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks