+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 58 First ... 253132333435 3637383945 ... Last

Certifications
    BSc (Hons) Computer Science, A+, Network+, Security+, DCSE, MCP, CCENT, CCNA.
    Can I have your cabinet, please? I've been wanting one for a long, long time.
    Last edited by MAC_Addy; 06-18-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CCNA:R/S, CCENT, ITIL 2011, B.S. IT, CompTIAx5, MCTSx2, MTAx1,
    From top to bottom:
    Skeletek 12U Rack
    3x 2950
    1x 2610XM: 2x WIC1T, NM-4A/S (Frame Relay Switch)
    2x 2610XM: 2x WIC1T
    1x 2611XM: 2x WIC1T, NM-16A (Access Server)

Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC_Addy View Post
    You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

I need a few so let's hear your secret
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    I need a few so let's hear your secret
    Our company leases a lot of buildings. We needed two offices in a city - I went in there to do an estimate on what we'd need. They were sitting in the IT closet all boxed up. I thought that previous owner would take them, but no. I let them sit in there for 3 months before I brought them home. Of course, I'm not going to sell them - that'll be wrong. But I did take up the running configs along with the IOS.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member

Certifications
    GCFA, GWAPT, CCNA
    Wow guys nice lab I just have 2 2950T with no rack.

I've a little question for my lab ... I've just got a cat in the house and what rack should I get with a cat near ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSc, MCITP:EA, CCN/DP, CCNA Sec, ITILv3, LPIC-1
    This is mine. From the top, it's:
    1 no. LackRack
    1 no. 2522
    2 no. 2950
    1 no. 2950
    1 no. 3750X (full enterprise image!!!)
    2 no. 3550

There's also (not shown):
    1 no. 877
    2 no. 1921
    2 no. something or others. Old 10/100 switches - smaller than the 2950s.

The 3750X is worth €8k. Shame I had to give it back to the customer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT Security, A.A.S. Electronics Engineering Technology, ITIL V.3, A+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA (R&S, Security), MTA: 98-364
    Quote Originally Posted by megadeth199 View Post
    Wow guys nice lab I just have 2 2950T with no rack.

I've a little question for my lab ... I've just got a cat in the house and what rack should I get with a cat near ?
    Something that will help hide your wires, and keep it out of the cabinet...something with doors?
    Last edited by LinuxRacr; 05-04-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I have a cat, well, I don't have a cat, but my fiancee does... She (the cat) doesn't really go near any of the cables around the back - she usually sleeps behind it though, since it's nice and warm for her. The cat is weird, too. She LOOOOVES to chew on plastic things, but not cables. If I were you I'd either take the risk, or figure how many U's you need and search for a network cabinet. Cabinets can get very, very pricey.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, A+, MCP
    well another option and one that has worked well for me with my two cats is using this product.

Amazon.com: Innotek SSSCAT Cat Training Aid: Pet Supplies

it works great and the cat learns to stay away and its not harmful to them.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member
    Some cats don't like fans/things blowing at them.

Could rig up a high frequency (out of human hearing) circuit to generate annoying noises to keep the cat away . One of those cat stop devices (amazon and pet shops sell them)

Then put a few catnip plants in a different room on the other side of the house/apartment.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation, CCNP SWITCH,ROUTE, Zoology BSc,
    Our company leases a lot of buildings. We needed two offices in a city - I went in there to do an estimate on what we'd need. They were sitting in the IT closet all boxed up. I thought that previous owner would take them, but no. I let them sit in there for 3 months before I brought them home. Of course, I'm not going to sell them - that'll be wrong. But I did take up the running configs along with the IOS.
    My last company let me rack up my lab at work with remote access, there was also a deal I could use the spares we had in stock for DR. At one point I have 5 X 3750's and 6 X 3550. Was a sad day when I left and only got to take the cheap old routers with me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSc, MCITP:EA, CCN/DP, CCNA Sec, ITILv3, LPIC-1
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilWAH View Post
    My last company let me rack up my lab at work with remote access, there was also a deal I could use the spares we had in stock for DR. At one point I have 5 X 3750's and 6 X 3550.
    One word: nice.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member

Certifications
    GCFA, GWAPT, CCNA
    I have a cat, well, I don't have a cat, but my fiancee does... She (the cat) doesn't really go near any of the cables around the back - she usually sleeps behind it though, since it's nice and warm for her. The cat is weird, too. She LOOOOVES to chew on plastic things, but not cables. If I were you I'd either take the risk, or figure how many U's you need and search for a network cabinet. Cabinets can get very, very pricey.
    Lol same thing it's not mine. I don't thing my girlfriend cat will go around she don't like to me near my computer case. She just like to be on my chair. I saw that a cabinet can be realy pricey so i think i will go with a rack

thanks guys.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNP R&S
    Here is my lab, currently doing ccnp. Purchased a few more switches to get me through SWITCH and use my pc with ubuntu on it to bridge dynamips to my switches. Also got a cheap shelf cabinet type thing from the local hardware store. It seems to do the trick.

x3 2950's ( i purchased a couple extra of these so i could build more interesting spanning tree topologies )
    x1 3550
    x1 3750 ( my most recent addition )

I also included a picture of my custom built terminal server I saw a few people doing this using the ser2net program in linux to map terminal sessions to all your usb ports. This is so handy! and beats buying an access server! plus I am beginning to see the power of linux in general, as I have written a few scripts to open up dynamips and my terminal sessions for me automatically vs having to fumble around in windows.

Basically its a usb hub with about 7 ports on it then from the hub I purchased 5 usb to serial connectors that hook up to the console cable going into the back of the switches. Then as you can see in the pic all the other cables go into my room lol ( because I hate the noise of a lab going, I segregated the areas so I can lab in peace) I have a 5m usb extension cable going to the back of my pc then I have another 3 ethernet links going into dynamips to act as hosts. ( I also found away to make 3 ethernet links going into dynamips to create as many hosts as you want in different vlans )

It took me a while to get all this going it is my current solution to building a "cheaper" lab to get through ccnp whilst at the same time providing enough complexity to try alot of interesting scenarios
    Another solution to doing this would be if you had another pc lying around to host dynamips on with ubuntu on it, you could avoid all the cables as you could just have 1 ethernet cable running to the ubuntu machine and remote into it. I could see that would most likely be the way to go for a CCIE lab.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP, S+, N+, A+
    Mine is still growing

2x 3640 running 12.4 32/128mb with NM4A/S and 1E2W
    3x 2620 with WIC2T cards
    1x 2620 with WIC1T card
    1x 3620 with 2x 1e2w modules

3x 2950-24
    3x 2950T-24

Digi CM32
    PIX 515
    Last edited by JeanM; 06-18-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP (RS), CCDP, CCNA (DC, RS, SEC, VOC, WLS), CCDA, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIA-Junos, RCSA, ITILv3-F
    Work in progress in reconfiguring my old CCNP R&S lab to mirror INE's topology. Sold off the 2950s and 3550s and replaced them with 3560s and 3750 PoEs. BB1/FRS, BB2, and BB3 are shown on the bottom. The empty slot above the switches are reserved 3x 1841s which are on order. R3 (not shown) is a 3825 ISR. R1 and R2 (2811s) are on order as well.

182728_10100543205648477_1693717559_n.jpg

Final configuration will feature:

2650XM Access Server
    2x 2811 ISRs (for future Voice telephony work)
    3825 ISR
    3x 1841 ISRs
    2x 3750PS EMI
    2x 3560PS EMI
    3x 2650XM
    Last edited by Somnipotent; 06-12-2012 at 04:20 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar

Certifications
    Here's an update of my rack. I decided to fix all my cabling mess around the back. It looks so much better now! I still have to attach the rest of my console cables.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    LPIC-3, Security+, SCSA-9, SCSA-10, Sun Security, Sun Cluster 3.2, CCNA, RHCSA, ITIL v3 Foundation, RHCE
    Lab_Foto.jpg

I have also upgraded and improved my lab in recent weeks while preparing for the SWITCH exam.

The black unit on top is an APC power switch that allows me to power on/off the lab with a browser.
    Below that is an MRV access server that provides console access via Telnet/SSH or Web to all devices.

The 5 routers are all pretty old stuff (2500 Series) but I think I can still use them when approaching ROUTE.

The three Switches are 3550-24, 3550-48 and a 3560G-48 (nice!). I just ordered two more GBICs and cables to get more interconnects.

I hope this lab will be sufficient to get me through CCNP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation, CCNP SWITCH,ROUTE, Zoology BSc,
    whats the power switch you have, I looking for one

the switchs should do fine for CCNP, only 3560 supports prvt vlans, but you can get away with just one, you might want a few layer 2 switchs 2950's jsut to bulk it out, but the ones you have will be a nice core to build up around.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation
    Is that APC a 7900? That's what I have, I like it but lately the web interface has been very laggy - I think something might be wrong with it because sometimes it will just stop responding for about 10 minutes or so. Not sure if anyone else has had similar issues, I don't seem to have any problems when accessing it via telnet/ssh, but https is a struggle.

From top to bottom:
    • Digi CM 32 Console Server
    • APC AP7900
    • 2611XM 256MB with CME
    • 2621XM 128MB
    • 3550-24-PWR (EMI Image)
    • (3)3550-48 (EMI Image)
    • Dell PowerEdge 2850 with 3 Adaptec Quad NIC cards - (2) ANA-62044 & (1)ANA-64044LV

These older pics don't show the Digi CM 32 console server I recently added, but are of much better quality:
    IMG_0151.jpgIMG_0154.jpgIMG_0164.jpg

And some fuzzy camera phone pics showing the newly added Digi CM 32 :
    IMAG0052.jpgIMAG0053.jpg
    Last edited by astrogeek; 06-17-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    LPIC-3, Security+, SCSA-9, SCSA-10, Sun Security, Sun Cluster 3.2, CCNA, RHCSA, ITIL v3 Foundation, RHCE
    Yes, it's an APC 7900. A nice upgrade compared to the Baytech RPC I had before. It's got a nice web interface and works quite well for me.

I was thinking about adding a 3506 to play more with Fiber but since this is an L2 Switch only I am not so sure if those 60 € would be well spent...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Junior Member Registered Member Benson_Harlee's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, Network+
    This is what ive got so far.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+
    IMAG0059.jpgThis is what I have so far.. Its small but good enough for CCNA level stuff.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Several
    Is this a decent setup for the cost?

CISCO COMPLETE CCNA LAB PACKAGE 16/64 2950 2612 2611 WIC-1T 2610 XM 2620 KIT 0746320181813 | eBay

Or can something better be built for around $300?

I'm studying for the ICND1 and then ICND2 exam. I can't afford those gigantic switches you guys have in those pics. I've been researching them and all and a lot of those are out of my league expense wise.

I also can't seem to find any racks really.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation (2011)
    Considering what I bought and doing the currency conversion I think that price is about right.. I always got recommended to buy 3 routers though and 3 switches (not as important though).
    Three switches is better than two, for improved study of Spanning Tree Protocol, and also VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) - the third switch is not quite so important as the third router, but still a "nice to have" if it fits within budget. The modern CCNA syllabus really needs a minimum of CIsco 2950 switches.
    With just two routers, they will always be directly connected, one way or another, and so most of that discovery process is redundant. The third router is placed between the first two, breaking that direct connection.

--------------

My lab
    3 2950s
    3 1760s (4 WIC-1Ts)
    Its very messy at the back! But its also next to my desk which I use 7 plugs for.. I wish the switches had power switches on though like the routers, unplugging the power lead is annoying =( Also want a rack but they look so expensive.
    IMG_0477.jpgIMG_0432.JPGIMG_0431.JPG
    Last edited by oli356; 06-19-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks