+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Results 51 to 68 of 68
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    296
    #51
    Quote Originally Posted by markzab
    I just tried something out just like I did with the 2950. I rebooted the machine holding down the "mode" button and now I'm in the switch at this setting...

    ------------------------

    C2900XL Boot Loader (C2900-HBOOT-M) Version 11.2(8.1)SA6, MAINTENANCE INTERIM SOFTWARE
    Compiled Fri 14-May-99 17:42 by jchristymands
    starting...
    Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:d0:ba:fc:a3:c0sionr image
    Xmodem file system is available. Show mvr global parameters he

    The system has been interrupted prior to ini
    flash_init
    load_helper
    boot port

    switch:

    ------------------------

    I can type normally here so it's not my connection to the switch. I think what I'm going to do is just delete the olf flash with a new one. Without opening the book to look, will that get rid of whatever config is on here? I have a feeling that this issues I'm having are because of the current set-up.

    What do you guys think?
    Sorry,

    I bailed and got some Z's till my adoring study buddy - my maltese woke me up for a trip to the yard...

    She gots needs too...

    ========================

    OK - You know the drill you've been here before and you handled it like a pro.

    Let's do it again and make come quick work out of this puppy.

    Remember:

    1. Flash_init

    2. Load_Helper

    3. Dir flash:

    4. rename flash:config.text flash:config.old (I advise you do this and at least see what the old chap was up to.... I save everyone of them - sometimes I find nifty config ideas...)

    5. type: boot <Enter>

    6. It better come up correctly...

    7. I would advise checking the config-register as well - Let me know what it is...

    Later...

    And I know by now you sleep like I do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    296
    #52
    Hey -


    Before anyone gets any ideas - I did not sell Mark these switches....


    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member seraphus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    RTP Area
    Posts
    310

    Certifications
    JNCIA-ER, CCNA, A+, Others: CCIE Written passed 6/2/10
    #53
    Quote Originally Posted by DarbyWeaver
    Hey -


    Before anyone gets any ideas - I did not sell Mark these switches....


    LOL
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,100

    Certifications
    Linux+, Project+, MCTS: Windows 7
    #54
    ouch, souds like you'e had a crappy experience with switches so far.

    i guess i was lucky enough to where all three of my (2924) switches just needed a quick password reset (via the method darby just posted)

    I'd also email the seller and tell them that you need the password.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sunny Isles Beach, FL.
    Posts
    630

    Certifications
    Expired: CCNA, CCDA, CCNP. Working on re-certs starting with CCNA.
    #55
    Quote Originally Posted by DarbyWeaver
    Quote Originally Posted by markzab
    I just tried something out just like I did with the 2950. I rebooted the machine holding down the "mode" button and now I'm in the switch at this setting...

    ------------------------

    C2900XL Boot Loader (C2900-HBOOT-M) Version 11.2(8.1)SA6, MAINTENANCE INTERIM SOFTWARE
    Compiled Fri 14-May-99 17:42 by jchristymands
    starting...
    Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:d0:ba:fc:a3:c0sionr image
    Xmodem file system is available. Show mvr global parameters he

    The system has been interrupted prior to ini
    flash_init
    load_helper
    boot port

    switch:

    ------------------------

    I can type normally here so it's not my connection to the switch. I think what I'm going to do is just delete the olf flash with a new one. Without opening the book to look, will that get rid of whatever config is on here? I have a feeling that this issues I'm having are because of the current set-up.

    What do you guys think?
    Sorry,

    I bailed and got some Z's till my adoring study buddy - my maltese woke me up for a trip to the yard...

    She gots needs too...

    ========================

    OK - You know the drill you've been here before and you handled it like a pro.

    Let's do it again and make come quick work out of this puppy.

    Remember:

    1. Flash_init

    2. Load_Helper

    3. Dir flash:

    4. rename flash:config.text flash:config.old (I advise you do this and at least see what the old chap was up to.... I save everyone of them - sometimes I find nifty config ideas...)

    5. type: boot <Enter>

    6. It better come up correctly...

    7. I would advise checking the config-register as well - Let me know what it is...

    Later...

    And I know by now you sleep like I do.
    Gentlemen, good morning...or should I say afternoon. See that's the difference between our sleep paterns Darby. I can stay up late as hell, but when I do, I'm sleeping late as hell the next day too.

    But in regards to the above...you were correct and it's now working (what else is new).

    I've got a couple easier questions now though. The first would be, if this was only a PW reset issue, what was the deal with not being able to type anything last night? I would think it would allow me to hit RETURN and then at least attempt passwords. I couldn't even get through that. And I don't know how to show you the config.old now. Remember, no TFTP yet so I can't move it. No way in hell I'm doing a reverse xmodem, NO WAY! I don't even know if that's possible anyway.

    And I havent seen this before and was just wondering what that is...

    line con 0
    password cisco
    login
    transport input none
    stopbits 1


    Some kind of switch mumbo-jumbo? Cause I don't think I've seen that on the console of a router before. "stopbits1" was there even before I enables a pw on that interface. The other line came up afterwards.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    296
    #56

    Gentlemen, good morning...or should I say afternoon. See that's the difference between our sleep paterns Darby. I can stay up late as hell, but when I do, I'm sleeping late as hell the next day too.

    But in regards to the above...you were correct and it's now working (what else is new).

    I've got a couple easier questions now though. The first would be, if this was only a PW reset issue, what was the deal with not being able to type anything last night? I would think it would allow me to hit RETURN and then at least attempt passwords. I couldn't even get through that. And I don't know how to show you the config.old now. Remember, no TFTP yet so I can't move it. No way in hell I'm doing a reverse xmodem, NO WAY! I don't even know if that's possible anyway.

    And I havent seen this before and was just wondering what that is...

    line con 0
    password cisco
    login
    transport input none
    stopbits 1


    Some kind of switch mumbo-jumbo? Cause I don't think I've seen that on the console of a router before. "stopbits1" was there even before I enables a pw on that interface. The other line came up afterwards.

    1. Transport input none - Hmmm.... in the console - I wonder why you could not type...

    2. Type the command "more flash:config.old" and you will see the old config in all its glory.


    So...

    Get back on the horse and finish learning what you started...

    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sunny Isles Beach, FL.
    Posts
    630

    Certifications
    Expired: CCNA, CCDA, CCNP. Working on re-certs starting with CCNA.
    #57
    Ok, here you go Darby...

    This thing was no joke man. Looks like it may have been a University switch...

    --------------------------------------

    more flash:config.old
    !
    ! Last configuration change at 08:13:07 PDT Thu Apr 20 2006 by nmcisco
    ! NVRAM config last updated at 08:13:12 PDT Thu Apr 20 2006 by nmcisco
    !
    version 12.0
    no service pad
    service timestamps debug datetime localtime
    service timestamps log datetime localtime
    service password-encryption
    !
    hostname cat2924lothb324-2
    !
    logging trap debugging
    logging facility local2
    logging 138.23.10.42
    logging 138.23.10.15
    logging 138.23.10.17
    aaa new-model
    aaa authentication login default group tacacs+ enable
    aaa authorization exec default group tacacs+ if-authenticated
    enable secret 5 $1$2Bof$e0d8P/ZBI9TBcIvXH2Jsi/
    !
    !
    !
    clock timezone PST -8
    clock summer-time PDT recurring
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    ip domain-name ucr.edu (University of some sort?)
    ip name-server 138.23.226.101
    ip name-server 138.23.201.101
    vmps reconfirm 20
    vmps server 138.23.61.50 primary
    vmps server 138.23.61.52
    (Never heard of VMPS.)
    !
    !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
    description UP cat2924lothb324-1 Fa0/1
    duplex full
    speed 100
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/2
    no logging event link-status
    switchport access vlan dynamic
    spanning-tree portfast
    !
    (same config from fa0/2 through fa0/24)
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/24
    no logging event link-status
    switchport access vlan dynamic
    spanning-tree portfast
    !
    interface VLAN1
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no ip route-cache
    shutdown (Is this saying that they shut down the administrative VLAN 1?)
    !
    interface VLAN60
    ip address 138.23.60.41 255.255.255.0
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no ip route-cache
    !
    ip default-gateway 138.23.60.1
    no ip http server
    access-list 2 permit 138.23.50.158
    access-list 2 permit 138.23.69.163
    access-list 2 permit 138.23.61.100
    access-list 2 permit 138.23.225.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 2 permit 138.23.222.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 2 permit 138.23.226.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 2 permit 138.23.10.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.50.158
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.69.163
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.61.32
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.61.50
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.61.52
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.61.10
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.61.100
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.222.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.226.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.10.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.2.0 0.0.0.255
    snmp-server engineID local 00000009020000D0BAFCA3C0
    snmp-server community MtndeW RO 3
    snmp-server community public view v1default RO
    snmp-server community $m0k1n RO 3
    snmp-server community $ysc0-gr8 RW 3
    snmp-server community ilikePIE RW 3
    snmp-server location Lothian B324
    snmp-server contact Network Operations
    snmp-server chassis-id 0x10
    snmp-server system-shutdown
    snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkdown linkup coldstart
    snmp-server enable traps vlan-membership
    snmp-server enable traps config
    snmp-server enable traps entity
    snmp-server enable traps hsrp
    snmp-server enable traps c2900
    snmp-server enable traps vtp
    snmp-server enable traps cluster
    snmp-server host 138.23.10.15 trap public
    tacacs-server host 138.23.1.100
    tacacs-server host 138.23.226.20
    tacacs-server host 138.23.201.98
    tacacs-server attempts 5
    tacacs-server timeout 10
    tacacs-server host 138.23.1.100
    tacacs-server host 138.23.226.20
    tacacs-server host 138.23.201.98
    tacacs-server attempts 5
    tacacs-server timeout 10
    tacacs-server key corstat64
    rmon event 1 owner config
    !
    line con 0
    transport input none (Yeah, I can see now why I couldn't do anything via the console. There wasn't even a pw set on it to begin with)
    stopbits 1
    line vty 0 4
    access-class 2 in
    password 7 005442554E161F0F3D24
    line vty 5 15
    access-class 2 in
    password 7 005442554E161F0F3D24
    !
    ntp clock-period 22518325
    ntp server 138.23.226.101
    ntp server 138.23.201.101
    end

    ----------------------------------------------------

    So THAT's what a serious friggin config looks like.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    296
    #58
    Quote Originally Posted by markzab
    Ok, here you go Darby...

    This thing was no joke man. Looks like it may have been a University switch...

    --------------------------------------

    more flash:config.old
    !
    ! Last configuration change at 08:13:07 PDT Thu Apr 20 2006 by nmcisco
    ! NVRAM config last updated at 08:13:12 PDT Thu Apr 20 2006 by nmcisco
    !
    version 12.0
    no service pad
    service timestamps debug datetime localtime
    service timestamps log datetime localtime
    service password-encryption
    !
    hostname cat2924lothb324-2
    !
    logging trap debugging
    logging facility local2
    logging 138.23.10.42
    logging 138.23.10.15
    logging 138.23.10.17
    aaa new-model
    aaa authentication login default group tacacs+ enable
    aaa authorization exec default group tacacs+ if-authenticated
    enable secret 5 $1$2Bof$e0d8P/ZBI9TBcIvXH2Jsi/
    !
    !
    !
    clock timezone PST -8
    clock summer-time PDT recurring
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    ip domain-name ucr.edu (University of some sort?)
    ip name-server 138.23.226.101
    ip name-server 138.23.201.101
    vmps reconfirm 20
    vmps server 138.23.61.50 primary
    vmps server 138.23.61.52
    (Never heard of VMPS.)
    !
    !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
    description UP cat2924lothb324-1 Fa0/1
    duplex full
    speed 100
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/2
    no logging event link-status
    switchport access vlan dynamic
    spanning-tree portfast
    !
    (same config from fa0/2 through fa0/24)
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/24
    no logging event link-status
    switchport access vlan dynamic
    spanning-tree portfast
    !
    interface VLAN1
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no ip route-cache
    shutdown (Is this saying that they shut down the administrative VLAN 1?)
    !
    interface VLAN60
    ip address 138.23.60.41 255.255.255.0
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no ip route-cache
    !
    ip default-gateway 138.23.60.1
    no ip http server
    access-list 2 permit 138.23.50.158
    access-list 2 permit 138.23.69.163
    access-list 2 permit 138.23.61.100
    access-list 2 permit 138.23.225.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 2 permit 138.23.222.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 2 permit 138.23.226.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 2 permit 138.23.10.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.50.158
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.69.163
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.61.32
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.61.50
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.61.52
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.61.10
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.61.100
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.222.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.226.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.10.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 3 permit 138.23.2.0 0.0.0.255
    snmp-server engineID local 00000009020000D0BAFCA3C0
    snmp-server community MtndeW RO 3
    snmp-server community public view v1default RO
    snmp-server community $m0k1n RO 3
    snmp-server community $ysc0-gr8 RW 3
    snmp-server community ilikePIE RW 3
    snmp-server location Lothian B324
    snmp-server contact Network Operations
    snmp-server chassis-id 0x10
    snmp-server system-shutdown
    snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkdown linkup coldstart
    snmp-server enable traps vlan-membership
    snmp-server enable traps config
    snmp-server enable traps entity
    snmp-server enable traps hsrp
    snmp-server enable traps c2900
    snmp-server enable traps vtp
    snmp-server enable traps cluster
    snmp-server host 138.23.10.15 trap public
    tacacs-server host 138.23.1.100
    tacacs-server host 138.23.226.20
    tacacs-server host 138.23.201.98
    tacacs-server attempts 5
    tacacs-server timeout 10
    tacacs-server host 138.23.1.100
    tacacs-server host 138.23.226.20
    tacacs-server host 138.23.201.98
    tacacs-server attempts 5
    tacacs-server timeout 10
    tacacs-server key corstat64
    rmon event 1 owner config
    !
    line con 0
    transport input none (Yeah, I can see now why I couldn't do anything via the console. There wasn't even a pw set on it to begin with)
    stopbits 1
    line vty 0 4
    access-class 2 in
    password 7 005442554E161F0F3D24
    line vty 5 15
    access-class 2 in
    password 7 005442554E161F0F3D24
    !
    ntp clock-period 22518325
    ntp server 138.23.226.101
    ntp server 138.23.201.101
    end

    ----------------------------------------------------

    So THAT's what a serious friggin config looks like.

    PION.UCR.EDU to be exact

    University of California - Riverside

    PION - Probably from the physics department.

    They probably have a Cisco ACS Server preforming TACAC+ and they are using Cisco VMPS to manage their VLANS.

    The reason the console is disabled is because, quite frankly, they do not need it.

    They have a local NTP Server with a Public IP Address...

    The NTP Server is the DNS Server...

    Probably Unix...

    Yes VLAN 1 is not recommended actually in some schools of thought - so it is disabled.

    The Admin uses an alias account to perform administration of his network - at least from Cisco Works aka nmcisco.


    The admin loves mountain dew, pie and Cisco and either likes to smoke or like Carey... the actor...


    Hmmm...

    Now if we decrypt his passwords...

    We might learn more...

    However, they may be the SNMP Strings...


    ======================

    This config is not as advanced as it could be, but then that may be why it is being replaced.


    Hmmm....

    Port Configuration does not seem to have been tweaked much or optimized... for that matter...


    But it is not a bad config...

    I just wonder why the NetOps guys did not wipe it... in the first place.

    See my point?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    296
    #59
    I do not think much that they defined their network by explicitly allowing so many whole subnets in...

    Almost defines their network...

    Why bother performing recon, they did it for you...

    Now it was good they have at least 3 Syslog Servers and 3 ACS Servers - they believe in redundancy...

    Overall they are probably a well-run shop.

    But I must wonder do they have a guru on-site or is this a one-time deal...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    958

    Certifications
    MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, A+, CCNA certified, Cisco Networking Academy Semester 4 graduate
    #60
    Quote Originally Posted by markzab
    ip domain-name ucr.edu (University of some sort?)
    ucr.edu refers to the "University of California - Riverside."

    Source:
    1. UCRiverside - http://www.ucr.edu
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    296
    #61
    See those dynamic vlan assignments under the ports...

    That's kewl since it allows a user to register with the VMPS Server and the port be assigned a server based on the mac address of the device using each port...

    Neat huh!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sunny Isles Beach, FL.
    Posts
    630

    Certifications
    Expired: CCNA, CCDA, CCNP. Working on re-certs starting with CCNA.
    #62
    Interesting stuff. This turned out to be a good thread with ups and downs. Good for future reference I'd think. Unfortunately it looks as though it may be coming to an end as I don't have anymore broken machines.

    What to do, what to do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    296
    #63
    Would you like gear with some bones tossed in?

    Hmm...

    There's a task setting up a network, inserting faults, and letting others try to resolve those issues...

    Hmm...

    What a concept?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    134

    Certifications
    A+ and Network +......
    #64
    I can't help you with your switch but I am looking forward to the day I can call Darby and get his help.

    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sunny Isles Beach, FL.
    Posts
    630

    Certifications
    Expired: CCNA, CCDA, CCNP. Working on re-certs starting with CCNA.
    #65
    Quote Originally Posted by boyles23
    I can't help you with your switch but I am looking forward to the day I can call Darby and get his help.

    Well the crisis is over now so don't worry.

    In regards to calling Darby, I'm sure I'll be getting a fat bill in the mail anyday now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sunny Isles Beach, FL.
    Posts
    630

    Certifications
    Expired: CCNA, CCDA, CCNP. Working on re-certs starting with CCNA.
    #66
    Quote Originally Posted by DarbyWeaver
    Would you like gear with some bones tossed in?

    Hmm...

    There's a task setting up a network, inserting faults, and letting others try to resolve those issues...

    Hmm...

    What a concept?
    Got your PM bro. Shooting the payment over now. Actually that may be a good idea in regards to placing some bugs before you send them out. PLEASE write down what you f-up though just in case I get stumped and you forget.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    296
    #67
    Do you want "issues" inserted?

    It seems it would work better if a network were up and perhaps have it ready to go but some things are not quite right.

    Let a person try to work through the issues and observe the techniques used to resolve the issues.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sunny Isles Beach, FL.
    Posts
    630

    Certifications
    Expired: CCNA, CCDA, CCNP. Working on re-certs starting with CCNA.
    #68
    Quote Originally Posted by DarbyWeaver
    Do you want "issues" inserted?

    It seems it would work better if a network were up and perhaps have it ready to go but some things are not quite right.

    Let a person try to work through the issues and observe the techniques used to resolve the issues.
    Well I know you're busy so don't do anything too time consuming.

    As for the network, you know my current set-up and how that probably wouldn't work. My 3 machines here aren't even set up yet since I don't even have the cords to have them all powered on at once. And I don't even have the cables to connect the switches to the routers.

    But then again, that's where you come in. :P
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks