Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+. MCP, CCNA, HP/Dell
    This sounds cool, I just downloaded the pdf and I'll look over it later and tell you what I think. I had an excellent Cisco teacher back in my college days.

KG

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A few...
    Quote Originally Posted by KGhaleon
    This sounds cool, I just downloaded the pdf and I'll look over it later and tell you what I think. I had an excellent Cisco teacher back in my college days.

KG
    Thanks alot Funny though, I just turned 21 on the 3rd I think ive made my decision to try to get my R&S at 23 and Voice at 27 and I'm debating on my Security in my 30's.

Any who hope ya enjoy the guide

Certifications
    I was looking forward to reading it, but for some reason I can't open the pdf. Have you updated or made any changes to it lately? I'll try downloading it again.

KG

Certifications
    A few...
    Well here lately ive not really had much time, ive been a busy slave working my @$$ off.

I need to get around to adding another section to it. If you can open the pdf with 8.0 (you have to have 7.0 minimum)

Certifications
    Ah, no wonder. I'm using Acrobat reader 5.0.

7. Ancient Relic.......

Certifications
    Security+, A+, Network+, MCDST, DCSE, CST, CNST
    I just tried to open it, and I got an error, Bad Encrypt Dictionary....any ideas? I'm using Adobe 8.

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Net+ CCNA
    Have you tried going to adobe.com for any updates?

Certifications
    A few...
    It opens fine for me on adobe 8.1.0 reader. tested it on 5 lab comps here at work, any one else having an issue?

matt

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    Opened fine for me with Acrobat 8.x in Firefox (on Vista). Also downloaded and opened just fine.

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE, BSc Comp Science, CCNA (Expired), CWNA
    Opened fine for me in 7.0.9...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!

Certifications
    A few...
    I will have a few days come up where i have some free time and this guide is well over a new revision, is their any topics any one would like to see ?

mg

13. mrj
    I just finished reading the guide.

I'll start off from the beginning;;

I read the entire thread here before reading the guide, and noticed that you mentioned "I'm only 21!" several times just in this thread. Okay, that's rather pretentious and kind of bothers me but I suppose you're proud, so thats good. Then I read the page long About Me where you're basically gloating about things once again and I had to say something.

Just make the about me a bit more professional, IMO. It's great to be proud of something, but putting it in peoples faces isn't the best course of action.

I'm 22, and I know 3 CCIE's, Americans, in America, under 25 -- well, they might be over 25 now, but they received theirs at 22-23. Also a JCIE too. Kids are getting their CCNA's in high school nowadays.

Anyway, on to my editorial recommendations;;

Page 7/8; There is the diagram at the very bottom with the processor information, and your breakdown is on the NEXT page. I'd recommend moving this image down to the page the details are on.. There is actually a good 70% of the page free. It'd be easier to read if these were together.

Also make sure you do a contributions section, while this isn't a commercial guide, it's still respectful to recognize the people who have helped to provide additional content.

Also, you might want to explain what WIC's are since you go so in depth with the IOS naming, and just toss out the "You'll need xyz IOS with this WIC to do xDSL." I'd imagine most people reading this would go....WIC? Candle? I'd also think a good section would be one on the various router/switches and features. As a newbie one fo the most confusing things to me was the various WICs and figuring out which router/swtiches to use out of the 30k you find googling.

Certifications
    A few...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrj
    I just finished reading the guide.

I'll start off from the beginning;;

I read the entire thread here before reading the guide, and noticed that you mentioned "I'm only 21!" several times just in this thread. Okay, that's rather pretentious and kind of bothers me but I suppose you're proud, so thats good. Then I read the page long About Me where you're basically gloating about things once again and I had to say something.

Just make the about me a bit more professional, IMO. It's great to be proud of something, but putting it in peoples faces isn't the best course of action.

I'm 22, and I know 3 CCIE's, Americans, in America, under 25 -- well, they might be over 25 now, but they received theirs at 22-23. Also a JCIE too. Kids are getting their CCNA's in high school nowadays.

Anyway, on to my editorial recommendations;;

Page 7/8; There is the diagram at the very bottom with the processor information, and your breakdown is on the NEXT page. I'd recommend moving this image down to the page the details are on.. There is actually a good 70% of the page free. It'd be easier to read if these were together.

Also make sure you do a contributions section, while this isn't a commercial guide, it's still respectful to recognize the people who have helped to provide additional content.

Also, you might want to explain what WIC's are since you go so in depth with the IOS naming, and just toss out the "You'll need xyz IOS with this WIC to do xDSL." I'd imagine most people reading this would go....WIC? Candle? I'd also think a good section would be one on the various router/switches and features. As a newbie one fo the most confusing things to me was the various WICs and figuring out which router/swtiches to use out of the 30k you find googling.
    Well first off I am proud of my age and where I am at in life, not many can say they are in my shoes, being raised around technology, it has became my 2nd language. I am however disappointed in the field because many current employers do not recognize the potential of the comming generation.

This guide was not meant to be a commercial guide, it started as a simple post and grew into several pages of helpful information. Unfortunately, this information was getting copied word by word onto other forums and other people claiming the work as their own, I was forced to secure this guide so recognition of its orgin is noted.

When I retire my work on this guide, all materials and complete ownership will be given to johan.

I am sure along your pursuit of your CCNA, you will learn what a WIC is, as well as the new 802 track clearly goes in depth of new integrated service routers, wireless, ipv6 and I beleive touches on IPv6 routing protocol technologies.

I wrote this guide with the techexams community in mind. The material in this guide is simple material that I teach in my courses. While most of it is not required material to know for the CCNA, it is helpful in the field.

With that being said, the credit goes to techexams.net community.

But now that you've mentioned, my next section can be on general router descriptions, functions and limitations.

So with that in mind, section 1.8 will discuss 2500, 2600, and 3600 series routers in detail. I may touch up with some switching technologies as well. I will have to dig out an old document I made for one of my previous courses discussing what 2500 series routers had what ports. This is very helpful.

As for the empty space between sections, I do this to seperate each section and start with a clean page for the comming section. You are the first person to complain about this, ill take this into consideration.

Also for the record, this guide reached 10,000 views according to freewebs

Also I will revise some other parts of the guide and add a few things that people have suggested, such as dtlokee's post, and a few others.

15. Resident Underachiever EdTheLad's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP/CCIP/IE Written
    Quote Originally Posted by mgeorge27
    Unfortunately, this information was getting copied word by word onto other forums and other people claiming the work as their own, I was forced to secure this guide so recognition of its orgin is noted.
    I always thaught this forum was designed to share information rather than building egos.Seems like you need to work on other area's rather than focusing 100% on tech stuff.

Certifications
    A few...
    Quote Originally Posted by EdTheLad
    Unfortunately, this information was getting copied word by word onto other forums and other people claiming the work as their own, I was forced to secure this guide so recognition of its orgin is noted.
    I always thaught this forum was designed to share information rather than building egos.Seems like you need to work on other area's rather than focusing 100% on tech stuff.
    As I said "I was forced to secure this guide so recognition of its orgin is noted."

Is it such a bad ideal to direct traffic here?

Certifications
    CCIE #19991 R+S, CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, CCVP, CCSP, CCSI, MCSE NT4.0, 2000, 2003, + Messaging and Security, MCDBA, MCSD, MCAD
    Quote Originally Posted by EdTheLad
    As I said "I was forced to secure this guide so recognition of its orgin is noted."

Is it such a bad ideal to direct traffic here?
    I find it interesting that every 2-3 weeks you post somthing about the upcomming releases to the guide to bump this thread back up to the first page.

Who is driving traffic to who here? Techexams is driving the traffic to your guide, not the other way around, and you know this. You're trying to make a name for yourself and that' fine, but at the same time be honest about it.

BTW: the guide is not secure, it can easily be decrypted.

What one man can do another can undo

Certifications
    MCP (NT4 Server), MCSA 2000, MCSA 2003, CCNA, Security+, Network+
    Gentlemen, we've had enough of unprofessional comments in this forum recently, let's not start another one. Matt is trying to help and has something worth sharing. We were all young once, so cut him a little slack on any ego you percieve coming through.

Carry on with courtesy please.

Certifications
    A few...
    Quote Originally Posted by sprkymrk
    Gentlemen, we've had enough of unprofessional comments in this forum recently, let's not start another one. Matt is trying to help and has something worth sharing. We were all young once, so cut him a little slack on any ego you percieve coming through.

Carry on with courtesy please.
    I agree with sprkymrk, this negative energy is unnecceary. I simply try to help by providing what I know freely to benifit everyone.

I am in the process of updating it with a new section that mrj would like to see, which has information about 2500, 2600 and 3600 series routers, wics, nms, aims, etc... Which will definately help in designing a lab. I hope to have this posted before the weekend is over.

Also for fake Cisco "chisco" section, I still would like to do this but no one has provided me enough detailed pictures and I thank those who have provided what they can, this is greatly appreciated.

Certifications
    A few...
    The update has been posted.

Please msg me if I got somthing wrong I tried to get it done in a hurry because I wont be able to work on it sunday. So if theirs a few errors I'll fix them next weekend. Enjoy

21. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    MCSE NT4 MCSA 2000/2003 Security+ (expired: CWNA, CNA, CCNA)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtlokee
    Who is driving traffic to who here? Techexams is driving the traffic to your guide, not the other way around, and you know this.
    As long as he remembers that when he becomes rich and famous.

Matt and I pm-ed about this topic and his guide some time ago and I don't have any problems with how things are going right now. It doesn't exactly fit as the usual forum contents, so it is an exception to the rule, but I consider it a useful and original contribution for Cisco certification students in general. If he eventually wants to sign it over to us I'll be happy to put it online here, and it would remain in the same format (so not in a TechExams.net jacket for reasons I explained earlier in this topic).

I'm working on a solution to make it easier for members to upload 'their own original' material and share it through TechExams.net (which basically means we host it, not publish it), of which Matt's guide would be a good example, but also Paul's subnetting chart, and dtlokee's access lists practice lab.

Certifications
    A few...
    Much appreciated johan, thank you

23. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    MCSE NT4 MCSA 2000/2003 Security+ (expired: CWNA, CNA, CCNA)
    Likewise, and enjoy those download/view stats - definitely something that keeps me motivated.

Certifications
    A few...
    Well theirs a few mistakes i see i need to fix in the new section because i rushed it but i doubt ill be able to actually sit down and spend a few hours on it till next weekend. If any one notices any thing feel free to pm me.

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA CompTIA Net+ MCP MCDST wut is nortel?
    Nice pic bro

Certifications
    A few...
    Well a few people have emailed me recently asking for this guide because they couldnt get
    to it from freewebs and then i found out my account got deleted

Any who, new link

I'm also open for revisions request(s) if any one wants to see somthing added to this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks