Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last
  1. Junior Member
    Just a thought here Johan and for those you can't seem to run the router sim. I had to wait about 5 seconds before the Java cup went away and the router screen popped up. You folks might have an issue with the Java Virtual Machine not being loaded on your stations. SUN decided to stop support of this as well so "googling" for this when I needed it in the past has been a real pain. Here is the site to download it:

http://www.vanweteringen.com/jheroen...name=Downloads

Just a thought

(Just starting on studying CCNA, I'm a Nortel switch guy)

2. SS -->
  3. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    MCSE NT4 MCSA 2000/2003 Security+ (expired: CWNA, CNA, CCNA)
    Thanks for the information and the link.

SUN decided to stop support of this as well
    &

I just check and the offer the following "JAVA SOFTWARE FOR YOUR DESKTOP", which I just tried and it works perfectly:
    http://java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp

4. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    I was just reading this thread from the start again, and although it isn't used as much as I hoped initially, I would like to spend some time on the TechSims, adding some features/commands and labs. The main problem is simply that I'm not a developer/programmer and knew next to nothing of Java when I started creating this sim. And creating accurate labs and behavior of the commands, i.o.w. the Cisco stuff itself is hard enough already.

A while ago someone contacted me by PM offering to help develop this free sim (unfortunaly I haven't heard from him again). Although I'm fairly happy with the way it looks and feels, the code itself is a mess and I'm quite sure it's not coded in an efficient manner (<-understatement ). I think someone with a bit more Java knowledge could easily add some extra features (command history for example). Maybe we should make it partly open source (so anyone can create labs). Please let me know by PM or reply to this message when you are interested in helping us out with this project. Although we discussed this 'behind the scenes' a long time ago, I'd love to hear some opinions from others about this as well. In the meanwhile I'll try to find some time to clean up the code.

5. Junior Member
    it is great job but ihave 2 questions
    what is the command for change the password?
    is there any default password in routers and swiches ?

thanks alot

6. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+

Default Good jobs with RouterSim

Hey good job with the routersim, but I have a few suggestions. First would be to add abbreviated commands such as "config t" instead of just having "configure terminal". I'm not sure about the new cisco exams, but I remember the older cisco exam as recognizing the abbreviated commands. I know for a fact that the cisco routers do. Second, bit of advice is to give full reign over the router. Allow the user to use configure the router as if it were the real thing, instead of just giving them commands -- all though that's still a good option. Third, is just a purely interface kind of thing, and that is to allow the java applet to expand to full screen upon maximizing the window. So far so good though! GREAT job, hopefully we won't have to spend all that money on a Boson router sim, or even buying an older Catalyst 2500 in the future.

7. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications

Default Re: Good jobs with RouterSim

Thanks for the comments C-NAP.

The TechSims do support abbreviated commands, just not all of them (basically the ones I use personally and some other common combinations. Even TAB works in some user and priv exec mode. But as I mentioned in the initial post of the topic:
    - Not all abbreviated versions of the currently supported commands are recognized, if your favorite one is missing let me know and I'll add it.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-NAP
    Second, bit of advice is to give full reign over the router. Allow the user to use configure the router as if it were the real thing, instead of just giving them commands -- all though that's still a good option.
    Yeah, that would be nice. Apart from the obvious reason (people can go thru the 'lab' excersice) implementing the steps allows me to 'direct' the user's actions, hence make it easier to program the response. The sim is just not advanced enough to react correctly on other actions (though you can do some things outside the scope of the built-in lab).

8. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+

Default Re: Good jobs with RouterSim

No, I understand you can't possibly re-write the whole IOS. Which why I appreciate how much you've done so far. It's a great start. I don't know if you've checked out what "wildfire" has done with his available rack. Might want to check it out for ideas... Too bad it's almost impossible to port over the entire IOS legally for training purposes.

9. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Yes, I'm aware if Wildfire's lab, I actually tried it out yesterday
    One of the first things that came to mind is creating a new TechSim with a switch in it (a 2950)

Too bad it's almost impossible to port over the entire IOS legally for training purposes.
    Yeah. I imagine a VMware option to install a Cisco router or switch...

10. Junior Member
    Had fun playing with the sim
    Great work Webmaster

11. Junior Member
    I put the rip protocol on there but the show run did not reflect it.

Excellent work on this

12. Member

Certifications
    A+, I-Net+,Network+,CNST,MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, CCNP R&S
    I just wanted to say thanks for the great work. I'm working on my CCNA, well I just started yesterday. I got the whole sim down the first time with no help Not too bad for someone that is just started this whole cisco thing. Anyway, Thanks again!!

13. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCP

Default "click right from blue arrow"

When I open the router sim page, the instructions say "click right from blue arrow". I don't have a blue arrow. I am running WinXP SP2, IE Do I need to download something else?

14. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications

Default Re: "click right from blue arrow"

Quote Originally Posted by learning_new_tricks
    When I open the router sim page, the instructions say "click right from blue arrow". I don't have a blue arrow. I am running WinXP SP2, IE Do I need to download something else?
    The blue arrow is gone indeed. I guess I didn't remove it from the text. The point of it was to focus the cursor on the command line, which it should do automatically now. If it doesn't, just click on the bottom of the black portion of the screen and then press Enter.

15. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    I guess it was already kinda obvious for anyone who was interested in this, but the development of this sim has been discontinued, probably permanently. I would have liked to take this a couple of steps further, but mainly due to the lack of developing skills on my side and lack of budget to invest in having a 'free sim' developed. Maybe we'll try again in the future, but I figured it be better to finally remove the 'sticky' attribute from this topic. The currently available 'beta' TechSims will remain available from the Cisco menu on the left and the CCNA page.

On a more positive note, I will try to have our test engine changed to allow for some sim like practice questions, at least accept and check some command input.

16. Junior Member
    hi guys, im really new to cisco, im mainly a PHP programmer but wanted to learn cisco for my job

if learned a few shorthand commands, but can you guys give me some plain english explanations of:

router isis
    is-type level-1
    net
    ip router isis
    isis circuit-type level-1
    isis circuit-type level-2-only
    router rip
    ip classless
    ip subnet-zero

i know that this is probally asking alot, but i would really like to learn, i got a copy of the cbt nuggets disc called cisco ccie video practice lab, but the items in it are too complicated without a basis.

The 2 cisco techlabs are great, the are the best sim i have found sof far, and would like to continue to learn cisco using them

17. Member

Certifications
    working hard on ccna
    hey people , when i am in the step (enter the interface config. mode
    for first ethernet ...)

i write everything but still says command not supported

how do i solve this?

Certifications
    A+, Network+, MCSA2K3, Extreme Networks, iBoss, Bachelors in Business Management, MBA - Information Systems
    Very cool!

Certifications
    CCNA, Network+, A+ (CCNP Progress: 1/3)
    Well done. Great start to getting a simulator going on the forum.

Suggestion: Add a 2950 switch

20. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Thanks guys, I have created these TechSims a long time ago, and well, they are fun a useful for a while, I think I mentioned earlier it's more a simulator of a simulator. The reason this topic is no longer a sticky, is because the developement of the TechSims has been discontinued. I.o.w. there won't be any new TechSims.

However, there's something that will replace the TechSims hopefully before the end of this year. That's all I'm going to say about it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Netwurk
    Add a 2950 switch
    Thanks for the suggestion, this has uhmm.. 'switched' my mind a couple of times.

=

21. Junior Member

Default What is the Username and Password?

I can't seem to use it. What is the Username and Password?

22. Junior Member

Certifications
    ccna

Default nice work

Nice!

23. Johan Hiemstra Forum Admin Webmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Webmaster
    However, there's something that will replace the TechSims hopefully before the end of this year. That's all I'm going to say about it for now.
    Make that 'before this summer'....

24. Junior Member

Certifications
    Advanced diploma for IT practitioners, working towards HND in Telecommunications and CCNA

Default configuring router

Hi

im a newbie to cisco. Im stuck on step 6, Assign ip addres 192.168.1.11 with 24 bits subnet mask. i typed:

ip address 192.168.1.11

Please help.......Thnx

Certifications
    CCIE #19991 R+S, CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, CCVP, CCSP, CCSI, MCSE NT4.0, 2000, 2003, + Messaging and Security, MCDBA, MCSD, MCAD
    add the subnet mask to the command

ip address 192.168.1.11 255.255.255.0

26. Junior Member

Certifications
    Advanced diploma for IT practitioners, working towards HND in Telecommunications and CCNA
    ok

Thanx dtlokee

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks