View Poll Results: What is the hardest topic to study for CCNA?

Voters
5683. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bridging/Switching

396 6.97%
  • 7-layer OSI Model

422 7.43%
  • Routed Protocols (IP)

150 2.64%
  • Routing Protocol (RIP, IGRP etc.)

685 12.05%
  • WAN Protocols (Frame Relay, ISDN, PPP, etc.)

2,429 42.74%
  • LAN Technologies

106 1.87%
  • Basic Router Management and Configuration

282 4.96%
  • Access Lists

1,213 21.34%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 First 12345 6789 Last
  1. Junior Member Registered Member
    Remembering all the different routing protocols is the hardest for me. I can implement them all fine..but remembering the good/bad about each is a pain. esp ones that aren't really use that much anymore.

I don't really understanding how subnetting is so hard for everyone. I mean, really all you do is subtract each octet that isn't 255 from 256. Whatever your left with is how much that octet of the IP address can change and still be in the same subnet.

192.168.1.0 / 255.255.255.192 =

255 mean 0 change . 255 mean 0 change, 255 means 0 change, 256-192 = 64 change

so

192.168.1.0-63
    192.168.1.64-127
    192.168.1.128-191
    192.168.1.192-255

last IP on each = broadcast. first one's can be used.. anythingelse can be a device's IP basically. and i mean, the only sizes you can end up with is 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 and 256 in each octet. not hard, people!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Linux / UNIX / BSD sysadm Solaris_UNIX's Avatar
    Is subnetting not part of the CCNA exam anymore ? I didn't see it on the voting list. I remember subnetting and how it related to classful routing and CIDR seemed to be the main hurdle that newbies had problems climbing over.

I personally voted for access lists, btw. Access lists and things like spanning tree and VTP seem like some of the most important things to know on the day to day job given that it's not normal to change the "routing" settings on the core routers on a day-to-day basis.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCP, CCNA R/S, CCNA-Security, CCNA Collaboration, CCNP R/S
    I think ACLs are the most difficult and the rest to me really is cake!
    Where to place the ACL which direction (in/out) etc....you have to really play with them a lot! And then it comes to you!

802 exams take out ISDN there is no such thing on the exam. well in real life there I am sure still is
    Last edited by itdaddy; 08-19-2009 at 02:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Danman32 View Post
    For those who have installed/worked with memory on IBM XPs might remember the patterns: 512/1024/2048/4096/8192/16384/32768/65536 (I remember these last two from Apple II and Atari 800 days)
    Oh man, AT and XT class PCs.... Yeah, I remember when memory chips were available in 64k and 128k sizes. And to get your hands on an 80Mb hard drive? You were in fat city then! I remember one of my mainframe coworkers bragging about his new home PC which came with a whopping 105Mb HD. He said he hadn't even made a "dent" in it yet.

My first PC (actually a microcomputer - IBM coined the "PC" description) was a Radio Shack TRS-80. I got the "big" one with Level 2 Basic and 16k of RAM. $999.
    Standard version was Level 1 Basic and 4k of RAM.

Our company mainframe still had the iron core memory.
    Last edited by pipemajor; 08-19-2009 at 02:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    B.S. in Engineering, 10 Years in I.T., Working on CCNA--Need to find the $$ for the exam, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris_UNIX View Post
    Is subnetting not part of the CCNA exam anymore ? I didn't see it on the voting list. I remember subnetting and how it related to classful routing and CIDR seemed to be the main hurdle that newbies had problems climbing over.
    It's still on the exam and in pretty much every other question. In a lot of cases it's kind of a secondary part of the question being asked. By that I mean it doesn't actually "subnet this..blah blah blah" but in order to answer the question you will have to subnet.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member
    Hmm, for me I think that subnetting and STP have been the hardest (I take my CCNA exam in the morning).

I've found everything else to be pretty simple as I have been doing alot of the internetwork expert core technology labs from the volume I workbook that they have for the CCIE. This product is excellent and helps you to really understand the technologies. It'll also come in useful as I work towards CCNP and hopefully CCIE!

Guess I should see how tomorrow goes first
    Reply With Quote Quote  

IMHO: NAT should have separate option in poll
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Linux +, MCP, MCTS:Vista, CCENT
    I started the ICND2 book last week. So far, STP & VTP have been the hardest for me. It just took a while for all those details to sink in.

The ICND1 book was easy. The hardest thing for me was subnetting, but I got it down now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network Administration student at HTC, currently working on CCENT/CCNA
    I agree, I have been studying switching basics and intermediate routing for the last week on and off, and have got a pretty ok grasp of ospf, vlans and what not, but am kinda confused on stp, and the advanced stp(can't remember the term, but its faster cause theres no 50 sec downtime)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCP (70-270, 70-290) In Progress: CCNA, MCSA
    Supernetting can be confusing at times for me,...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Member

Certifications
    A+, CCNA R&S/ Wireless/ Voice (Collaboration) ITIL Foundation
    At the begining of CCENT, it was subnetting. Different books showed me different ways of doing it, so it took me the longest.

In ICND2, NAT/ACL looked scary, it took me a couple weeks to feel really comfortable. I even made myself a few flash cards to take them everywhere w/ me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
    Here's a poll mainly to see on which topics we should focus in our practice exams and TechNotes. The options correspond pretty much with the exam objectives.

Johan

From Todd Lammle:
    The reason people struggle so much right now is because they do not understand the NAT overload commands enough. Be sure and be able to configure NAT overload in your sleep, and be able to subnet without having to think about it..

Todd Lammle
    CCSI and Sybex Author
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member
    but i got 100% in each chapter (Bridging/Switching,7-layer OSI Model,LAN Technologies,Basic Router Management and Configuration).. except Access Lists

in access list i got only 65%....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA
    WAN was my main issue when I was studying for the CCNA. Glad I got it all figured out in the end though! lol Frame Relay was my nemesis.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation, CCNP SWITCH,ROUTE, Zoology BSc,
    I would say it was subnetting.

Not so much because I found it hard, but it was the first think I really studied and previous to that I had mostly worked on pure switch layer 2 environments. I also only knew subnetting as a classless activity, so I had to relearn in things like eigrp that Class is still important in auto sumorisation, and to not forget it exists. and that you can have issues sub/super netting across the class boundaries.

However once I got the fundamentals of ip addressing and the OSI model down. The rest all seemed common sense.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    I have some issues with supernetting and subnetting in general, especially in class A....class B is ok and class C is cakewalk....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member

Unhappy Subnetting

Guys,

Could any one help me regarding subnetting.

I am very poor in it. Am good with the all the class ip address but the thing is i could understand how to do subnetting. I tried a lot but i failed. Could any one help me out . Is there any site,pdf or tutorial where i could get through it.

Please assist me.

Thanks in advance.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA Voice
    The hardest topic to study for CCNA?

IPv6

I am not kidding, it is hard to learn after you master your IPv4 enviroment.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by tearofs View Post
    The hardest topic to study for CCNA?

IPv6

I am not kidding, it is hard to learn after you master your IPv4 enviroment.
    I'm with you there! I seem to skip that part in the book or video series and move on to something else. Even when I go back and go over old stuff, I still skip the IPv6 material. I just can't get my head around it, and it doesn't interest me, even though I know that it is the future and I will have to learn it eventually.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA
    I'd rate them all by how long it takes for the information to go from text, into memorized ideas that can play out logically(and correctly!) inside my own head.

IPv6 certainly is a doozy, but as for the choices in the poll, I'd have to give it to WAN.

WAN technologies are hard for people to grasp, probably because the first time they've seen anything near what's tested on, would be studying for CCNA. Most of these concepts were easy to learn, simply because I've seen them before in one form or another, but IPv6 and WAN are just things I don't want to deal with!

...of course I'll have to though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA Sec, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CISSP
    I can't believe that I still haven't voted.

I have to say access lists because it was a pretty tough thing to get down and they're used EVERYWHERE.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Junior Member Shockwave29361's Avatar

Certifications
    Sec+
    Access lists beat me up the first time I took the test. I just can't remember where to put standard lists and extended lists plus putting them on in-bound ports or out-bound confused me. I studied that more than anything and destroyed those questions on my second try but WAN got me from behind. Third-time's a charm I suppose.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    none - I am a soon to not be unemployed single mother of twins but damn it, I can subnet you under the table
    I see I am in good company - I chose WAN technologies too. The easiest parts for me are subnetting and the OSI model. Basic router/switch config is not too bad either.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCSE, MCSA Messaging, A+, Server+, SCP
    This is strange but the hardest topic for me is ACL because only of figuring the direction. inbound or outbound. I am always confuse with this.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA R&S, Security, Wireless & Data Center, CCNP Data Center
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
    Hardest part for me has been understanding subnetting and supernetting
    Subnetting I got down, what I really did not like was supernetting and route summary.

But to be honest, I really don't think any of the topics were hard on the CCNA. What is hard about the exam is the amount of information you have to know to pass the exam. I am glad that they made 2 exams out of it because it is a lot of information to retain.

My two cents on the topic.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 First 12345 6789 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks