+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP.
    Hmmm i'd have to see the output of 'show version' to know what you're current IOS is...altho if not supporting ssh most likely an older 12.3 image.

as for sdm:

A. Cisco SDM is factory installed on all Cisco 1800, 2800 and 3800 series routers both non-bundle and bundle SKUs.
    On Cisco 1700 Series, Cisco 2600XM, Cisco 2691, Cisco 3700 Series, Cisco 7204VXR, 7206XVR, and Cisco 7301 Cisco SDM is factory installed on the security bundles (K9) and optionally orderable on all other SKUs.
    On Cisco 831-SDM, Cisco 836-SDM, Cisco 837-SDM, Cisco Small Business 100 Series, Cisco 850 Series, and Cisco 870 Series Cisco SDM Express is factory installed on the router flash, and a Cisco SDM CD is bundled with the router

In order to see the status of you're interfaces type

'show ip int brief' from priv exec. or 'do show ip int brief' from config mode, this allows you to run show and other enable commands from
    the configuration modes without exiting all the way out and going back in...saves alot of time, useful to remember.

Your machine will handle gns3 fine.

If i was you i'd start looking at ICND1/2 options...it breaks all the topics down into manageable chunks, so you can cover ICND1 basics before learning the more advanced stuff, this will definitely help you retain thing's more..and you can effectively put study time to better use, rather than worrying about if you have everything covered all in one go.

check out cisco's website for more info.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
    Righteo. I will be going the ICND route. I'm practicing basics right now and I'll come back to your post Hexem when I'm going through that topic again... I got ahead of myself looking ahead...gotta stop doing that.

Here's something I let out a HA HA to. I erased nv ram and reloaded the switch. I created a banner and secret password as well as telnet security. Then I decided to run line console 0. To it I added login local. I exited the switch menus to logout... upon login it asked for a login at which point I know I never created a username. Is there a default username account? I just rebooted it as I never saved to NV RAM.
    Last edited by Stuppored; 03-23-2010 at 03:25 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP.
    No default usernames or passwords, you have to create everything manually, default passwords have always been an insecurity with routers and switches.

Reply With Quote Quote  

Ok. It's now 1:30am...
    I was trying to setup SSH for my Catalyst 2900seriesXL switch
    I was able to locate and download the most recent bin file from Cisco's site.
    I replaced c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC8.bin with c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin
    Out of curiousity, what does the WC stand for?
    This still did not enable the ability to turn on SSH... this switch is so outdated that SSH does not exist as a feature period?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by Stuppored View Post
    The W indicates the software is for a LAN Switching device, while the C is a release identifier (I guess there was an WA and WB at some point). Source: Guide to Cisco IOS Release Naming - Cisco Systems

This still did not enable the ability to turn on SSH... this switch is so outdated that SSH does not exist as a feature period?
    Yeah the switch is old so SSH isn't supported. There's not mention of SSH in the Release Notes, and I can't even find the image on the Cisco Feature Navigator.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    Ok. It's now 1:30am...
    I was trying to setup SSH for my Catalyst 2900seriesXL switch
    I was able to locate and download the most recent bin file from Cisco's site.
    I replaced c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC8.bin with c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin
    I gave up on my 2950 switch just last week. I tried to upgrade the IOS, well, it didn't work.

Basically the switch accepted the size of the IOS eventhough it couldn't support it. (usually it doesn't do that)

Anyways, I get stuck in #switch mode. Which is some kind of ROMMON mode. I've tried to configure TFTP server in that mode so I can replace the bad IOS with the original IOS and it doesn't work.

The next option is XMODEM. But that takes a LOOOONG time from what I hear and right now, it's just not worth my time....

What I don't like is that some commands are outdated. If you are practicing VLAN's. I think you have to go to VLAN DATABASE mode. Then configure your VLANS. Which is different from how you do it now, and that can be confusing....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Security, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCP, MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by notgoing2fail View Post
    The next option is XMODEM. But that takes a LOOOONG time from what I hear and right now, it's just not worth my time....
    Some rommon's have a switch on the "xmodem" command to use ymodem instead. Much more relaible.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Righteo, I have contacted a vendor that will help get me whatever used cisco gear I want. I would like some personal opinions here:

I want to complete CCNA and CCNP.
    I want to purchase only ONE switch and ONE router to add to my current setup. Hopefully they will work with my ancient equipment. I would like ONE of each so that I can practice the commands in my various labs without finding out I'm a bunch of IOS' out of date without chance of upgrading to make it work.

Can someone with CCNA and CCNP please recommend ONE switch and ONE router with model/features that I should look into picking up so I can proceed with my lab studies.

I will be making a flame towards the company that provided my original gear and study material later tonight so that unsuspecting individuals can read it and not make the same mistake I did.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem2te View Post
    Some rommon's have a switch on the "xmodem" command to use ymodem instead. Much more relaible.
    Thanks, I'll see if the 2950 supports this ymodem command....even if I increase the rate to 115000 baud rate, it would take awhile...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    I will be making a flame towards the company that provided my original gear and study material later tonight so that unsuspecting individuals can read it and not make the same mistake I did.
    And I deleted it.

Posting the information here only helps them move up in the Internet search rankings.

Yes -- overpriced old equipment, illegal copies of stuff, and at least one dump.

A 1721 ($50) or 2600XM ($80-200 depending on model) will do SDM and router on a stick.

A 2950 switch ($30-60) does the stuff you'll be tested on for the CCNA, though you can't do much of the cool stuff with only 1 switch.
    Last edited by mikej412; 03-26-2010 at 05:01 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Thanks...no sarcasm intended...I just needed to vent my frustration.

I found a local dealer for Cisco gear. I am picking up only 1 2950 24port switch tomorrow. They verified all ports working and give me a 90 day warranty unless I brick it by IOS upgrade failure. They weren't sure of the IOS version as they weren't a technician and I want the switch by this morning. Now based on your price range suggestion, it looks like I'm paying a lot... $174...I am not too happy about it, but I am desperate ATM to catch up on hands on labs, so whatever.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. DPG
    Thanks...no sarcasm intended...I just needed to vent my frustration.

I found a local dealer for Cisco gear. I am picking up only 1 2950 24port switch tomorrow. They verified all ports working and give me a 90 day warranty unless I brick it by IOS upgrade failure. They weren't sure of the IOS version as they weren't a technician and I want the switch by this morning. Now based on your price range suggestion, it looks like I'm paying a lot... $174...I am not too happy about it, but I am desperate ATM to catch up on hands on labs, so whatever.
    Ouch! That is a lot. You could get a 2950 for half that price if you could wait a few days for it to be shipped.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I'll consider E-bay in the future. At the same time I like that I can swap it out free of charge if I bought the wrong one, with a 1 year warranty.

I booted it up to find that it can only run an IOS of 12.1.
    Can someone please explain to me the MAJOR differences between 12.0/12.1/12.2/12.3/12.4
    I still cannot run SSH/crypto commands - I am led to believe they're available on a switch with IOS 12.2.
    Are certain ones only available on layer 3 switches, etc. I'm finding it difficult to break into IOS numbering basics. This page kind of explained a few details to me: CCNA LAB 5: Picking IOS revisions and Memory | NetworkWorld.com Community but I am still in the dark about the .1.2.3.4 core differences.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    I booted it up to find that it can only run an IOS of 12.1.
    121-22.EA13 is the latest image available for the 2950 -- so 12.1 is the current version.

I still cannot run SSH/crypto commands
    The crypto images available are:
    C2950 EI AND SI IOS CRYPTO IMAGE
    c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA13.bin
    Release Date: 03/Mar/2009
    Size: 3634.72 KB (3721946 bytes)
    Minimum Memory: DRAM:16 MB Flash:8 MB
    or
    C2950 EI AND SI IOS CRYPTO AND WEB BASED DEVICE MANAGER
    c2950-i6k2l2q4-tar.121-22.EA13.tar
    Size: 5610.00 KB (5744640 bytes)
    The non-crypto versions are:
    C2950 EI AND SI IOS IMAGE
    c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA13.bin
    Size: 3058.89 KB (3132298 bytes)
    or
    C2950 EI AND SI IOS IMAGE AND WEB BASED DEVICE MANAGER
    c2950-i6q4l2-tar.121-22.EA13.tar
    Size: 5030.00 KB (5150720 bytes)
    Guest Level CCO login still lets you download the access layer switch IOS images.... after showing the scary notice:
    Cisco's End User Software License Agreement (above) governs your use of the Cisco software listed at this web site. Click the highlighted link (above) for the full text of the Agreement, which may be updated from time to time by Cisco in its sole discretion and without notice. Cisco will post a copy of the updated version of the Cisco End User Software License Agreement, and you will independently and regularly review the Agreement at this URL.

Software Download Rules - Please Read Carefully

By clicking "Agree" below, you agree to each of the following:
    1.That you shall be bound by Cisco's End User Software License Agreement posted at the above URL regarding your use of any Cisco software you download from this web site;
    2.That you are only entitled to download Cisco software for the Cisco hardware chassis or device or the particular application software or signature file for which you have paid the applicable software license fees;
    3.That you must purchase a Cisco Operating system Software feature set upgrade license if the feature set you intend to download is not included in your initial license;
    4.That you have a current and valid service contract that covers either the specific Cisco hardware chassis or device for which you are downloading software and/or the software image or subscription file update (e.g., for Intrusion Detection System) that you are downloading;
    5.That Cisco reserves the right to: (a) charge you for, and you agree to pay for, software /signature file downloads to which you are not entitled, and (b) immediately suspend or terminate your access to this web site if you download software to which you are not so entitled.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar

Certifications
    I don't know if I will ever be able to read Cisco IOS images. It seems so cryptic!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    The download instructions in this post still mostly work:
    IOS for 2924xl

After the switches/ios software selection, you now get the access/distribution/core switch options. The CCNA switches should be under Access Switches and should still let you download with guest level CCO account.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Thanks for the advice! Upgraded IOS version no problem.
    I did not realize that cryptographic software was THIS big of a deal. To download I had to use radio buttons stating what kind of individual I am. After reloading I could not help but notice the extensive legal messages while booting.... pretty insane... guess Cisco REALLY does not want to held liable for a network admin loading the wrong IOS in the wrong country.

I followed these instructions
    How do I upgrade an IOS tar file on a 2950 Catalyst switch? Cisco Forum FAQ - dslreports.com

After clicking around on Cisco's site, I found this menu helpful about my .0/.1/.2/.3/.4 question: Cisco IOS and NX-OS Software Introduction - Cisco Systems
    Clicking on the 'Mainline' release gives a good basic intro to what that revision does.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    You can find a bunch of useful information (PDFs) on the Cisco Partner Central Portable Product Sheets web page.
    They've got PDFs for Router Memory, Router Performance, Switch Performance, Modules Cross Reference, etc -- and an IOS Packaging PDF.

The shortcut to the Cisco Feature Navigator is also good to know.
    Code:
    www.cisco.com/go/fn
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I did not realize that cryptographic software was THIS big of a deal. To download I had to use radio buttons stating what kind of individual I am.
    You must not be in the US, eh?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

About not being an American -- Correctomondo.

Just wondering if I am expected to know how to use Binary to solve subnetting problems? I like the current method I am using to solve. But will the exams tell me to solve via binary in certain instances only? Or will other more advanced courses like CCNP require only binary to solve? I'd rather not spend 8 hours reviewing a chapter doing the same thing if I don't have to.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar

Certifications
    About not being an American -- Correctomondo.

Just wondering if I am expected to know how to use Binary to solve subnetting problems? I like the current method I am using to solve. But will the exams tell me to solve via binary in certain instances only? Or will other more advanced courses like CCNP require only binary to solve? I'd rather not spend 8 hours reviewing a chapter doing the same thing if I don't have to.

Well what exactly is your method now? As long as you know how to subnet it doesn't matter what methods you use....

Understanding binary and subnetting are kinda the same thing....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    There isn't any spot to show your work -- and I doubt they scan in your scratch paper and submit then to Cisco with your exam -- so use what ever method you're comfortable with to select the correct answers (or apply the correct address/mask).
    Last edited by mikej412; 04-11-2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: you're -- not your
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Thanks for the responses!

I'm wondering what would be best to be done after CCNA. I'm about 3 weeks away from being fully prepared for the ICND 1 exam.

I have been using XP for the last decade or so. I never gave Vista a shot because of its reputation. Now that Windows 7 is out, I know nothing about it concretely. So... I was thinking I'd do a Windows 7 exam to learn what I don't already know. Hope the books are not too dumbed down.

That one should be a breeze. But after that, should I be working towards CCNP or MCSE2008? Both will take me ~ 10 months atleast to complete. What would your motivations & pros/cons of doing the one vs the other. I'm almost thinking it would be best to do the MCSE to be well versed and I could always pickup the CCNP after.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Anyone know of a 2 ^ x game where I can practice the powers of 2. Something that asks me random numbers and converting the answer back to exponent value. I hope to find something like this so I can play it so much I become messed up from playing it so much. Ought to help my thinking time on exponents. Much appreciated if someone can throw me a good link!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar

Certifications
    Anyone know of a 2 ^ x game where I can practice the powers of 2. Something that asks me random numbers and converting the answer back to exponent value. I hope to find something like this so I can play it so much I become messed up from playing it so much. Ought to help my thinking time on exponents. Much appreciated if someone can throw me a good link!
    Do you have Wendell Odoms books? It comes with a subnet game.

If not, I think you can download that game off Cisco's site....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks