+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last
    thanks, i'll look through the cd tonight!

wow. watch this tool! imagine hiring this guy and working with him :$ hope he ain't on this forum lol i like the ending where his blibber blabber just gets cut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDQT4...eature=related

hahahaha wow! he's cracked out. and telling you what you NEED to buy... if you look closely after a while you may realize that his desk table is covered with a towel!! somehow this is just as amusing as southpark.:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JJAC...eature=related

i did however find this one video somewhat inspirational:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKYb7...eature=related
    Last edited by Stuppored; 04-14-2010 at 04:57 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
    Nearly 2am now... I found that my 3640 Router can potentially handle IOS v 12.4.... however all I could get my paws on was a 12.2 version. I am going to assume that all the currently UNAVAILABLE features are available in the 12.4 version?

Does anyone else here have a 3640 router?

Reply With Quote Quote  

I was able to upgrade to 12.4. But only after throwing on an image that failed... forcing me to use xmodem to transfer. It took 4 hours to download.
    I tried googling a photo of the PCMCIA card designed for the 3640. I could not find one. Anyone with a link to a photo of what one looks like? (not sure if it is a proprietary card)

I asked my employer if it was alright to bring in my home lab as it's a bit ridiculous to bring a switch into a library not to mention most of a lab - too tired after work and long drive to do lab exercises at midnight at home.. First attempt of getting an approval for after work lab use was rejected a few weeks ago. Second attempt was approved... but now I have a gun to my head that says the exam cost is covered as well as I am allowed to practice lab work at the office after hours only which is a good 2.5 hours a day during the week. Then a goal of exam deadline was drawn up as well I have to go for the ICND 1 Exam by May 15th.

As for booking an exam:
    I called up one of the exam centers a week ago. The lady on the phone was completely clueless about everything. Do I book with them directly over the phone? Or do I go through VUE's website and schedule there? I was afraid to ask the testing center a question as they could have easily misdirected me with misinformation due to being confused themselves. Can the exam be written on a Saturday?
    Last edited by Stuppored; 04-18-2010 at 02:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. was here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuppored View Post
    I am going to assume that all the currently UNAVAILABLE features are available in the 12.4 version?
    Depends on version of IOS, what feature set you have for that IOS version and whether it is even supported on your particular router.

According to FN, NAC is supported. IPS is only supported on a 3660 but it'd run like molasses so I wouldn't bother. Firewall will be and so will VPN.

I tried googling a photo of the PCMCIA card designed for the 3640. I could not find one. Anyone with a link to a photo of what one looks like? (not sure if it is a proprietary card)
    It is a regular PCMCIA ATA flash card so don't buy a linear flash card. You'll probably have issues finding one of these now but you should be able to buy a small CF card (128MB or less) and a PCMCIA CF adapter for it.

I called up one of the exam centers a week ago. The lady on the phone was completely clueless about everything. Do I book with them directly over the phone? Or do I go through VUE's website and schedule there?
    I booked via the Pearson VUE site.

Can the exam be written on a Saturday?
    Depends on the test center you choose.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Wondering if anyone has used the book below for studying hands on labs? Any good?

Amazon.com: 101 Labs for the Cisco CCNA Exam (9780955781520): Paul W Browning, Farai Tafa, Stuart Juggins: Books

101 Labs for the Cisco CCNA Exam (Paperback)

~ Paul W Browning (Author), Farai Tafa (Author), Stuart Juggins (Author)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    Wondering if anyone has used the book below for studying hands on labs? Any good?
    CCIE Approved?

Oh -- we've been spammed by the site listed on the cover. So far I've only been convinced they're good at self-promotion.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I bought that book online. I'll report the quality of it after I pass ICND 2.

I'm working with hands on now. Going through CBT Nuggets and the books that I have to practice, understand and pound away experience. Whenever I get stumped on a command, I come soo close to asking it on this forum, but I hold back and search harder on google. For most commands, I find the most detail on Cisco's website. It helps to elaborate on the simple pre-explored commands I type in from the books and videos.

I am working towards working with my routers. I'm sure I can find small labs here and there in the videos and books. Wondering if anyone can link me a good website that they have used for practicing the ICND 1 only with routers/switches that I could use for extra handson practice. The book that I ordered says that it will arrive between may 17 - june 20.... after my ICND1 exam... but it ought to help me through ICND2 if it's any good.

Can anyone who has recently passed the ICND 1 exam tell me how many hours they have studied for it overall? I'm putting so much time into it, I think it's crazy insane. This has already completely wiped out old hobbies.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. DPG
    Can anyone who has recently passed the ICND 1 exam tell me how many hours they have studied for it overall? I'm putting so much time into it, I think it's crazy insane. This has already completely wiped out old hobbies.
    I think I studied for about 24 hours total for my ICND1 and felt like I over-studied for it. I did learn some new things, though.

I have only studied for about 15 hours so far for the ICND2 and my exam is this weekend.

i have spent the most time scoping eBay for routers and switches for my lab.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Is VLSM part of the ICND 1 exam? The Odom book says it is not, I just don't want to make a terrible mistake and not attempt to review it until ICND 2.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I have finished reading Odom's book.

Now I am going through cisco.com/go/prepcenter. It's pretty informative.
    After devouring that site, I plan to study subnetting for 20 hours next week.
    Lab demos/troubleshooting on weekends. On the last 20 hours before the exam --> run through boson..etc skill testing programs. I ought to be well prepared for this ICND 1 exam after all this.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA Sec, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CISSP
    Is VLSM part of the ICND 1 exam? The Odom book says it is not, I just don't want to make a terrible mistake and not attempt to review it until ICND 2.
    Here is the ICND1 topics straight from the horse's mouth. It requires a login, but registration is free.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

If I am able to solve questions on subnettingquestions.com in under 30 seconds with minimal paperwork, am I prepared enough?
    Questions like: You are designing a subnet mask for the 172.23.0.0 network. You want 80 subnets with up to 400 hosts on each subnet. What subnet mask should you use? take me about a minute to solve soley because I do not have 2^x memorized and I throw down some writing.

I've gone through atleast 100+ questions tonight alone. Who thinks I have it down quick enough?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+; Network+; Security+; Project+; CCNP
    If I am able to solve questions on subnettingquestions.com in under 30 seconds with minimal paperwork, am I prepared enough?
    Questions like: You are designing a subnet mask for the 172.23.0.0 network. You want 80 subnets with up to 400 hosts on each subnet. What subnet mask should you use? take me about a minute to solve soley because I do not have 2^x memorized and I throw down some writing.

I've gone through atleast 100+ questions tonight alone. Who thinks I have it down quick enough?
    Sounds good to me as long as you are not using a calculator. What I do is make a quick 2^n reference table and use it for all questions, even at the exam. Also I do about 10 questions a night, for about 10 nights leading up to the exam to try and stay sharp. Whatever works bestfor you is best.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgomper View Post
    Sounds good to me as long as you are not using a calculator. What I do is make a quick 2^n reference table and use it for all questions, even at the exam. Also I do about 10 questions a night, for about 10 nights leading up to the exam to try and stay sharp. Whatever works bestfor you is best.
    No calculator... using 2^6 as reference for solving the higher numbers... but still I'm finding writing down on paper slow.... but i've already memorized 2^9 = 512 & 2^12 = 4096.....so it's coming along quick even though I'm not focusing on memorizing 2^x yet. thanks for the solid advice!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+; Network+; Security+; Project+; CCNP
    during the exam I still write out the table even though I can do it in my head. I am just prone to a few more mistakes than I like if I don't use the table.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Man of the People
    I heard it's very popular to use the 15 minutes before you take the exam to write on a scratch table a subnetting table/guide, that's what I heard most people do, it helps them tremendously with those subnetting questions, everything else, you should either know or you don't know.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Pfft. I have a DTE to DCE cable that has gone bad. Attempting to get a hold of my dealer is a pain... does not respond in timely fashion, does not know Cisco product line.. so every communication is relayed to someone else and then back to them and then to me. How hard is it to become a Cisco product dealer? It sounds like I could do a good job of it with what I know already.

I also tried another Cisco product seller and they had NO clue about the product line. Spending time on the phone as a customer explaining what you need but really wasting more time explaining the basics of what the cable is used for etc etc really irritates me.

Any online dealers that communicate and ship product immediately with no hassle? Someone please throw some recommendations! At the same time I don't want to wait 4 weeks for delivery because of shipping times.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. was here.
    DTE to DCE cables are only used in labs and I don't believe Cisco actually make one themselves so it isn't too surprising that a Cisco reseller doesn't have any. Go look at monoprice for cables.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Awesome site and good prices too. I just found out the dealer was ignoring phone calls and strictly doing E-mail. Leaves plenty room for confusion. I already agreed to $30 / cable... so I'm going through with it this time. Next time I'll use that referral. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA Security, CCDA, Project+, Linux+
    Quote Originally Posted by DPG View Post
    I think I studied for about 24 hours total for my ICND1 and felt like I over-studied for it. I did learn some new things, though.

I have only studied for about 15 hours so far for the ICND2 and my exam is this weekend.

i have spent the most time scoping eBay for routers and switches for my lab.
    Wait a second. How in the world did you manage that? I'm only about 1/2way through Odom's book for ICND1, and I've watched the CBTNuggets video, and I expect I'll have to do a 2nd pass of both with note-taking for things that I didn't 'pick up' between the 2 passes for extra study!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I have a question about my lab setup. I have 3 routers. One has 2 serial interfaces that connects each router. I do not have Ethernet IPs setup on any of them. I am able to ping from the far one through the middle one to the other far one. I am confused as to why my ip route table does not show any R (rip) activity even though I enabled it. Great that I can ping all the way through, bu can someone please clarify what I am missing. Here's sample output from a router on the end:

CS3600#sh ip route
    Codes: C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
    D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
    N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
    E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2
    i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2
    ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user static route
    o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route
    Gateway of last resort is 0.0.0.0 to network 0.0.0.0
    C 192.168.30.0/24 is directly connected, Serial3/0
    192.168.40.0/32 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    C 192.168.40.1 is directly connected, Serial3/0
    S* 0.0.0.0/0 is directly connected, Serial3/0
    CS3600#ping 192.168.10.1
    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.10.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 56/57/60 ms

Here is the middle router:

2600dual#sh ip route
    Codes: C - connected, S - static, I - IGRP, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
    D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
    N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
    E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2, E - EGP
    i - IS-IS, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2, ia - IS-IS inter area
    * - candidate default, U - per-user static route, o - ODR
    P - periodic downloaded static route
    Gateway of last resort is not set
    192.168.30.0/32 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    C 192.168.30.1 is directly connected, Serial0/1
    192.168.10.0/32 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    C 192.168.10.1 is directly connected, Serial0/0
    C 192.168.40.0/24 is directly connected, Serial0/1
    C 192.168.20.0/24 is directly connected, Serial0/0
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Member

Certifications
    MCSA-2003, NET+, A+, MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator on Exchange 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tiersten View Post
    DTE to DCE cables are only used in labs and I don't believe Cisco actually make one themselves so it isn't too surprising that a Cisco reseller doesn't have any. Go look at monoprice for cables.
    +1 for monoprice, they have awesome service and good prices. Have ordered lots through them.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA Sec, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CISSP
    I am confused as to why my ip route table does not show any R (rip) activity even though I enabled it. Great that I can ping all the way through, bu can someone please clarify what I am missing.
    Do you have all the networks put into the RIP process? Are all 3 routers running the same version of RIP? The quick way to see the answer to both is to do a "show ip protocols" on each router and see which networks that it is including in its advertisements.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I forced RIP version 2. I'll look back at this after going through Boson's tests... which...

by the way... ARE scary. They expect precision when answering the questions. There was one question with the word OUT thrown into it (which I did not see) and I answered incorrectly because of it. It's good practice noticing dumb mistakes...even through it's damn gruelling. I hope to have gone through these practice tests multiple times this weekend.

Need this question answered: If I have check boxes and I get a bunch of the correct selections but 1 single incorrect selection in this one answer, does my score say I got a 0 on that question... or are they graded in part marks on the ICND 1 exam?

Next question I am wondering. What is the market looking for after CCNA? Is the market looking at VOICE, SECURITY or that CCNP? I'm assuming CCNP... I'd like to have the Voice just cause it looks good to have- but how many/how big/how long are the books to study for it?

I worked at a Major company at one point that was deploying Cisco's VOIP phones... they had some crazy things like Bladeservers that featured in-line power that would go out to the phones... I think the phones were running at $300-500 a piece... so I am a bit afraid of the cost associated with putting together a home lab.

So if the courseware is not too long, I'd like that background and CCNP... still going on the assumption that CCNP is the mainstream that people go to after CCNA.

Project2501 sent me a PM with a link: (regarding another thread)
    http://www.networking-forum.com/practicesubnetting.php

but this one is still only showing the basics. I was looking for one that does something like: this compnay has this many users... what subnet mask will support x number of users and subnets... I'd like a link to a site that questions only that so I can put my exponents to the test.... anyone?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Just watched the CBT nuggets intro and it answered my path after CCNA... preferrably CCNP then Voice.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks