+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CCNA Vs MCSA

1. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+ certification 2009, Network+ certification 2009, CCENT

Default CCNA Vs MCSA

Hi friend!! I need some input from u all guys recently i completed my network + exam now i am looking for further certification currently i am working as network technician in the company.

I just want to know whether i should go for ccna certification or mcsa certification which course will have more scope basically salary wise, knowledge wise and even with job requirement in IT industry.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. Login/register to remove this advertisement.
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE:2003 / CCNA/A+

Default MCSA & CCNA are totally different disiplines

A microsoft certification is for microsoft products such as servers, workstations and microsoft Active Directory.

Cisco certifications is about computer networking, routing switching & voice.

They are not the same by a long shot.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:Voice, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA, CCENT, Security +, Network +, A+,CIW
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollycork View Post
    A microsoft certification is for microsoft products such as servers, workstations and microsoft Active Directory.

Cisco certifications is about computer networking, routing switching & voice.

They are not the same by a long shot.
    Yup, totally different areas of work.

Also most of us cisco people will tell you cisco is the way to go. I don't have a single microsoft certification and am now a Network Administrator for an international company, learning as much as I can as fast as I can.

So if you want to be networking, pick a network route like CCNA or Juniper. If you want to be a systems admin, I'd go Microsoft/linux.

EDIT:

If you are talking money, I don't think you will get much from these forums. We mostly pick our fields based on passion, not greed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    Quote Originally Posted by chmorin View Post
    We mostly pick our fields based on passion, not greed.
    We don't?!? Man, nobody sends me these memos anymore.

-------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.com - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

Where I Hang Out These Days
    Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:Voice, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA, CCENT, Security +, Network +, A+,CIW
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
    We don't?!? Man, nobody sends me these memos anymore.
    I find that most of the people are on here commenting helping and getting helped because of a personal addiction to the subject mannor, not the prize at the end of the tunnel.

I can't say we all don't aim to make buckets of money though. Who doesn't?

That being said systems admins and network admins are pretty close in the price range, from what I can tell. You can branch out or specialize in both and make those buckets I mentioned earlier.

So... pick your poison!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, GXPN, OSCP, OSWP, C|EH, C|NDA, CPT, Security+, Network+, A+
    I find that most of the people are on here commenting helping and getting helped because of a personal addiction to the subject mannor, not the prize at the end of the tunnel.
    +1. The money is nice though but in the end, whether we admit it or not, we're in IT because we have some underlying true love of IT; otherwise we'd be doing something else.

In terms of comparison, as what was said above, the MCSA and CCNA are in two different leagues. I think you could compare the MCSE/MCITP track to the CCNA in terms of relative proficiency in each certifications specialties but the end result of comparing them is "apples and oranges".
    Last edited by rogue2shadow; 09-07-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA Sec, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012
    I can't say we all don't aim to make buckets of money though. Who doesn't?
    Well, if you're after a buttload of cash, you should probably consider business and aspire to be a CEO.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Why not both?

After CCNA and Security plus, I'm MCSE bound!
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCA-DCV | CCA: XenDesktop 5, XenServer 6
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications

Default MCSE and CCNA

I found that IT department managers that are actually the decision people to hire someone would rather have the CCNA/CCNP than a MCSE.

They figure networking/routing/switching is more important than doing Active Directory/Exchange/Database/Sharepoint stuff. Most of the Microsoft stuff is considered specialty areas.

But the biggest issue is that many businesses are now going to service providers [cloud proviers] for most of the Active Directory/Email/Database/Sharepoints stuff that they use to hire people to do, MCSE doesn't really give you much for jobs with the cloud providers. They want network guys who have experience with VMWare, Email servers/sharepoint servers/databases servers, not certs in them.

Cisco stuff is the only way to go....
    Last edited by Jollycork; 09-07-2010 at 08:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I found that IT department managers that are actually the decision people to hire someone would rather have the CCNA/CCNP than a MCSE.
    So your department heads would rather hire a CCNP to run their Exchange server than an MCSE:M?

I'm all for Cisco, don't get me wrong. I plan on working on the CCNP after my MCSE. But I think it really just depends on the job you're applying for. To say that hiring managers in general just prefer a CCNP to MCSE sounds a little odd.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCA-DCV | CCA: XenDesktop 5, XenServer 6
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications

Default I've got a MCSE

but they didn't hire me for that, they hired me because I had a CCNA.

and after I got hired, they asked "know anything about Active Directory & Exchange?" my reply was " Yep but I'm not certified" to wit the mgr said " ok go get certified". So I got a MCSE with Messaging.

My boss said he'd rather have someone with strong networking skills that later on, can get Microsoft skills. He's had to many Microsoft guys he's hired who didn't have any networking skills [switching and routing] and when asked to setup a managed network, [vlans, port security, routing, access lists] they couldn't do it. What good is a network admin that can't admin the network, rather only admin Microsoft servers?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member
    **** that, I am all about a dollar like 4 quarters. Seriously I am about getting my paper so I can retire before I turn 50...

As far as the OP, I'd say you can go for both if you want and then decide on what you want to specialize in.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    That being said systems admins and network admins are pretty close in the price range, from what I can tell. You can branch out or specialize in both and make those buckets I mentioned earlier.

So... pick your poison!
    I also +1 as well as his other statement about the passion and not greed!

I don't have a serious Cisco background. I understand networking in a sense that's a bit deeper than what's covered in Network+ but nowhere near as technical as a CCNA (though I can tell if he dumped that or not...the technical ability with Cisco is something you just can't fake.)

I respect the network team and those who work with networks. I'm a systems/server guy through and through though. CCIEs make six figure salaries, on average! I read those CCIE blogs here and if I ever had delusions that I could "study" for the CCIE so that I too can make a six-figure salary, you would be right to say I was smoking something funny. I know we're talking about CCNA vs MCSA, but my point is that one should do something not solely because he's competent, but because he enjoys the work. Some folks are comfortable with just the routers (CCNA), and others are more comfortable with the servers/systems side of things (MCXX(X)). It's all about what you enjoy. I am sure I could pick up CCNA like a fish to water, but I personally would rather stick with servers. And vice-versa, I would imagine.

Let me just say too that Cisco definitely does a wonderful job in testing folks. Yeah, you can probably dump a CCNA, but a CCNP/CCIE....it's not happening. That's why I can respect those guys who earned them and show competence in what they do. I wish Microsoft did a better job of doing that...but I still will study for it as I've studied for everything else in life.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    What good is a network admin that can't admin the network, rather only admin Microsoft servers?
    Those aren't network admins; those are are server admins. If the shop is that small, you would have to do both. But if you're in a large enough shop, those duties can (and usually are) segmented.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks