+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ & Network+ MCIPT, CCNA, Mech Eng-BS
    Here is a shot of some serious 'Mickey Mouse' type stuff:

This is my workstation accessing the Home Server via the web interface, to access the Win XP Pro box in the rack, to access the Lantronix SCS1620 via PuTTY, to access the Cisco 2611XM. Wow, I kinda wanted to see if I could do this. Note this is NOT very GREEN way to access your Cisco equipment!

Last edited by ZeroHunter; 10-25-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCENT
    Looks like it's time to check out Windows Home server. I see your point about it not being very green though. It's worth checking out. Thanks for all the help.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcall64 View Post
    That would be neat if the listening port could be changed. That would solve my problem. Let me know if you are able to change it and I just might get one. Thanks!
    Depending on what you're using for a border router, you may be able to just redirect the port you're calling on after the NAT (assuming NAT is in use)

For example, when I ssh into my home servers, I ssh to a high number port (ex, 44321), but I have the border router redirect all calls to port 44321 from the outside to port 22 of a given IP on the inside.

Edit: If you're using IOS, this is simple to do -

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.92.3 22 interface FastEthernet0/1 44321

So in this case, any incoming connections on port 44321 on the Fa0/1 interface will be redirected to port 22 on 192.168.92.3
    Last edited by Forsaken_GA; 10-25-2010 at 11:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by bcall64 View Post
    Looks like it's time to check out Windows Home server. I see your point about it not being very green though. It's worth checking out. Thanks for all the help.

I think you can DownLoad Windows Home Server from Microsofts site for free 30 day trial if I remember correctly, and being that you want to run it to access other machines on your network you could run a virtual machine, or some older hardware that you have around.

As to its green'ness it can be done much more 'green' but just for proof of concept, I was sitting in the same room as the Cisco equipment at my workstation and had 5 machines powered up to connect to one that was 12 feet away.

Workstation to Internet
    Internet to WHS
    WHS to XP Pro Box
    XP Pro Box to SCS1620
    SCS1620 to Cisco 2611XM Router

Now if I was really doing it from outside I would not need the XP Pro Box, as I needed something to come back into the network to from the outside(for the Proof of Concept). And of course, once I am at home I only need Workstation to SCS1620 via Intranet, and from that I can access the whole Cisco Lab Rack.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA DC, VCP5, Security+, IPv6 "Sage"
    Gah, Windoze!

Just SSH to the SCS1620. You shouldn't need windows for any of this - I have a small Wyse Thin Client I use as a linux SSH server and I use that to get to EVERYTHING.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Mierdin View Post
    Gah, Windoze!

Just SSH to the SCS1620. You shouldn't need windows for any of this - I have a small Wyse Thin Client I use as a linux SSH server and I use that to get to EVERYTHING.
    So you are SSH'ing in via your network connection and not the Console Ports? I have not done this yet, do you have the same control? My laptop does have Kubuntu on it in a dual boot configuration w/ win7.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA DC, VCP5, Security+, IPv6 "Sage"
    So you are SSH'ing in via your network connection and not the Console Ports?
    Yup...with the SCS1620 or any other console server (I use the Avocent Cyclades 16-port) the idea is to provide centralized management of your rack gear. All I have to do is SSH to my domain name then its one more step from there to get to the gear I want that's connected via console.

I have not done this yet, do you have the same control? My laptop does have Kubuntu on it in a dual boot configuration w/ win7
    You can do everything I just said via puTTY, or your SSH client of choice so your laptop's OS is irrelevant.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications

Default Update

Well as stated before I was still working on getting the SCS1620 Console Server to talk with the Cisco Equipment, well I got it done today, it was a cabling problem that one of the techs from Lantronix (Thanx to Gary there) helped with, which was way cool, as this unit is LONG out of warranty.

The unit will require some custom cable making, but that was easy to make once I had the correct pin-outs, which are as follows for anyone that gets one of these units:

Cisco RJ45 _________SCS1620 RJ45 (configured as a DTE)
    3 TxD (out). . . . . . . . 2 Rx (In)
    4 Gnd . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 GnD (wires from both 4 and 5 on the Cisco both
    5 Gnd . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 GnD connected to pin 5 on the SCS1620)
    6 RxD (in) . . . . . . . . . 3 Tx (out)

I would also like to thank one of our members ShoDown for his attempt at helping me figure this out!

Next step is just waiting for the Cat 5 roll of wire and the boots that I order to show-up for final wiring. Pictures to follow.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications

Default A pretty neat Photo

Here is a photo of the Console Server completely up and running, with the Cisco equipment in my Lab-Rack each assigned thier own IP address to PuTTY/Telnet to:

Sorry the photo is a little wide, took the screen capture on a dual monitor workstation. but this is just damn cool to be able to sit at my workstation and control/configure the lab rack.

Next I am going to remove the old Console Port Plate that had machined and replace it with a new one that will only have one Console Port and one Terminal/Console Port for the Lantronix SCS16020 Console Server, and all the Ethernet Ports for the routers up front, that way the only reason to go to the back of the unit will be to move the SMART SERIAL cables around.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member
    What 1U power supply did you use?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. was here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHunter View Post
    Here is a photo of the Console Server completely up and running, with the Cisco equipment in my Lab-Rack each assigned thier own IP address to PuTTY/Telnet to:
    Tabs :P

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHunter View Post
    all the Ethernet Ports for the routers up front, that way the only reason to go to the back of the unit will be to move the SMART SERIAL cables around.
    Wouldn't it be easier to just turn the routers around? All of your routers have all the connections at back anyway. This way you can access all the ethernet ports, Smart Serial and whatever other interfaces you've got directly.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by richandy View Post
    What 1U power supply did you use?

I used a 1U power supply out of an old Dell Poweredge 350 Server, but there are better and smaller units, this is just what I had around.

It had a standard ATX connector on it, which I removed, you only need the Ground, +3.3V and +5V.

You could use something like this:

YCL NAD-20 3.3V 3A, 5V 0.5A 1U OPEN FRAME POWER SUPPLY on eBay (end time 09-Dec-10 19:04:39 GMT)

or one like this which is more like what I used only I took the case off it.

EMACS MPW-6150F 150WATT 1U POWER SUPPLY on eBay (end time 13-Nov-10 15:12:01 GMT)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiersten View Post
    Tabs :P
    I actually work alot like he does, I prefer windows to tabs, I like to be able to see immediately when changes made on one side have an impact on the other, and switching between tabs just pisses me off hehe
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I am now a proud owner of an SCS1620, thanks to your post!

It arrived today unable to boot, but a quick flash and its running like a champ. Now to figure out how to get this thing secured (running SSLv2, and allowing SSHv1.. ssh is an easy fix)!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoji View Post
    I am now a proud owner of an SCS1620, thanks to your post!

It arrived today unable to boot, but a quick flash and its running like a champ. Now to figure out how to get this thing secured (running SSLv2, and allowing SSHv1.. ssh is an easy fix)!!

Congrats! And I am glad that I could help.

Please post what you have done and how you did it, for myself and others.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mierdin View Post
    My solution in this scenario is usually to use SSH/puTTY to tunnel from some internet location to a server at my house, then administer my equipment from there -
    I was considering that, but the only downside I can think of is that the VTY will have to be setup each time, and If I keep zeroing everything out doing different labs and trying different things I will ultimately still have to use a yost cable to console back in because with a zeroed out config I sure do not think I will be able to telnet into it.

Am I wrong? Is there a work around?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    CC(NA-IP-NP), JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-ENT, BCNE
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedSwitch View Post
    I was considering that, but the only downside I can think of is that the VTY will have to be setup each time, and If I keep zeroing everything out doing different labs and trying different things I will ultimately still have to use a yost cable to console back in because with a zeroed out config I sure do not think I will be able to telnet into it.

Am I wrong? Is there a work around?
    This is the point in having a console server, you connect to the console server, not the actual routers/switches, so then you can console in to any of the devices from a remote location.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stuh84 View Post
    then you can console in to any of the devices from a remote location.
    I Thought so. I may have to pick one of these off ebay.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. was here.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedSwitch View Post
    I will ultimately still have to use a yost cable to console back in
    A Cisco console cable and a cable wired to the Yost standard aren't the same. Cisco wired their version slightly differently with the DSR and DTR line instead. That said, Cisco generally doesn't use the handshaking lines at all on the console port so its not normally an issue if you're just using that port. If you're using the aux port for attaching a modem as that does use the handshaking lines and has more than the console port then it may matter depending on your configuration.
    Last edited by tiersten; 11-21-2010 at 05:28 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A.A.S Computer Technology, CCNA, CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
    Hey guys, Is one of these console servers considered a must have or a life saver? I am building a small lab for CCNA which will sit right next to my desktop/laptop.

I am trying to keep things $simple$ with my lab, but I figure with some configurations I will have to make will require me to console into multiple items.

I was thinking that if push came to shove I could buy 2 serial port cards which have 2 serial ports each. That will be cheaper than buying one of these Console servers(Not as cool, but cheaper). The cheapest one I saw on e-bay was like the OP`s not powering on. The rest were out of my willing price range. I can get a couple serial cards for 30 bucks, and turn my desktop into a console server.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. was here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sthompson86 View Post
    Hey guys, Is one of these console servers considered a must have or a life saver? I am building a small lab for CCNA which will sit right next to my desktop/laptop.
    It is just easier to use. Nothing stopping you from moving your single console cable between devices.

Quote Originally Posted by sthompson86 View Post
    I was thinking that if push came to shove I could buy 2 serial port cards which have 2 serial ports each.
    The other budget option which will allow more expansion is to just buy a number of USB serial adapters. If you can get 4 serial ports for $30 on two cards however then that appears to be cheaper unless you can get a really good deal on the USB serial adapters. The serial cards have less opportunity for expansion however since you'll be limited by number of slots.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A.A.S Computer Technology, CCNA, CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by tiersten View Post

The other budget option which will allow more expansion is to just buy a number of USB serial adapters.
    Thanks for reminding me of those things, I just bought 5 off e-Bay for 18 bucks shipped. I have an old PC that I will Frankenstein together as my console server then I will remote desktop into it or use Putty etc.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Smile Ssh-to-ip

I was really unhappy to find that there was only a tool to setup telnet-to-ip/port and no ssh (unless I'm totally blind). So I hacked together a work around. Once implemented you can ssh to the IP and be dropped in to the switch/router term.
    SSHD: port 22
    User: Cisco

Step 1:
    Create a user that will only be used for accessing devices (Cisco in this example).

Step 2:
    As sysadmin run telnetconfig and setup the port for telnet as normal using an IP that ends with the device port number (10.0.0.15) *we are only doing this so it can take care of creating the interface and IP for us*.

Step 3:
    type "bash" to enter the bash shell, then "su root" password "root".

Step 4:
    You are going to now edit the line in "/etc/profile" to look like this:
    Code:
    LCI_FORCE_CI=false
    Step 5:
    Navigate to your users home folder (cd /home/Cisco) and edit the file ".bash_profile".
    Code:
    This is what the bottom section of mine looks like:

#now start the LCI Shell
    #/lci/bin/ci ; logout

#ssh-to-IP
    SPORT=`echo $SSH_CLIENT | awk '{print $2}'` 
    DEVPORT=`netstat -te | grep $SPORT | cut -c 28-29`

/usr/local/bin/direct --quiet $DEVPORT
    *Pay close attention to the "cut" command, as it will change depending on how many numbers are in the IP you use. Example, 10.0.0.115 = cut -c 29-30*

reboot and you should be set to go. You will need to make sure to kill the connection to the device with "ESC A" be for closing the window or you will be dropped to a bash shell on reconnect as there is a connection to that device still open.

******Update*******
    To make things more secure and not have it drop to bash on error, use this instead in /etc/profile :
    Code:
    /usr/local/bin/direct --quiet $DEVPORT || /lci/bin/ci ; logout
    Last edited by kyoji; 11-21-2010 at 08:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoji View Post
    I was really unhappy to find that there was only a tool to setup telnet-to-ip/port and no ssh (unless I'm totally blind). So I hacked together a work around. Once implemented you can ssh to the IP and be dropped in to the switch/router term.
    -Snip-

[/code]
    Now that is pretty cool, I dont need to use this yet but its damn cool that you can! I am so glad that other (with more knowledge then me) have got this same unit.

As a question how many of us bought one of these now?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I surely can't be the only one? For only $34 with shipping on ebay, how can you not pick one up?

As none of my comps have DB-9 connectors. It was going to cost around $14 on amazon for a good converter to manage one unit at a time, why not put in a little extra and manage 16 at a time!!

Big thanks to ZeroHunter for the pinouts.. Man that would of been a pain trying to solve that one.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks