+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ & Network+ MCIPT, CCNA, Mech Eng-BS
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoji View Post

Big thanks to ZeroHunter for the pinouts.. Man that would of been a pain trying to solve that one.
    It was! It took about a week of back and forth email to the Lantronix tech support guy, that was why I posted the Pin-Outs. I did not want anyone else to have to deal with that one.

I agree with you, for the cost, how can you go wrong, I personally had built a Serial Port Output Board (see original post) and $3.oo USB to Serial adapters off eBay (outta China), but this is so much nicer and way WAY cooler the USB cable.

I now have 5 Static IPs in my house so I am thinking about putting the SCS1620 on the web, but I am changing a few pieces of hardware around once that is all done I will post new pics and look to putting it all on the web.

Nice thing there is multiple people are supposed to be able to log in at once so getting help with something should be easy as giving someone a log-in name/pass.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. was here.
    I surely can't be the only one? For only $34 with shipping on ebay, how can you not pick one up?
    Not over here! They're expensive! Boo...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHunter View Post
    Nice thing there is multiple people are supposed to be able to log in at once so getting help with something should be easy as giving someone a log-in name/pass.
    Very good point, never crossed my mind. Although, only one person is able to interact with the device. All other users can watch using the "listen [port]" command.

My next goal is to try and get a package manager working. The only thing I can find on it, is a broken rpm install. Some one mentioned it was based off Debian. Now if we can get aptitude working we would be golden!

Quote Originally Posted by tiersten View Post
    Not over here! They're expensive! Boo...
    Thats a bummer. =(
    Last edited by kyoji; 11-21-2010 at 11:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Thumbs up HP pinout.

Here is the pinout for HP 2500-2600 (DB-9 on switch).

8P8C/DB9 -HP | DB9/8P8C -SCS1620 (DTE)
    (RTS) 1---------- 8 (CTS)
    (TX debug)2----- 6 (DSR)
    (TXD) 3---------- 2 (RXD)
    (GND) 4---------- 5 (GND)
    (DCD) 5-----------1 (DCD)
    (RXD) 6-----------3 (TXD)
    (RX debug) 7-----4 (DTR)
    (CTS) 8----------- 7 (RTS)

I took a DB9 to RJ45 rollover cable, cut the RJ45 end off and repinned it as above attached that end to the SCS1620 and the DB9 to the HP switch. Works fine so far.

*source : DIY – HP ProCurve console cable | RNTMNS
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Here is the pinout for HP 2500-2600 (DB-9 on switch).

8P8C/DB9 -HP | DB9/8P8C -SCS1620 (DTE)
    (RTS) 1---------- 8 (CTS)
    (TX debug)2----- 6 (DSR)
    (TXD) 3---------- 2 (RXD)
    (GND) 4---------- 5 (GND)
    (DCD) 5-----------1 (DCD)
    (RXD) 6-----------3 (TXD)
    (RX debug) 7-----4 (DTR)
    (CTS) 8----------- 7 (RTS)

I took a DB9 to RJ45 rollover cable, cut the RJ45 end off and repinned it as above attached that end to the SCS1620 and the DB9 to the HP switch. Works fine so far.
    So the HP ProCurve Switch has a DB-9 port not RJ-45?

I made a cable of the same sort DB-9 to RJ-45 to go to the Console port of the SCS1620 with a DB-9 to the Serial Port of the Ole' Crappy XP laptop I have or the USB-2-Serial when using my 'newer' laptop. I had to make another of that type for my Cobalt Web Server, for that one I used a Null-Modem Cable (DB-9 on both ends) cut it off at the length I wanted and put the RJ-45 on the end to go into the SCS1620.

Basically I did the same thing, I cut off one end of a RJ-45 Straight Through Cable and connected the pins appropriately to the DB-9 Female from 'The Shack'*

Did you build a Console cable for the SCS1620? Or did you just SSH into the 10/100 port?

Mine was kinda a mess, so I had to build the Console Cable so that I could see what was going on, when it boot, it had OLD firmware and a password I could not get out, so the Server got a re-flash.

*That's what they want you to call it now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. was here.
    So the HP ProCurve Switch has a DB-9 port not RJ-45?
    You can buy RJ45 <-> DB9 adapters for not much. Most of them come with the pins not actually in the DB9 shroud so you can configure it how you want. I've got a bag of the StarTech ones and they work fine. It means I don't need to have any special cables and just use a regular one.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by tiersten View Post
    You can buy RJ45 <-> DB9 adapters for not much. Most of them come with the pins not actually in the DB9 shroud so you can configure it how you want. I've got a bag of the StarTech ones and they work fine. It means I don't need to have any special cables and just use a regular one.
    These things are way cool. Can they only be configured one time?

@ZeroHunter

Yeah, I use telnet/SSH to access the SCS1620 after a fresh flash. So its the same pinout for the terminal port of the CS? I'd like to have one as a backup solution.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications

Yeah, I use telnet/SSH to access the SCS1620 after a fresh flash. So its the same pinout for the terminal port of the CS? I'd like to have one as a backup solution.

I can look it up, but the pin-ous are in the Appendix of the manual, that was how I built mine, as a note a CISCO console cable will NOT work.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. was here.
    Can they only be configured one time?
    They're supposed to be one time only but if you're careful you can pull the wire back out again.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member
    I brought one and ended up with two. One of the unit power supplies are totally shot, ZeroHunter's solution of using a 1U power supply is good. The other unit I received has one power supply working, but the CF card is shot. Anyone knows what kind of format is used? Anyone can send me a image copy of their CF card?
    With all of that going on, I purchased the DIGI CM32, Digi CM - Secure, Intelligent and Easy Console Management - Digi International for $100.00 shipped from eBay. This unit is great, you don't need any special cable pin outs for Cisco. You just use a regular RJ45.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by richandy View Post
    I brought one and ended up with two. One of the unit power supplies are totally shot, ZeroHunter's solution of using a 1U power supply is good. The other unit I received has one power supply working, but the CF card is shot. Anyone knows what kind of format is used? Anyone can send me a image copy of their CF card?

OK I finally got around to taking my SCS1620 Lantronix back out of the rack and loading the CF card into a linux machine so I could get some of this information:

I hope this helps, I will post it on my site about this also, I took some photos of the power supply I installed also, its not the prettiest but you will get the idea, give me a couple days to get the photos up.

If someone can walk me through making an image of the card I will gladly do that and host the image off my site, I just don't have the skill set for that YET!

Also will an image retain the formatting?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member
    Thanks for the info. I checked out your website. Great work. It gave me some insight on how to setup my lab rack.
    Keep up the great work.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA:Voice, CCNA, CCENT, Security+
    So i managed to score one of these new in box still amazingly for a low low price. I flashed the firmware since it wouldn't boot and got it up and running. However how do you actually connect to the console port. using direct, listen, and select all yield no results and i have made sure my cable is wired properly. I'm probably just doing something stupid however any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
    So i managed to score one of these new in box still amazingly for a low low price. I flashed the firmware since it wouldn't boot and got it up and running. However how do you actually connect to the console port. using direct, listen, and select all yield no results and i have made sure my cable is wired properly. I'm probably just doing something stupid however any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure what you are asking here, but look on my webpage

c0op3r.com under the Cisco tab and you will see the wiring diagram on how to make the cables to connect the unit to the Cisco equipment, if that's not the problem let me know and I will do my best to answer you questions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA Sec, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CISSP
    If someone can walk me through making an image of the card I will gladly do that and host the image off my site, I just don't have the skill set for that YET!

Also will an image retain the formatting?
    Based on your screenshot above, just open a shell type:

dd if=/dev/sdc of=MyImage.img

where /dev/sdc is the device file representing the card. This will make an exact bit for bit copy of the entire card and save in the current directory. Here's some light reading on the topic. If it complains about permissions, type sudo dd if=...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by alan2308 View Post
    Based on your screenshot above, just open a shell type:

dd if=/dev/sdc of=MyImage.img

where /dev/sdc is the device file representing the card. This will make an exact bit for bit copy of the entire card and save in the current directory. Here's some light reading on the topic. If it complains about permissions, type sudo dd if=...
    Yeah talked to a buddy that is a true linux expert, and I just have to take my Console Server back outta the rack and open it up and I will make the image.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Member

Certifications
    Some, more needed.
    Impressive stuff, good job and nicely done!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    So i guess what im asking is how you have your ports set up. I have the cable pinned as you posted it on your site however when i use the select, listen, or direct command i get nothing.

Also they already have image of the firmware on their website under firmware. Its the scs-4.4.6-elan.gz file. Its how i had to get my scs up and running.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
    So i guess what im asking is how you have your ports set up. I have the cable pinned as you posted it on your site however when i use the select, listen, or direct command i get nothing.

Also they already have image of the firmware on their website under firmware. Its the scs-4.4.6-elan.gz file. Its how i had to get my scs up and running.

Timber

Lets see if this answers your question; Log into the Lantronix via the web browser, choose Device Ports, then Port Paramemters, you should see a screen like what is below, setup each port like that.

Make sure that you have the DCE/DTE set to DTE if you are using my cable configuration. If that does not answer it, LMK and I will see what I can figure out for you. Can you Telnet or SSH into the devices, via the Lantronix?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Ok that fixed it thanks so much for the help.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar

Certifications
    BSc (Hons) Computer Science, A+, Network+, Security+, DCSE, MCP, CCENT, CCNA.
    I reloaded the flash card. Brought up the box and worked awesome while I had it my office. I took it home, powered it on... Now it doesn't seem to keep the IP address that I assign to it. Should I reimage the flash?
    Last edited by MAC_Addy; 09-16-2011 at 05:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar

Certifications
    Anyone?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I am on a plane headed home from New York will look into this as soon as I get back for you. But it should of saved the configuration in the configuration file.
    Last edited by ZeroHunter; 09-17-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar

Certifications
    it should of saved the configuration in the configuration file.
    I got it to stick with it's IP. I found the config file, opened it up and input the IP.

I'll need to make myself a simple crossover cable to connect it directly to my PC, or maybe I'll connect it up to my home router.

I'm trying to terminal into it right now, for some reason I am unable to do so.... I have only ever been able to do this once (when i first reimaged the flash card). I have tried to use putty from windows and ubuntu, I get nothing back.

EDIT: I just connected it to my home router, configured the IP and used to Telnet to reach it. Got it now.
    Last edited by MAC_Addy; 09-17-2011 at 06:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar

Certifications
    I decided to boot it up again last night and figure out why I couldn't reach it via a browser. Turns out that my browser wouldn't support ssl2 until I configured it... So it's finally up and running. Now just to stop being stupid and figure out the pin outs.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks