+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Member
    Not really, I was not aware of that technic and I do not have a multimeter at this moment...

I'm thinking of buying a new console cable instead of the multimeter, or would you recommend the multimeter instead
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNA
    Buy the cable. Wish you would have stated this in the beginning. We would have told you to buy a cable.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    Not really, I was not aware of that technic and I do not have a multimeter at this moment...

I'm thinking of buying a new console cable instead of the multimeter, or would you recommend the multimeter instead
    What does your console cable look like? Can you take a picture of it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    Buy the cable. Wish you would have stated this in the beginning. We would have told you to buy a cable.
    Yeah, my bad, I guess I had to learn it the hard way

I'll buy it online in the next days, because I couldn't get it at a local store.

What does your console cable look like? Can you take a picture of it?
    Not very pretty Sure I can, and I will post it in a couple of hours.

Ps: Please do not laugh too hard, the poor cable has feelings too what up!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member

Certifications
    ccna ccda

Default rommon

Have you tried rommon mode?
    A console cable is just a rollover cable, so one side has pins 1-8 and the other has 8-1.

So do this, keep your computer and terminal program open and connected console cable to the switch. Unplug the switch (to power off) and wait 10 seconds and plug it in. This starts the boot process. Immediately issue control break to the terminal (try a few times and try it early or late in the process if it doesn't break immediately), this will break out of the booting and into the rommon mode. If this works, then your console is working and everything should work if you fix the configs. In this situation, you should stay in the rommon mode, and do the password recovery procedure (it just skips the config file so you can boot in and do stuff).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member
    These are the pictures of my cable.

And this is the manual I used for the db9 connector, the RJ-45 side said it could be used a 568B standard, so I did.

Have you tried rommon mode?
    A console cable is just a rollover cable, so one side has pins 1-8 and the other has 8-1.

So do this, keep your computer and terminal program open and connected console cable to the switch. Unplug the switch (to power off) and wait 10 seconds and plug it in. This starts the boot process. Immediately issue control break to the terminal (try a few times and try it early or late in the process if it doesn't break immediately), this will break out of the booting and into the rommon mode. If this works, then your console is working and everything should work if you fix the configs. In this situation, you should stay in the rommon mode, and do the password recovery procedure (it just skips the config file so you can boot in and do stuff).
    Not really, but bucause I wasn't aware of that! Sounds terrific, I'll google for it and hope to show some results soon enough.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, CCENT
    Hmmm... from the look of those pics your cable might be suffering from some cross-talk. not sure if the copper needs to be exposed that much. also the twist in the wire pairs needs to be shorter... maby a 1/4 inch. This could be your problem.

sigh... that is an odd looking console cable.
    Last edited by gramacorp; 05-24-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    I'll just send you a cable. PM me an address and I'll send it, postage is on me. Seriously.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Member
    Hmmm... from the look of those pics your cable might be suffering from some cross-talk. not sure if the copper needs to be exposed that much. also the twist in the wire pairs needs to be shorter... maby a 1/4 inch. This could be your problem.

sigh... that is an odd looking console cable.
    Yeah... bottom line... You must get a new cable!

I'll just send you a cable. PM me an address and I'll send it, postage is on me. Seriously.
    Speaking of which... hehe just kiddin' guys, I'll get a new cable I promise that, I really thought it was okay, I have one borrowed from a teacher (not home made), and gives me the same result, but of course that's not a guarantee, guess I shot myself in the foot

Ps: I think that would require international shipping
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post

Best post ever.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by NewManSoon View Post
    Best post ever.
    That's how I rollover cable
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member
    What's up guys, after so many days, I just received my new brand cisco console cable, I plugged it in to my switch and... Unfortunately I got the same result

Seems after all to be a faulty console port?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Learn it, Do it, Know it! Asif Dasl's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSA:2008/7 MCITP:EA/SA EDST/EST MCSE'03 SBS'08/'03 MCDST A+ N+ Sec+ Srv+ VCP5-DCV VCA-DCV/Cloud
    Sounds like it. Sorry for your loss, maybe post it back up on eBay as in need of repair. Or use it a door stopper!

Just never turn up to work / customer site with one of those DIY console cables... ever!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Member
    lol. you got it
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    What's up guys, after so many days, I just received my new brand cisco console cable, I plugged it in to my switch and... Unfortunately I got the same result

Seems after all to be a faulty console port?
    What's happening? And don't you still have telnet access?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Guest

Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    do the pins inside the console port look bent or anything?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    What's happening? And don't you still have telnet access?
    Yes I do, in fact I'm using that switch for a 'mini lab' and gives me 100Mbps through ethernet which is ok

Don't know, but I'll definitely check that out, thanks for the advice.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Priston View Post
    mm not really, looks kind of flawless, what I do notice is that the whole thing moves a bit, don't know if that's normal, but anyways can't hurt to say it I guess.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member Registered Member
    I know this thread is a year old, but i just had the same issue with a 2950 (no keyboard input thru hyperterminal) and what fixed it was... ...taking the cover off and wiggling the console ribbon cable where it connects to the main board. Didn't remove it, just moved the ribbon in the connection a bit. Keyboard works great now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hmrhed; 04-30-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks