+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 First 12 3456 ... Last

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP, S+, N+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxRacr View Post
    I'm working on setting mine up right now, and just discovered that the Cisco console cable won't work on the console port. I even tried a crossover cable from my laptop to the Ethernet port with no luck. JeanM, did you just use a generic RJ45-DB9 adapter to connect to the console? I may also look into changing out the fan. It is pretty loud...lol...

EDIT: I figured it out. I ended up resetting it to factory defaults, per the manual, and I was able to use the crossover cable to reach the https://192.168.161.5 web configuration page.
    Hi,

I made an rj45 to db9 adapter using the pin-outs in the digi manual, then used a regular rj45 cable and it connected. Cisco console cables won't work. This will you'll also be able to connect to the command line via serial port as well, most if not all of it is the same as on the default ip address for https.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCENT
    I'm working on setting mine up right now, and just discovered that the Cisco console cable won't work on the console port. I even tried a crossover cable from my laptop to the Ethernet port with no luck. JeanM, did you just use a generic RJ45-DB9 adapter to connect to the console? I may also look into changing out the fan. It is pretty loud...lol...
    Yea, I was using a console cable plugged into a usb adapter at first. That didn't work and the manual said to use an ethernet cable plugged into a db-9 adapter and that's what I did and it worked like a charm. I used a different computer so I could plug it directly into the serial port also.

When I bought mine I made an offer to a seller in Dallas, Texas and they accepted $48 + $15 to ship.
    We probably bought it from the same guy, mine was in Dallas also and I literally got it the day after I bought it. Couldn't have been more pleased with my purchase.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT Security, A.A.S. Electronics Engineering Technology, ITIL V.3, A+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA (R&S, Security), MTA: 98-364
    I was able to get mine working with a crossover cable to the Ethernet port(after I reset it to factory settings), and to my laptop...of course I had to change the network settings on my laptop to be on the same network as the default IP for the CM32. Yeah, I pretty much had mine the next day as well..
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP, S+, N+, A+
    Anybody got a list of supported cards for these? The link in the manual http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documen...90000301_G.pdf does not seem to work for me.

Compatible PC Cards

All compact-flash cards work with the Digi CM unit, but not all serial modem,wireless LAN, or regular LAN cards do. To see a list of compatible cards thathave been tested with the Digi CM unit, visit the Digi support site at
    http://cm.digi.com.

EDIT - googling got me to this list - very short LOL

http://www.digi.com/lp/discover/pccard

two wireless cards from the list on ebay

lot of 26 Cisco AIR-PCM340 Aironet 340 Series Wireless Lan Adapters, if he would just sell singles - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=310362928485

these are only $8 + s/h (ordered one of these since the wpn511 I first purchased isn't on the list, doh!)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proxim-ORiNO...-/220634948213
    Last edited by JeanM; 03-28-2012 at 04:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanM View Post
    Anybody got a list of supported cards for these? The link in the manual http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documen...90000301_G.pdf does not seem to work for me.

Compatible PC Cards

All compact-flash cards work with the Digi CM unit, but not all serial modem,wireless LAN, or regular LAN cards do. To see a list of compatible cards thathave been tested with the Digi CM unit, visit the Digi support site at
    http://cm.digi.com.

EDIT - googling got me to this list - very short LOL

Digi CM Supported PC Card List - Digi International

two wireless cards from the list on ebay

lot of 26 Cisco AIR-PCM340 Aironet 340 Series Wireless Lan Adapters, if he would just sell singles - Lot Of 26 Cisco AIR-PCM340 Aironet 340 Series Wireless Lan Adapters | eBay

these are only $8 + s/h (ordered one of these since the wpn511 I first purchased isn't on the list, doh!)
    Proxim ORiNOCO Laptop Wireless WiFi PC Card PCMCIA | eBay
    As an alternative, there is an ethernet port that you can use and just plug it straight into your internet router.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP, S+, N+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmet29 View Post
    As an alternative, there is an ethernet port that you can use and just plug it straight into your internet router.
    Of course I am looking at this specifically for wireless because I don't want to run a 50ft cable to another location
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Just powered it on today, so far so good. Working via serial port (rj45 to db9 adapter must be used, cisco console cable won't work), and via ip connect to my pc's nic.

Currently I am waiting for my pcmcia wifi card to arrive, then I can really test it and go through it's settings. The cooling fan in it is a bit loud, it's easily louder than 3x2950 and 3x2620s next to it :/ I'll have to look into getting a different fan for it...

Front view - http://www.techexams.net/members/jea...front-view.jpg

Rear view - http://www.techexams.net/members/jea...-rear-view.jpg

Inside (fan will be easy to replace) http://www.techexams.net/members/jea...0-img-8706.jpg

My lab work in progress, the 1924s were my first purchase (only paid $20 for the pair) but they ended up having cat-os/menu driven vs. ios. So ignore those, tomorrow my 3640 should arrive, and later this week 2 more 2950-24s.

http://www.techexams.net/members/jea...24s-arrive.jpg
    Dude...nice lab pics. I need another rack that size too so; I'll have to get back on ebay.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP, S+, N+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell_00 View Post
    Dude...nice lab pics. I need another rack that size too so; I'll have to get back on ebay.
    Amazon.com $28
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT Security, A.A.S. Electronics Engineering Technology, ITIL V.3, A+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA (R&S, Security), MTA: 98-364
    OMG! I just got to really play around with the features, and connected to my Cisco equipment from the CM32 for the first time. This thing is awesome!! CLI or web interface!!
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    OMG! I just got to really play around with the features, and connected to my Cisco equipment from the CM32 for the first time. This thing is awesome!! CLI or web interface!!
    Web interface? Can I get a picture, and I assume it's HTTPS?
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Here is the screen where you can connect to each console port via the https web interface. It opens a java console session to the port when you click on the little computer terminal icons:
    DigiCM32Web.jpg
    DigiCM32Web_Console.jpg
    Last edited by LinuxRacr; 04-16-2012 at 12:47 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    Very nice! The more I think about it though, the cost of leaving my Routers and Switches on all day would get very expensive.
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP, S+, N+, A+
    Detected PC card : Unsupported Card

Model : Agere Systems Wireless PC Card Model 0110

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

" Proxim ORiNOCO Laptop Wireless WiFi PC Card PCMCIA " It shows Orinoco 802.11b SILVER, but not WORLD... so it's not supported. I wish Digi would show actual MODEL numbers ...like 8421-WD etc...

This is going to be interesting trying to find a card that works--

Cisco Systems AIR-PCM340/Aironet 340 Cisco Systems 340 Series Wireless LAN Adapter 11 Mbps Wireless LAN Adapter
    Proxim ORINOCO Silver World/Classic Gold 11 Mbps Wireless LAN PC Card
    Last edited by JeanM; 03-31-2012 at 05:20 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP, S+, N+, A+
    Last edited by JeanM; 03-31-2012 at 05:17 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I actually have the old Orinoco Silver card sitting right here on my desk from my old laptop. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it possible to upgrade the firmware on those to match the Orinoco Gold settings?

EDIT: Yes, I remember that's exactly what I did years ago...
    Last edited by LinuxRacr; 04-02-2012 at 01:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP, S+, N+, A+
    I actually have the old Orinoco Silver card sitting right here on my desk from my old laptop. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it possible to upgrade the firmware on those to match the Orinoco Gold settings?

EDIT: Yes, I remember that's exactly what I did years ago...

Hmm, I have a laptop here with PCMCIA slots. I'll google it, if you any direct links for this, post it
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Just for the fun of it, I ran a Nessus vulnerability scan on the CM32 (for PCI DSS), and here is a brief summary of the results:

Number of vulnerabilities
    High 3
    Medium 48
    Low 121

Most had to do with telnet, so I turned it off. It also says that OpenSSH needs to be upgraded from v4.2 to v4.3.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Updated the firmware today to the latest version. It took less than 5 minutes.

DiGiCM32_FWUpdate.jpg
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP, S+, N+, A+
    Sweet! Now re-run the Nessus vulnerability scan
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    In progress...

Nessus_DiGiCM32.jpg
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Wow, the updated firmware introduced a few more things to look out for. Since I turned off TELNET, all it has to complain about now are several concerns with the OpenSSH version 4.5 that is now installed with the firmware 1.9.5, and it is still talking about weak signing of the SSL certificate. I guess I could reduce the errors by shutting down all ports but the ones needed for console connectivity, but then again, I'm in my lab.

Number of vulnerabilities
    High 33
    Medium 269
    Low 150
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP, S+, N+, A+
    Update - the Orinoco card I've purchased would not update it's firmware, not exactly the same model.

Purchased a Cisco aircard that's on the compatibility list for $15 Downloaded new firmware for the CM32 box, will play with that this week.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Amazon.com $28
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE, A+
    Is there a way to connect a computer to this if you don't have a serial port on your computer? I don't think even any of my old laptops have a serial port on them. LOL
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yes there is. Please read back through this thread, specifically my posts about use of a crossover cable.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 First 12 3456 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks