+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 First 12 3456 ... Last

Certifications
    B.S. CSIT; CompTIA A+, Network+; CCNA, DA; CCNP R&S; CCDP
    Hey rogue here is another great youtube channel that you may want to add to your thread. He has tons of content for CCNA certification.

DansCourses - YouTube
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member

Certifications
    CCNA:DC, CCENT
    Awesome thread. I'm getting ready to embark on this journey (6 months is the goal/requirement set) and it was nice to stumble onto a well organized post on how to do it!

This weekend I'll be ordering a set off books (most likely these - Amazon Link) and trying to start on my lab. Luckily we have piles of 2960s at work so I'll be able to get those easily, not sure on the routers quite yet. Is the biggest requirement iOS 12.4? The reason I ask is I may be able to get newer equipment through work...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    #Cisco: NA #CompTIA: A.N.S
    Keep the updates coming!

If you got links, suggestions, make them known! I'm trying to make a single source of information for CCENT/CCNA/None of the above!

Added: Pros/Cons to Hardware Buying

I drink black tea. It's been a while since I've had BAWLS, a couple months. Im not sure which to pick up actually - RootBeer, Original, or Cherry. I liked them all - except for the sugar free! AMP has been my staple drink for the latest. Monster isn't drinkable for me.
    Last edited by Roguetadhg; 09-07-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Here's a couple more Youtube Channels -

Keith Barker
    Keith Barker - YouTube

Chris Bryant (The Bryant Advantage)
    The Bryant Advantage - YouTube
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, MCP, MCT, MCITP
    Here is the link to Keil Martin's YouTube page, a lot of good videos. He offers good information and real life experience that he has encountered.Kiel Martin brings Cisco Concept to Light - YouTube
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP, S+, N+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by FloOz View Post
    Hey rogue here is another great youtube channel that you may want to add to your thread. He has tons of content for CCNA certification.

DansCourses - YouTube
    +1, really good stuff!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    It's ALL about the book, namely its author!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanM View Post
    +1, really good stuff!

if you don't know it, try and learn it..(youtube included)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Who said anything about trying to learn? You'll learn something from doing!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP, S+, N+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by Illumanati View Post
    if you don't know it, try and learn it..(youtube included)
    Confused.....as usual with your posts.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, CCENT, CompTIA A+ , CIW something
    I know it's been said but this is a great post. Thanks to this forum and members like you I have finally gotten off my arse to work on completing my CCNA studies by the end of this year. I check the forums daily and there is never a shortage of good help here. Thanks again for this post. I know plenty of people that aren't techexams members that I will be directing to it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP, Linux+, A+, HDA
    Here's my small contribution (the more experienced ppls will probably chuckle at this). But I found it a useful setup for following ICND1 CBT Nuggets, especially the routing section. And it helps CLI practice in general.

This virtual contraption I made from a Virtual Box XP machine (that has on it Tftpd32, Tera Term, Cisco SDM) attached as a "cloud" onto GSM3 topology as shown in the pic (which is pretty much the same as used by Jeremy Cioara throught the first CD of CBT Nuggets - I had to change some details). On the other end of topology I attached another cloud, this is a "Microsoft Loopback" interface (on the actual host PC) that is bridged onto the actual PC's Ethernet interface which is connected to the Internet.

With this setup I am able to practice RIP, telnet and SSH, the use of SDM for setting up NAT, and the like. And, yes, tftp operations, as well. Now it all works a treat, but in order to set it up, I've had to jump through some hoops. (Note: there are some useful YouTube videos on setting GNS3 up. Search for them).

(For anyone inexperienced who attempts similar use of GNS3 an important note - always run it as administrator. I've actually changed the properties of the GNS3 icon on my Win7 Desktop so that it will always start as run by admin. On the same note, if you add / change any interfaces on the host machine, you'll have to restart the PC, otherwise the GNS3 won't "know" about them).

Well, so much for my lab fun for today, I've got to go back to now, this Odom book is endless.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguetadhg View Post
    Can't wait to put Cisco in my life...class set to start in T minus 2 days!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP EA, Sec +, 70-640, 642, 643, 647, 680, CCNA, and a few more i cant think of..........
    I did a boot camp for my CCNA (Which I need to renew) After I had finished it my head was a shed. But I had the hands on knowledge that I needed and a idea of what I understood and what I did not. I then spent a month and a half re-reading the CCNA Books and labbing my ass off.

I had just left the military and not knowing any better I did the boot camp. To be fair am glad I did as it gave me a good grounding to plan my own studies.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    Awesome thread, Rouguetaghg.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Bonus TE Fun: Nerd Photos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Ch@rl!3m0ng View Post
    I did a boot camp for my CCNA (Which I need to renew) After I had finished it my head was a shed. But I had the hands on knowledge that I needed and a idea of what I understood and what I did not. I then spent a month and a half re-reading the CCNA Books and labbing my ass off.

I had just left the military and not knowing any better I did the boot camp. To be fair am glad I did as it gave me a good grounding to plan my own studies.
    I am planning on labbing my ass off during my exploration course. I will have to get around to reading the books.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Member

Certifications
    I'm focused on getting my CCNA within 6 months. My current goal is to get a lab setup this week and begin my studies (GNS3 and 3 2960s sound ok?). I just received my book order from Amazon (went with the set from Odom) and also have the INE bootcamp downloaded. My goal for ICDN1 is to work through a chapter a night and pair that with a matching video and lab the next day. With 24 chapters in Odom's ICDN1 book that puts me at about a 48 days to get through all the material. Does that seem like a decent plan?

ICDN1 in 50-55 days and then another 60 for ICDN2, which will leave me with some fudge factor if I get stuck on a subject or don't pass a test
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA N+, Cisco CCENT & CCNA
    The best way I find is to watch the videos (if it's like CBT nuggets) first. They don't go into enough detail but are good at explaining the basics. I wouldn't set a 'chapter a night' target because some chapters are longer than others. I'd set a page target instead. That way you can target 60 pages for example and if you feel up to it you can read more. Some chapters you'll fly through and this method allows you to keep at your own pace but still maintain a minimum completion time.

Slightly off-topic, Why isn't this thread stickied already?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, MCP, MCT, MCITP
    My Goal is to be CCNA before 2013, I will take the test dressed as Santa.

Watching
    CBT Nuggets
    Train Signal
    INE CCNA Streaming option (Free Promo)

Reward for Passing
    2x 120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    If you take pictures of your ccna pass score as santa. I will take my CCNA:Security as Link. Without the sword... or shield. pointy ears might count as weapons too, or cheating. But I doubt they have "ear shapes" as cheating.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Member

Certifications
    So...building out my lab I basically have my choice of switches. We have everything from 2950s up to 3750x's at my disposal. The problem is a lack of routers. If I take my workstation and slap 3 more NICs into it can I just run GNS3 and be done with the router piece?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by staticz View Post
    So...building out my lab I basically have my choice of switches. We have everything from 2950s up to 3750x's at my disposal. The problem is a lack of routers. If I take my workstation and slap 3 more NICs into it can I just run GNS3 and be done with the router piece?
    You certainly can. You miss out on the fun of WIC/NM cards and getting all the right cables though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Zartanasaurus View Post
    You certainly can. You miss out on the fun of WIC/NM cards and getting all the right cables though.
    If I didn't have such a tight deadline I'd love to do that. My plan is to use work equipment while I slowly phase in my own equipment. So GNS3 and work switches until I can buy my own equipment!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCIP, CCNP, CCNA, JNCIA, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by staticz View Post
    If I didn't have such a tight deadline I'd love to do that. My plan is to use work equipment while I slowly phase in my own equipment. So GNS3 and work switches until I can buy my own equipment!
    Staticz, choose the 3750 to connect GNS3 to your other switches. You will thank me later.

(To learn why and good ways to do so, Google 3750 & GNS3 & "breakout switch".)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkVeteran View Post
    Staticz, choose the 3750 to connect GNS3 to your other switches. You will thank me later.

(To learn why and good ways to do so, Google 3750 & GNS3 & "breakout switch".)
    So instead of getting 3 NICs (one for each router) I can just use the 3750 and trunk back to my PC?

EDIT: Ok the more I read about that...I'm pretty stoked to use it.
    Last edited by staticz; 09-14-2012 at 04:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+,Network+
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguetadhg View Post
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”-Yoda

Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 First 12 3456 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks