View Poll Results: Since the CCNA in no longer a pre-req to other certs, what will you do?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will take the CCNA regardless - it's valuable!

94 91.26%
  • Skip it, the CCNA is too hard and too expensive!

9 8.74%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 First 12 3456 ... Last
  1. Member

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by bub9001 View Post
    Todd,

Good point on taking the older version, but I like to stay current with certs. Am I right by thinking that being current is good, rather then having a old CCNA?
    I'm not an expert but I'd say it doesn't really matter as long has you are CCNA certified.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, A+, MCP
    I got my ICND 2 scheduled next week so I hope I pass it so I can move on to other topics. I agree that CCNA should be required before moving into voice or security. Do they plan on making changes to the voice and security exams as well or just the CCNA for now?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, Security+
    I still can't believe that CCNA isn't required anymore for security. I'm not an expert at all, just started my networking career, but in my opinion someone who knows the in and outs of routing/switching could break in to networks way more often than someone who doesn't know the in and outs of routing/switching. And isn't a network security breach, what a security guy should be able to prevent and/or detect?

Anyhow, we have to live with it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, A+, MCP
    Maybe with the announcement next week they will shed more light on the Voice, Wireless, and Security test. I believe the foundation given on the CCNA is essential to be successful. So are the titles going to change also? wouldn't seem right to have CCNA Voice when the candidate didn't do CCNA at all. Maybe just Cisco Voice Certified now?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSc MIS, CCNA, CCENT, ITIL-F
    This would make the most sense to me. Have Cisco Security, CCNA Security, CCNP Security etc
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member

Certifications
    CCENT,ITIL-F
    Todd Lammle!!!!! I am really impressed
    However I am confused too as I just passed my ICND1 exam last to last month Do I have to retake it before taking the ICND2 exam to be a CCNA?If not do i have to buy new books for studying ICND2 exam for CCNA?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member
    Here is a URL that I provide to my students to help with subnetting, after they read my book of course:
    IP Subnet Practice Page | Lammle.com

Keep up the good work!
    Todd Lammle
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, A+, MCP
    Maybe the CCNA Security, Wireless, ect.. would hold a higher ranking then just Cisco (insert title here)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    Quote Originally Posted by todd@lammle.com View Post
    Yea, right?? Well Cisco is saying you don't have to know R/S if you want to go into Security now! No, I don't like this, but then they do not ask for my thoughts on the matter.
    Todd
    Where are they saying that? You don't have to get certified in something to know it.

I don't see the point of having to get a CCNA and CCNA Security if you know you want to go down the Security track. This is actually helping people save money. Not something Cisco does often.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by networker050184 View Post
    Where are they saying that? You don't have to get certified in something to know it.

I don't see the point of having to get a CCNA and CCNA Security if you know you want to go down the Security track. This is actually helping people save money. Not something Cisco does often.
    Thats exactly what I was saying, I mean I know you have to know routing and switching but do you HAVE to spend money on a whole other cert to get the basics, cant they just include R&S in those specialty CCNA courses, I guess that makes too much sense and cisco cant make more money.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Member
    Thanks for your post! I am interested in people's thoughts on these new paths.
    it is rare for cisco to do something that would take money from them!
    Do you feel that less people will take the CCNA now?
    I guess I am wondering if I should write a new book or not now...what do you think?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, A+, MCP
    no, Cisco still controls a large market and businesses will want someone with certs and most of all experience.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Member

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, Security+
    I guess I am wondering if I should write a new book or not now...what do you think?
    I would say people like myself who are just starting out in the networking field, will still get the CCNA. I believe having the CCNA is still a big advantage to land an entry job compared to an applicant without the CCNA. Just my two cents

But yes, this new direction does make it harder for me to find motivation to complete the ICND2
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    I think a lot of people will still do CCNA, but probably less now that know where they want to specialize can go straight to it. Same with the CCENT, it's not needed by any means, but plenty people still do it as it's the Cisco starting point. Most people new to networking will probably still look at CCNA first.

Maybe you can just write a book for all the CCNA exams.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Member
    Well, I have the CCNA R/S, CCNA Wireless and am finishing the CCNA Data Center. I am stil wondering if I should update CCNA R/S or not....it's a LOT of work!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Member

Certifications
    MCSE, MCP + I, A+, N+, S+, ACSP, CCENT, CCNA
    Thank you Todd. Here is the direct link:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/co...ons/ccna/icnd2
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I highly doubt they consider removing the CCNA requirement a loss of revenue. There is probably an extremely large amount of people that obtain 1 maybe 2 certifications and are then gone from the IT world. Maybe they want to do what they can to target the people that pursue the CompTIA A+/N+/S+ for an IT knowledge foundation (probably not the A+ as much, but I don't see a whole lot of value there anyway). CCENT/Cisco Voice/Cisco Security seems like it would be a good foundation of knowledge.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

This is terrible news, the CCNA being a pre-req has helped tons and tons of engineers. Imagine getting into ovice or any other cert without knowing the underlining theory and basics?

Oh well i hope they leave the CCNP alone. I was thinking about buying the books
    Those who have been intoxicated with power... can never willingly abandon it.
    Edmund Burke
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krjay View Post
    I highly doubt they consider removing the CCNA requirement a loss of revenue. There is probably an extremely large amount of people that obtain 1 maybe 2 certifications and are then gone from the IT world. Maybe they want to do what they can to target the people that pursue the CompTIA A+/N+/S+ for an IT knowledge foundation (probably not the A+ as much, but I don't see a whole lot of value there anyway). CCENT/Cisco Voice/Cisco Security seems like it would be a good foundation of knowledge.
    I know it seems crazy, but yes, they have announced that the CCNA is no longer a requirement! Unbelievable!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by networker050184 View Post
    Learning does not equal certification. If I planned on going for the Voice or Wireless track I'd probably skip the CCNA if it wasn't a pre-req.
    Though i see your point and its a valid one. I think having the CCNA is a great thing because its a foundation to build on
    Edmund Burke
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP,HCISPP,MCSA:2012, S+, P+, Comptia HIT, MCTS:Win7, CWTS, ITILv3:
    I guess I could see not having the CCNA as a prereq if you had a working environment that had HP or Juniper switches/routers, but used a Cisco ASA or had a Cisco phone system.

Personally, I still think you should have the foundation knowledge.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Where has this security/voice information been announced?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

By the way Todd,

I think having a 2800 series in your lab is still good as it runs the 15.x ios, though i think the 2600 series market on Ebay has just been crushed
    Edmund Burke
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCENT,Comptia Security+, Network+
    So I have a question. Should I then go after the ICND1 & ICND2 then or wait for the curriculum? I am a person who doesn't have any actual experience, just wanting to get out of doing desktop support for the rest of my life. So I failed (twice) while taking the CCNA. And now am deciding to take the ICND1/ICND2 (CCENT) approach. I am now confused on what I should do if the test changes in just a few months. Any advice Todd? Thanks,

Rod
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodzilla G View Post
    So I have a question. Should I then go after the ICND1 & ICND2 then or wait for the curriculum? I am a person who doesn't have any actual experience, just wanting to get out of doing desktop support for the rest of my life. So I failed (twice) while taking the CCNA. And now am deciding to take the ICND1/ICND2 (CCENT) approach. I am now confused on what I should do if the test changes in just a few months. Any advice Todd? Thanks,

Rod
    Rod, although the news today is disapointing in some ways, it shoudn't interfer with your current plans. Sure, you'll have to learn more technologies, but that is good for you! Learning Advanced EIGRP and multi-area OSPF as well as more IPv6 will make you more valuable! The exams/objectives are not changing that much where this should stop you from studying or giving up! Start with the current books/labs/classes avialable and then evolve to the newer technologies when are you ready. Try not to stress!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 First 12 3456 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks