View Poll Results: Since the CCNA in no longer a pre-req to other certs, what will you do?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will take the CCNA regardless - it's valuable!

94 91.26%
  • Skip it, the CCNA is too hard and too expensive!

9 8.74%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 First 123 4567 ... Last
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustFred View Post
    By the way Todd,

I think having a 2800 series in your lab is still good as it runs the 15.x ios, though i think the 2600 series market on Ebay has just been crushed
    Yes, 2600 routers are now worth about $5! In reality though, having them in your lab is not a bad thing as they still do routing! The 15.x code is not that different where you have to run out and upgrade all your routers. Sure, you need some, but not all of them have to be 15.x code for you to be sucessful on the CCNA/NP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A+; Network+; Security+; Project+; CCNP
    Quote Originally Posted by todd@lammle.com View Post
    Thanks for your post! I am interested in people's thoughts on these new paths.
    it is rare for cisco to do something that would take money from them!
    Do you feel that less people will take the CCNA now?
    I guess I am wondering if I should write a new book or not now...what do you think?
    I think a few less people will take it, however I think companies (for at least a few years to come) will look at the CCNA as a standard that ranks higher than the others. I am only saying this because I watch job boards and I see tons of jobs with CCNA required but hardly ever see them that require CCNA Security, Wireless, ect.

maybe this new system will change that!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCENT,Comptia Security+, Network+
    Thank you for the reply Todd...but I guess either I am still confused or my mind is just freaking over this news. Sorry for being a pain....but my understanding from your post is to continue to study for the ICND1 and hopefully ICND2 as if this announcement had never came about??? I am just not sure If I can get both certs completed by the Sept deadline. I have given myself probably around late May/early June to take the ICND1, but although I hope to pass, that will not give me much time left for the 2nd part in September. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to make excuses, I want the CCNA cert more than any cert at the moment. I am just wondering if having an ICND1 under the former format, if the ICND2 in the newer format.......would that complicate things? Thanks for your insights (can't believe, I am talking to Todd Lammle)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    Usually Cisco will let you mix and match old and new exams. So if you get ICND1 done by September it will most likely still count towards the new ICND2 exam. By then everything will be officially announced by Cisco and you can plan accordingly.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, A+, MCP
    being a Cisco nerd i'll probably throw the new book series into my library lol
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by networker050184 View Post
    Usually Cisco will let you mix and match old and new exams. So if you get ICND1 done by September it will most likely still count towards the new ICND2 exam. By then everything will be officially announced by Cisco and you can plan accordingly.
    Thanks for the information. Took the CCNA exam yesterday, and walked away dejected/frustrated. But I am so glad I found this site to have people such as all of you helping with insights and info for newbies such as myself.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    QUESTION: Will you still take the CCNA if you don't have to and just go for Wireless, Voice, Security? I feel like Cisco is ruining the cert like microsoft did to the MCSE. I am very curious to what others think about this all-so-important topic!
    I do subscribe to the opinion that "you can't fix or secure what you don't understand," so I consider the R/S knowledge and skills in the CCNA to be necessary for all net op sec people.
    Last edited by JDMurray; 03-19-2013 at 07:37 PM.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodzilla G View Post
    Thank you for the reply Todd...but I guess either I am still confused or my mind is just freaking over this news. Sorry for being a pain....but my understanding from your post is to continue to study for the ICND1 and hopefully ICND2 as if this announcement had never came about??? I am just not sure If I can get both certs completed by the Sept deadline. I have given myself probably around late May/early June to take the ICND1, but although I hope to pass, that will not give me much time left for the 2nd part in September. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to make excuses, I want the CCNA cert more than any cert at the moment. I am just wondering if having an ICND1 under the former format, if the ICND2 in the newer format.......would that complicate things? Thanks for your insights (can't believe, I am talking to Todd Lammle)
    You're going to be fine. Just take your time and study the current ICND1. If in a week we find out that you can't mix and match from the current to the new exams, then you'll just take the two new exams.
    Todd
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    You're going to be fine. Just take your time and study the current ICND1. If in a week we find out that you can't mix and match from the current to the new exams, then you'll just take the two new exams.
    Todd
    Thank you sir!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMurray View Post
    I do subscribe to the opinion that "you can't fix or secure what you don't understand," so I consider the R/S knowledge and skills in the CCNA to be necessary for all op sec people.
    Thanks for the great post! I feel the same way, and I dont' understand why Cisco does not, but I think most companies will continue to require CCNA for a least a while! At least that thought will keep me motivated to write/update my CCNA books! I just wish I had more time. UGH!
    Todd
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    So I have until September 30th to pass the ICND 1,2

I was planning to have the CCENT/CCNA done by August so this is the extra motivation push to finish it
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. in Information Technology, A.A.S. in Electronics and Computer Technology, MCITP 7, MCSA 8.1, A+, P+, N+, S+, and a ton of CIW' s
    I think I will shoot for the CCNA 640-802 for now. I can study for one exam faster then I can study for two. Besides if I can take the CCNA sooner and if I don't pass at least I get exposed to Cisco exams and leaves me time to study more and take it a couple of times if needed.

Anyone feel like taking the 640-802 harder then the two separate exams?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    The vast majority of the material is not going to change so I wouldn't worry about rushing it. You might need to learn one or two new areas and not be tested on one or two you did, but switching and routing fundamentals, the OSI model, subnetting etc. aren't going to change.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.A in Telecommunications (Michigan State University), CompTIA A+
    Quote Originally Posted by bub9001 View Post
    I think I will shoot for the CCNA 640-802 for now. I can study for one exam faster then I can study for two. Besides if I can take the CCNA sooner and if I don't pass at least I get exposed to Cisco exams and leaves me time to study more and take it a couple of times if needed.

Anyone feel like taking the 640-802 harder then the two separate exams?

^^^^THIS. I'm currently studying for the CCENT, but after hearing this news, the composite exam is starting to look more tempting to take. I was going to take the CCENT exam in early/mid June, but that would only leave me with barely 2 months to study/prepare, take the ICND 2 exam, and PASS IT on the first try. WHY couldn't CISCO simply extend the deadline to December 31, 2013?!?!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member
    Just to add another question into this mix. If you are purchasing home lab equipment to study for you ccent, like I am looking into doing. Would it be in my or others best interest to wait till next week on more information before purchasing anything? Just looking at 3 2611xms and 3 2950ts. But if they are using a new IOs instead of the 12.4 and new enhanced images that the 2950ts don't support, wouldn't simply be a waste of money right now? Or no?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turner.rook View Post
    Just to add another question into this mix. If you are purchasing home lab equipment to study for you ccent, like I am looking into doing. Would it be in my or others best interest to wait till next week on more information before purchasing anything? Just looking at 3 2611xms and 3 2950ts. But if they are using a new IOs instead of the 12.4 and new enhanced images that the 2950ts don't support, wouldn't simply be a waste of money right now? Or no?
    This is a good question, but we already know that the new exams are all 15.x based! Those 2600's and 2950's are no longer valid. I am not saying you can't use them for routing and switching - you can! However, you need to get some newer 15.x based products too.
    Todd
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Project+, Security+, Hyper-V, MCSA: Windows 7
    Will a CCNA earned March 2013 be on the same level as an CCNA earned March 2014? Do people care about what version of the exam you took?
    O
    /|\
    / \
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyblizzard View Post
    Will a CCNA earned March 2013 be on the same level as an CCNA earned March 2014? Do people care about what version of the exam you took?
    Absolutly not! The certs are the same!
    I am not recommending taking either one, as Networker050184 posted, the material will probably mostly be the same. No need to rush, the only problem is that you'd need new books, but if that isn't a problem, you're golden.
    Todd
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, A+, MCP
    Todd when you starting on the new book? how about adding pullout cheat sheets to read before taking the test on your next book?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Junior Member
    This is a good question, but we already know that the new exams are all 15.x based! Those 2600's and 2950's are no longer valid. I am not saying you can't use them for routing and switching - you can! However, you need to get some newer 15.x based products too.
    Todd
    Thank you very much for the response. This is very good to know. If you or anyone else has the time, considering I am pretty new to all of this. What would be some recommended router and switch models to get for a home lab that are updated to current standards? I am looking around, but there is a sea of hardware that getting me a bit confused.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsb515 View Post
    Todd when you starting on the new book? how about adding pullout cheat sheets to read before taking the test on your next book?
    Can you send me an example of what you mean?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCDA, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE R&S, Security+, CISSP, SCP #2235, CCNA: DC
    Seems really similar to CCNA 5.0 Coming in June!

That being said, Todd, why do you feel 15.x code is absolutely required..what specifically about it do you feel will be lacking in previous IOS revisions?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrock4 View Post
    Seems really similar to CCNA 5.0 Coming in June!

That being said, Todd, why do you feel 15.x code is absolutely required..what specifically about it do you feel will be lacking in previous IOS revisions?
    For my classes I will have a mixture between 12.4 and 15.x. There is nothing that different that you need to have all 15.x code devices, but the CCNA objectives are all 15.x code driven, that's all.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    Possibly some license management stuff thrown in? That would require 15, but most stuff I'd assume would still be doable on 12.4.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCENT
    This news does not change things for me. I am going to take the and "pass" the ICND1 in April and take the ICND2 in July. In may I start my Cisco Security Networking Academy class at my local community college. The new events in the cisco curriculum don't worry me. I hope eveyone will relax and just roll with it. Not much else you can do but stdy hard and pass the tests
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 First 123 4567 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks