View Poll Results: Since the CCNA in no longer a pre-req to other certs, what will you do?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will take the CCNA regardless - it's valuable!

94 91.26%
  • Skip it, the CCNA is too hard and too expensive!

9 8.74%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 First ... 45678

Certifications
    CCNA, CCENT, CCNA:SEC, CCNP
    Quote Originally Posted by ArabianKnight View Post
    So, if I take the old ICND1 then CCNA:Sec would there be any CCNA level knowledge requirement to successfully pass it. I think Cisco would not allow the exam to have that level of prerequisite if you need it to pass the security exam.

i took and passed the ccna:sec last week. and i guess only thing you might miss in the current ICND1 is ACLs basics and IPv6. but since access lists are a foundation of of the sec cert you will have to master them anyway before getting near this exam.

but i would strongly suggest to be on a ccna level when attending the security track at the moment, because when i think back how much i knew when i got my ccent two years ago and now its a HUGE difference.

anyhow i watched at the new ICND1 topics yesterday and it looks like its gotten a lot harder for new people to get in BUT from a perspective of someone who done the old track not so long ago i have to say that you will have to learn about all this stuff sooner or later anyways if you wanna be in the cisco world...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. BMG FTW!!

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by dasmoothride View Post
    So, If I take ICND1 and I passed it before October and decided I wanted to take ICND2 after the cutoff date, will I be able to do that? Or I would have to retake the newer version of ICND1 before I could take the newer ICND2 exam.
    Yes, all you need to do is to take the ICND2 before the sut-off date and you would be just fine.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    CBT Nuggets now has a MicroNugget explaining the new ICND1, ICND2, and CCNA exams: MicroNugget: What's New in the CCNA 2013? - YouTube
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCWKIA (Cisco Certified Wannabe Know It All)
    Just when Cisco had ensured their CCNA wasn't some "entry level" certification they go and make these changes. *sigh*

The CCNA has some seriously valuable underlying information for any network engineer to understand, it's not an easy walk in the park certification like it was thought of pre 2007

I can see it now, ask someone if they can do some R&S and they respond "Uh, no i'm in Security".."I'm in Voice" because they no longer really have to learn it.

Sure, any solid engineer will know it regardless but we will see even more of an influx of these types that IT is already overflowing with. Ugh!

Keep on keeping on, it doesn't affect my certification path. Good luck to everyone whichever way you go.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation (2011)
    @RouteMyPacket - I haven't looked into all of the changes but I think I read that you now only need to do ICND1 to do CCNA security, voice or whatever.

But ICND1 has become MUCH harder. It basically covers all of the topics which were in ICND2..

I really want to go and sit ICND1 and ICND2 again, the new ones to see what has changed for myself. ICND2 sounds very easy now compared to ICND1.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Sorry if someone already posted this.

Jeremy Ciora does a live chat and discusses the new exams.

New CCNA exams, chat with Jeremy Cioara - YouTube
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMurray View Post
    CBT Nuggets now has a MicroNugget explaining the new ICND1, ICND2, and CCNA exams: MicroNugget: What's New in the CCNA 2013? - YouTube
    Also, check Official Todd Lammle Blog | Lammle.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    Security+, Network+, A+, CASP
    I didn't see this asked/answered. If you have or take the old ICND1 before the cut off date, then after the change, can you go right to CCNA: Security? Or does that change only effect the new ICND1?

Edit: The old ICND1 can be a pre-req for CCNA:Sec apparently.
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/to...ool/index.html
    Last edited by richnewman; 04-09-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 First ... 45678

Social Networking & Bookmarks