+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CCENT and IPV6

Certifications
    ITIL F, C|EH

Default CCENT and IPV6

To what extent is IPV6 covered on the new CCENT exam? I've spoke to a few people on here in regards to the age old debate of N+ or CCENT, and recently it had been pointed out to me that the new CCENT exam includes some more difficult topics (IPV6) that now makes it definitively more difficult than N+.

I have been searching for awhile and aside from the blueprint here:
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/ex...-101_icnd1.pdf

I don't see exactly how deep your knowledge of v6 needs to be. And if thats the only change from the old exam, than it appears that its still in the same category as N+.

Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCIE #48240, CCDP
    11% of the exam is given to IPv4 and IPv6 addressing
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA-Sec, CCNA, A+, Security+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CIW plethora
    I know they revamped the CCENT/CCNA because basically a lot of people would stop at CCENT/CCNA and Cisco wanted those guys to really know their stuff if that's as far as they were going to go.

Concerning CCENT, if you truly grasp all the IPv4 concepts, IPv6 is a walk in the park. And from what I understand, there's not a whole lot of IPv6 on the exam. I would GUESS that of that 11% on IPv4/v6 addressing, less than half of that 11% is on IPv6.

I wouldn't look at which cert is easier, but which cert provides more value knowledge-wise and career-wise.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA
    IPv6 is a dream compared to IPv4 (VLSM, subnetting etc)

Once you get used to the IOS commands, and routing then its a whizz. Nearly all the config is the same only difference is ipv6 instead of ip commands.

The objectives need you to describe ipv6 features and what to use for network demands, and the types. But in IP routing you must be able to configure ospfv3 which is ipv6, but it is configured exactly like ospfv2.

I wish the exam ONLY had IPv6!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, VCA-DCV, Linux+/LPIC-1, AWS CSA, AWS Dev, AWS SysOps, Project+ [Expired: Net+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA]
    If you understand IPv4, the added IPv6 in the CCENt shouldn't be too hard.

However, IPv6 is not the only addition. And I wouldn't consider either the new or the old ICND1 as being in the same category as the Net+.
    Goals for 2017:
    RHCSA, RHCE, LFCS: Ubuntu | Project+ | AWS Certified DevOps Engineer | Learn Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, Golang | Improve Python Programming
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ITIL F, C|EH
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolAsAFan View Post
    I know they revamped the CCENT/CCNA because basically a lot of people would stop at CCENT/CCNA and Cisco wanted those guys to really know their stuff if that's as far as they were going to go.

Concerning CCENT, if you truly grasp all the IPv4 concepts, IPv6 is a walk in the park. And from what I understand, there's not a whole lot of IPv6 on the exam. I would GUESS that of that 11% on IPv4/v6 addressing, less than half of that 11% is on IPv6.

I wouldn't look at which cert is easier, but which cert provides more value knowledge-wise and career-wise.

Interesting...I didn't know the motives behind the change. My goal has always been CCNA, I was a little distracted when I read that even Cisco says holders of N+ have a higher passing rate than non N+ holders. But I think Ill just study the N+ material as planned then move onto the Udemy CCNA videos & Wendell Odom's ICND1 book & GNS3 where needed.

I am working on a comparison of N+ and CCENT for my blog and this was a sticking point for me. If you go line by line and compare each of the exams objectives there are many similar lines but its obvious the CCENT has a Cisco centric twist. But just judging the difficulty by reading the objectives is hard to do.

Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks