+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 First ... 142021222324
  1. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+
    Program Track: Cisco /Network Engineering.
    Journey to CCNA began in July....
    Projected take Exam Day: Mid December.

This will be my new home for this track.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNA-Security, CCNA R&S, CCENT, A+, Sec+, Linux+, Project+, LPIC-1,
    Quote Originally Posted by --chris-- View Post
    Learning how to learn is the real trick for all of this lol.

I seen someone else on here recommend smaller blocks of study, which I have adopted as well. Usually 20 minutes or so, 2-3x a night. If my 2 year old goes to bed early and I am not falling asleep I will pull out my laptop for GNS3 to help cement the concepts. Its slow...but I never thought in a million years I would have a CCNA, so the thought of attaining that level is what really drives me. Its only associate I know, but I remember my friends older brother in 1998 having the CCNA and an MCSA...I thought he was a wizard. For whatever reason, it really stuck with me that the CCNA is something to be proud of.
    Honestly, short bursts help your brain retain things easier. marathon study sessions just don't work and research is showing that. research also suggests that doing all 3 learning modes (sight, touch, and hear) have far greater results than reading a textbook, listening to a lecture. The brain just isn't engaged the right way. Plus, we are conditioned now to be distracted while "studying". I know I had to make some changes to my study program the minute I got a smartphone. 20-25 minutes is the sweet spot, with 2-3 rounds of that, then sleep or exercise. That';s what creates the glue to memory and recall.

Best of luck everyone. I'll be lurking and trying to answer as much as I can. You'll find me in the CCNA Security group soon. I'll be around to help.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Security +, CCNA
    Hi Everyone,

I am happy to still see that there were posts of study and the successes you've all had in your Cisco journey! Sorry that I've been absent, this month I had to limit almost all distractions and just focus in hopes of passing the ICND 2 before my expiration date (Oct 6). Today was my test date and im happy to report that all that hard work has paid off!! I hope that this study group continues to be a resource for everyone getting started or continuing thier study! Now that I have some free time, I'll be around to see how all of you are doing! Im going to go and take a nap lol. I woke up way too early to try and cram in some last min info!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA N+, Win 7, MCITP: SA, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA R&S, JNCIA, JNCIS-ENT, HP ATP V1 & V2, Aruba ACMP, Palo Alto ACE, Citrix CCP-N
    congrats 47 hope you will be celebrating a bit later....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, CCNA
    Great Job Agent47!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Security +, CCNA
    Thanks guys! Definitely took a few days off and about to jump right back into studying next week. Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA
    Well done! It's satisfying knowing the bloke who created this topic that has helped so many of us has achieved his personal goal. Top work.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ITIL F, C|EH
    Yes, big congrats!

Anyone know how to "add" or "enable" a WIC card in GNS3? I need to add some serial interfaces (at least 3) to a router for a OSPF lab I want to build but cant figure it out.

Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP Voice, CCNA R/S,
    right-click on a router --> configure
    Slots tab --> NM-4T (your card options will vary depending on the image you have, but at least one of them should be for serial interfaces, you can add all of them and see what they do)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ITIL F, C|EH
    Quote Originally Posted by davenull View Post
    right-click on a router --> configure
    Slots tab --> NM-4T (your card options will vary depending on the image you have, but at least one of them should be for serial interfaces, you can add all of them and see what they do)
    I got it

Thanks! I have an 8 router three area OSPF network that is up and running using defaults. Anyone have some good suggestions on things to break or change that would be good for the exam?

Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP Voice, CCNA R/S,
    Look into DR/BDR election, when the election takes place and when it doesn't, what happens when DR resigns and there's another router (non-BDR) that has a higher priority, what happens if all ospf priorities are set to 0, how the router-id is selected.

Predict what the database will look like in any single router in any area, which routers advertise which LSAs.

Play with passive interfaces, default-information originate, authentication.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ITIL F, C|EH
    Quote Originally Posted by davenull View Post
    Look into DR/BDR election, when the election takes place and when it doesn't, what happens when DR resigns and there's another router (non-BDR) that has a higher priority, what happens if all ospf priorities are set to 0, how the router-id is selected.

Predict what the database will look like in any single router in any area, which routers advertise which LSAs.

Play with passive interfaces, default-information originate, authentication.
    Doing this now.

Also ran into this gem using the sh ip os debug command:

what?! lol

I also had a FastEth interface open up in a half duplex state for the first time ever in GNS3. I was caught off guard by that error message. I am used to GNS3 simply working.

Last edit:

I found this flow chart to be very helpful in figuring out my mistakes:
    http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support...l#trouble_main

Yep, forgot to issue a no shut on a spoke router. That will kill neighbor relationships real quick.
    Last edited by --chris--; 10-08-2014 at 02:32 AM.

Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 First ... 142021222324

Social Networking & Bookmarks