+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 First 123 456713 ... Last

Certifications
    Cisco: CCNA Collaboration, CCNA Voice, CCNA R&S, CCENT; CompTIA (Expired): Security+, Network+, A+
    I found a nice Android App for the 200-120 exam, by certification2go. It costs a couple bucks for the full version, but it is pretty nice to practice on the go.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. A10
    Junior Member Registered Member
    Nice idea of this thread. I'm gonna join this train to the top.

My plan is to go through all the CBT nuggets first. Then through the books.
    I have never dealt with cisco or this kind of stuff before.
    Agent47 would I need real routers and what models are best for ccna and are the
    videos from Chris Bryant better than the nuggets series.

Thanks
    A10
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA Network Plus (2012), TAFE Certificate IV in IT Networking
    Hi all,

My name is Michael. I work full time and have to squeeze study in where I can. I have decided that enough is enough and that after 2 years of having the material I am going to knuckle down and get my CCNA in the next 6 months.

I have the latest CCNA boot camp with Chris Bryant, Cisco Press Routing and Switching guide by Wendell Odom, PT, GNS3 (now a paid member for early release next month), NetSimK (free). I also got "101 Labs for the CCNA Exam" from Amazon for $5 australian. It's a little dated but the author, Paul Browning, is still listing it as the current release. I have found it fun to work through the labs. It really puts things together.

I will log in every day to report my progress.

To date I have finished a single view of the icnd1 videos on the boot camp. I have read the same material from Chris's book and I am currently starting chapter 9 of the material from the Cisco press book for icnd1. And as I said I am doing the labs from the 101 Labs book.

I have one of the worst memories and at times wonder if I should be a techy because of it. But I find that practice, practice and more practice seems to hammer it down. I have read some material 2 or even 3 times and now some of it is starting to stick and gain context. I have learnt that rushing to learn is counter productive. Over learning a topic to a degree is incredibly useful as it gives me a wider view of the topic and I get greater perspective and context. But that takes time and patience with myself.

I hope this encourages others who may be struggling and having doubts. Don't give up.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA N+, Win 7, MCITP: SA, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA R&S, JNCIA, JNCIS-ENT, HP ATP V1 & V2, Aruba ACMP, Palo Alto ACE, Citrix CCP-N
    Update:

Oke so I have not managed to get as far as I wanted the last 3 days I have only finished reading chapter 13 last night and the CBT Nuggets videos Frame Relay: Understanding Frame Relay part 1 and 2 today and planning to finish reading chapter 14 implementing frame relay tonight and hopefully CBT Nuggets video too....

I must say frame relay concepts are a bit tricky. have any of you done frame relay so far and how did you find it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebou View Post
    I have one of the worst memories and at times wonder if I should be a techy because of it. But I find that practice, practice and more practice seems to hammer it down. I have read some material 2 or even 3 times and now some of it is starting to stick and gain context. I have learnt that rushing to learn is counter productive. Over learning a topic to a degree is incredibly useful as it gives me a wider view of the topic and I get greater perspective and context. But that takes time and patience with myself.

I hope this encourages others who may be struggling and having doubts. Don't give up.
    I do too. That's why I struggled with college, as it was more of a memorisation game as opposed to actually understanding and implementing (in the UK at least).

I am not attempting to memorise though, even though Odom suggests it in some places on his book I am trying to understand, make connections through practice and describing things to myself as if I were a student rather than re-reading. I didn't sit down and memorise the CIDR chart, or commands, or anything really, I just can't do it that way and fair play to you if you can.

The way I remember is by doing. That's the best advice I can give if you have a dodge memory like me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member

Certifications
    Hi Magic,

Yep, I learn by doing. I still do some rote memorisation of things like well known ports, cable types, speed and distances etc. I find that the practice questions include these details to brush up on. But my 'practice and more practice' is building a network, say frame-relay and tearing it down again and then re-building it.

Talking about frame-relay. Staunchy, you were asking about how hard is frame-relay. It sounds messy at first but there is a logic to setting it up (as with any routing protocol). As I said to Magic above, the only way I get my head around any routing protocol is practice, practice practice. Grab a simulator (hardware if you have it, two routers and you can setup a frame-relay link) and build the network, test that it works, tear it down to build it again. One afternoon I did this 5 or 6 times. Once it becomes second nature on setting it up, you begin to see why things happen the way they do. I did all my practice in Packet Tracer. There are plenty of articles on how to setup the frame-relay switch. Once this is done you can build your frame-relay network by adding routers to the mix.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA: V, R&S
    There are some good tips happening here. Practice really helps the processes sink in. And if you can understand the process, you are well on your way to understanding the topic, and how to implement it. This leads to better troubleshooting and planning processes. A lab, either virtual or physical, really helps in getting hands on time with the theories.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA N+, Win 7, MCITP: SA, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA R&S, JNCIA, JNCIS-ENT, HP ATP V1 & V2, Aruba ACMP, Palo Alto ACE, Citrix CCP-N
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebou View Post
    Talking about frame-relay. Staunchy, you were asking about how hard is frame-relay. It sounds messy at first but there is a logic to setting it up (as with any routing protocol). As I said to Magic above, the only way I get my head around any routing protocol is practice, practice practice. Grab a simulator (hardware if you have it, two routers and you can setup a frame-relay link) and build the network, test that it works, tear it down to build it again. One afternoon I did this 5 or 6 times. Once it becomes second nature on setting it up, you begin to see why things happen the way they do. I did all my practice in Packet Tracer. There are plenty of articles on how to setup the frame-relay switch. Once this is done you can build your frame-relay network by adding routers to the mix.
    Hi Mikebou,

Thanks I managed to finish reading "implementing frame-relay" and also watch the videos, I think I understand how frame-relay works but will be doing some practicing today with GNS3 to see if I can set it up.

Hope and pray I pass the ICND2 exam 1st time around...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Voice, Security
    Is there any kind of actual collaboration space for this yet? If not, I can see about settings up meetings through my work place, as this is just a fantastic idea.

I have a coworker or two who might be interested, and I'm pretty sure I could set up a meeting weekdays @ around 6pm. Phone conferenced, and screen sharing via webex. Let me know your interest level, and I'll gauge my ambition level to make it happen
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, CCNA
    My study is going slow and steady.
    I have started redoing all of the packet tracers from the Netacad I and II. This is really helping bring back into focus everything I was learning the last 4 months. Surprisingly most of it still makes sense. I want to spend the next 3 weeks really completing the first two modules so I am well prepared for the next class. Still working on my home lab as I hope to use it extensively through classes III and IV.This weeks goal is to come up with a wiring scheme that works for labbing so I don't need to play with cables much.

@ande0255 I don't think I will be able to participate. My schedule is all over the place. I do like the tips and feedback this is generating.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    I would be down for the webex but at what time zone?? I can record them and post on my website to share.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member

Certifications
    CCENT,ITIL-F
    Hi wgroom,I have a CCENT and am a bit confused about whether to take ICND2 or CCNA Voice.What all books and study materials do you have for CCNA Voice?Could u please inform me a bit about what is a better thing to do?Thanks in advance
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by ande0255 View Post
    Is there any kind of actual collaboration space for this yet? If not, I can see about settings up meetings through my work place, as this is just a fantastic idea.

I have a coworker or two who might be interested, and I'm pretty sure I could set up a meeting weekdays @ around 6pm. Phone conferenced, and screen sharing via webex. Let me know your interest level, and I'll gauge my ambition level to make it happen
    Hey Ande0255,

Not sure what your time zone is. A conference sounds interesting but I would have to see how it would fit in with a West Australian time zone.

I have completed chapter 9 of the Cisco Press icnd1 book and reviewed the commands in the chapter. I then tested and tried them on a couple of simulators. It was a good refresher. Anyway, onto chapter 10.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I have begun watching the INE CCNA Voice video series, and must say I am enjoying them thoroughly! Registration is free, and the series is free. Combining this with the CCNA - V OCG and home lab should make the test very doable. At this point I am very excited to keep moving forward with my studies, and applying what I am learning to making me a better engineer. Also I treated myself yesterday to a nice metal bookmark from Barnes and Noble with the phrase from Winston Churchill "Never, never, never give up". Sometimes it is the small things that make a difference. Have a good day everyone, and best of luck with your studies.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Last edited by wgroom; 01-05-2014 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Additionsl info
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Cisco: CCNA Collaboration, CCNA Voice, CCNA R&S, CCENT; CompTIA (Expired): Security+, Network+, A+
    I made a variation of the CBT Nuggets Lab, which Jeremy made for GNS3, with Packet Tracer. Planning to follow the videos, and configure the equipment, as per lab scenarios.
    nuggetlab.PNG
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, S+
    Thread was created awhile ago with the same idea. CCENT/CCNA Study Group

You'll find my Google Groups here;

CCNA-CCENT-ICND1 100-101

CCNA-CCENT-ICND2 200-101
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, CCNA
    Well I finished ch7 of Exploration II and I am starting Ch8 setting up OSPF.
    Also I finally set up GNS3 on my work computer. Configured a few basic networks.
    I plan on build a basic topology thats all wired so I can just do quick configurations during slow days.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCTS: Windows 7, CCENT, CCNA: R&S
    Going to lab ACLs today in packet tracer, feeling pretty comfortable with the material. I may go and take the test this Saturday depending on how I do on the practice tests from the Odom book.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Security+, ACMT, CASP, CEH, CCNA R&S, A.S. & B.S. Cyber Security Systems/Digital Forensics, M.S. Cyber Security
    Just wondering, some of you say you will go for the CCNA Security after taking the CCNA Routing & Switching, why not go for the CCNP Security instead after the CCNA R & S?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by danny069 View Post
    Just wondering, some of you say you will go for the CCNA Security after taking the CCNA Routing & Switching, why not go for the CCNP Security instead after the CCNA R & S?

For any CCNP certs the prerquisite is a valid CCNA cert for that track
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member Magic Johnson's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA
    God reviewing a book once you've already read it is pure soul destroying stuff. All that 'STOKEDISM' completely vanishes, you know the type when you first learn about dynamic routing or VLANs etc.

Just reviewing ipv6 then will be practice exams and then, all going well, exam on the 22nd!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    MBA | CISSP | PMP | PMI-ACP | CISM | GMON | GCIH | Sec+ | MCITP: SA | MCSA Win 7 | CCNA
    Wrapped up Lammle's CCENT book and about to go back and do one more quick read through. I will also be going through Bryant's videos for some of the muddier subjects. I have Packet Tracer 6.0 and have been doing the labs in Lammle's book but I am not sure if they cover all of the exam objectives.. I wish there was a collection of lab examples to complete in order to ensure you are good to go for the actual exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    oke so I have started a new job and been a bit busy booked my exam yesterday for 24th Jan to force myself to study harder. I will be finishing up tonight with chapter 21 Cisco licensing than start with Todd Lammle's book which I hope to have done by end of the week if all goes well which afterwards I want to push as much labs as possible.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Junior Member

Certifications
    Hi all,

I went through section 18 of Chris Bryant's video boot camp dealing with STP. I will go through it again tomorrow and sound it down a bit more. I practiced on PT and all seems pretty simple.

All the best to those of you who have booked to take the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 First 123 456713 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks