+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 234511 ... Last

Certifications
    Security +, CCNA

Lightbulb CCNA Study Group

Hi!

I know that there are quite a few of you who are taking the exam a month or more from now. Although I have my CCENT, one of my goals next year is to obtain the CCNA and then get CCNA Security. I am gearing up to study the new topics for ICND2 however I am going over ICND 1 to refresh my memory.

My question is:

Would anyone be interested in making this an accountability thread? Just kind of report in what you worked on that day, what your goal for the day or week you know stuff like that? Just as a motivation, get things going type thing.

What do you think? You're also welcome to PM me too. I plan to start next week.

Links:

Free Flashcards:
    Studyblue.com - you have to sign up this (free) but its worth it. Has some free material that you can use.

Quizlet | CCNA

Other:
    Be sure to pick up the subnet calculator too from the left menu. It's nifty.

Subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions

You can print these if you like:
    Subnetting Guide.pdf

Binary Charts.pdf

The OSI Model-Ports.pdf
    Last edited by Agent47; 12-31-2013 at 06:13 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNA: V, R&S
    I am beginning my CCNA Voice studies tomorrow afternoon. It has been a week for the CCENT to settle in, now time for Voice. I will be testing no later than 4/30/2014. Then I will switch tracks to obtain CCNA R&S no later than 10/31/2014. I cannot guarentee that I will check in every day, but every week is a certainty. Best of luck with your studies, and we will be talking. This is a great idea, by the way!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, S+
    How long did you study for the CCENT exam?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA
    Yeah sure. I hope to book my ccent for mid January so why not!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Security +, CCNA
    Thanks, no problem wgroom, come by whenever you can (that goes for everyone)! I know its easy for life things to get in the way so I figured being part of something like this would help with the focus. Those are excellent goals, good luck to you as well alot of lab and reading material!

Hatah, I did my CCENT while at WGU so my time varied because of other work I had to do. I think it took me around a month and a half to 2? I suppose you may not know how long it really takes you personally until you dive into it.

Right now i'm using:
    Todd Lammle's CCNA Book (newest version)
    Videos from UDEMY By Chris Bryant (I have CCNA & CCNA Security)

Labbing
    Wendell Odom's Simulator (the older version)
    Possibly Packet tracer
    Last edited by Agent47; 12-27-2013 at 09:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Security +, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Johnson View Post
    Yeah sure. I hope to book my ccent for mid January so why not!
    Sweet!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, CCNA
    I'm going for my CCENT in late February. I plan to do an hour or so of reading or labbing a day and see how I do.
    My real goal is CCNA in the summer.

This week I am reviewing the Netacad Network II chapters 6 and 7. (ran out of time and skipped most of it during the semester)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCTS: Windows 7, CCENT, CCNA: R&S
    I am almost done reading Odom's ICND1 book and plan to take the test in two weeks. I'm interested in joining the CCNA study group.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Hatah, I took about 2 months to read Todd Lammle's CCNA book cover to cover. This was a good primer. Keep in mind I have been working on and off with Cisco for 7 years, the last year mostly voice. If you have the opportunity to work with the equipment as part of your job, it will be much easier. I have two routers and 4 switches right now, will be getting a 2821 in the next 60 days, and hoping for a 3560 PoE in the next 60 as well. This will round out a nice home lab. I am currently looking for a relatively stout server to run ESXi with CUCM, CUC, UCCX, and CUPS. As well as 2 Windows servers for DHCP, AD, DNS, and TFTP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, W7
    I'm interested! I finished the Wendell Odom book (ICND1) and now reviewing the Key Topics and using the practice exam from the textbook.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Security +, CCNA
    This is so great to be getting feedback! Welcome! Shyguy, Jon, Alhaji!

Alhaji, when do you plan to take the ICND1? What did you think about Wendell's new book?

Shyguy, that sounds good, make sure you let us know how it went! Did you lab all along or did you set aside a chunk of time to focus only on that?

Jon, let us know how your exam goes when you take it. Im hoping for ccna and ccna:sec by the summer!

Let's keep it going! Thank you all for checking in!

BTW I wanted to show you all something. I just purchased a markerboard from home depot for $10 + tax as a cost effective whiteboard alternative. So far its working pretty well. Now if I need to memorize or jot something down, its the first thing I see. Got some mounting tape, dry erase markers from office depot and boom. Consider getting one of these if you need a whiteboard.

DSCF1007.jpg
    Last edited by Agent47; 12-28-2013 at 02:13 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, W7
    Most likely inJanuary. I personally like Wendells's book - he's straightforward with the material.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Mac Integration Basics 10.11, Wireless#, CWTS
    I might be interested. I have the official CCENT guide along with Chris Bryant's guide and his Udemy videos.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yeah for sure ill let you guys know how it went. I should finish the book this weekend and ill have two weeks to lab/review for the test.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA N+, Win 7, MCITP: SA, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA R&S, JNCIA, JNCIS-ENT, HP ATP V1 & V2, Aruba ACMP, Palo Alto ACE, Citrix CCP-N
    I would also like to join in. I'm currently busy with ICND2 and aim to test on the 24/01/14.

So far I have found INCD2 to be a bit tougher than ICND1.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Hit a snag today, had to spend 9 hours repairing the Jeep So tomorrow begins the studies. Sometimes life has a way of not fully cooperating!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Cisco: CCNA Collaboration, CCNA Voice, CCNA R&S, CCENT; CompTIA (Expired): Security+, Network+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent47 View Post
    Thanks, no problem wgroom, come by whenever you can (that goes for everyone)!
    I would come over if I knew where "Somewhere over the rainbow" is... Unless you're holding a video conferencing (Skype) study group. I just got my Cisco Netacad discount vouchers, and planning to take the ICND1 in about a week, and ICND2 a week or two later... Using New Odom books, and ciscopress 200-120 Flash Cards, along with the new Cisco network simulator labs, Pearson practice tests, that came with the books, and CBT Nuggets videos.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, CCNA
    restarted Netacad Network II chapter 6 this morning.
    Spent about an hour starting to set up a home lab.
    More fun tomorrow at least until football starts.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member Nightflier101BL's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNAS, CCNA, Security+, Network+
    I'd like to join the group. I'm currently working on my CCENT and would like to have that done by the end of January, then finish the ICND2 by the end of February.

I've got a whole library of stuff -

Wendell Odom's ICND1 and ICND2
    Todd Lammle's CCENT and CCNA
    Network Warrior
    Cisco Press Routing TCP/IP Vol 1

CBT Nuggets and Chris Bryant's CCNA on Udemy

Labbing with 3 3550's, 3 2621XM's and an 871W

Currently, I'm about halfway through the CBT Nuggets videos. I'm getting ready to start into routing. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with switching at the CCENT level. I don't really have a game plan with the books. I tend to watch the Udemy and CBT Nuggets videos first and then look at a particular subject in each of the different books to get different viewpoints on the subject- then follow it up with labbing.

Since the Christmas break, I've been a little lazy with my studying but will be getting back into it in the next day or two.

Robert
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member Magic Johnson's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightflier101BL View Post
    Since the Christmas break, I've been a little lazy with my studying but will be getting back into it in the next day or two.
    Nailed it, I had hoped to be finished icnd1 before xmas because I predicted this would happen and it has. Oh well, need to really slam it home after the new year.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    MBA | CISSP | PMP | PMI-ACP | CISM | GMON | GCIH | Sec+ | MCITP: SA | MCSA Win 7 | CCNA
    This thread/group interests me! I wrapped up my CISSP in November and now I want to get my CCNA/CCNA:Sec. I am halfway through Todd Lammle's ICND1 and I have been doing his hands-on-labs in Packet Tracer. I also have memberships to CBTNuggets and Udemy and I have been watching some of those as well. Can anyone who recently passed the exam shine some light on what is needed for the labbing portion of the exam? I am trying to determine if the labs in Lammle's book will be enough or not, and if not where I can find some labs to go through to ensure I cover everything I need to for the exam. I have 6 yrs of IT experience but mostly on the Server/Sys Ad (Windows) side of things but that does help with some of the logical part of the exam, OSI etc. Hoping to knock ICND1 out soon and move onto the next half of the CCNA and then hopefully security as well!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA N+, Win 7, MCITP: SA, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA R&S, JNCIA, JNCIS-ENT, HP ATP V1 & V2, Aruba ACMP, Palo Alto ACE, Citrix CCP-N
    I have read chapters "Understanding EIGRP Concepts" and "Implementing EIGRP for IPv4", currently watching CBT Nuggets videos about EIGRP and than it's back to rereading those chapters in W. Odom's ICND2 book and also labing with GNS3
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Just finished reading the chapter on NAT. IPv6 is next and ill be done with the book which should give me plenty of time to lab/review for an early January test.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by wgroom View Post
    Hit a snag today, had to spend 9 hours repairing the Jeep So tomorrow begins the studies. Sometimes life has a way of not fully cooperating!
    I fully relate to this.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    MBA | CISSP | PMP | PMI-ACP | CISM | GMON | GCIH | Sec+ | MCITP: SA | MCSA Win 7 | CCNA
    As far as labbing goes, to those who recently passed the new ICND1, without violating NDAA of course, can you guys elaborate on what you did to prepare for the lab portion of the exam? I have been going through the labs in Todd Lammle's book and also some that were on CBTNuggets so basically trying to see what exactly I need to cover to prepare for the exam.. It's a funny feeling, I recently passed CISSP and have my MCITP certs and some reason I am stressing the ICND1 or getting a grip on exactly what info I need to study to be prepared to pass the exam..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 234511 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks