+ Reply to Thread
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CIW: Web Foundations; MCTS: Active Directory; MCP: 2000 Professional; CNA: NetWare 5; CompTIA A+

Default Cheap Nexus Switch

Is there such a thing? I looked up one that was shown in the DCICN OCG (5548 ) on eBay and it was $3,000. I would like to add one or two to my lab if I can find some that aren't too expensive as Nexus skills seem to be in demand right now.

I tried installing the Nexus 1000V to play with, but only managed to get the VSM (Supervisor) installed. The Installer App wants me to shut down all active VMs before it will install the VEM (Line Card?), which isn't something I can do without some preparation as shutting them down would disrupt my wireless as one of those VMs is providing 802.1X Authentication/RADIUS. I tried vMotioning the VM to another server, but it wouldn't let me because the other server doesn't support Carryless Something or the Other and AES.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    There isn't anything cheap home lab wise that I'm aware of. For virtualization Titanium seems to be the go to these days. Viral is another option but there are some features unavailable.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Agreed with Networker, you best option is VIRL.
    Those who have been intoxicated with power... can never willingly abandon it.
    Edmund Burke
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R+S, CCNA:DC, CCNA Security, CCNP R+S, BEng Computer Networking
    Saw a $2000 FEX on ebay a few months back, pretty much useless without a 5K though .. like the other guys said I would try and use VIRL and Rack Rentals too pass any DC exams - I'm assuming you are studying for CCNA DC or CCNP DC? I used Cisco PEC and INE Rack Rental tokens to pass my NA DC, It was quite a put off with progressing onwards with Data Centre studies as it can get so expensive!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CIW: Web Foundations; MCTS: Active Directory; MCP: 2000 Professional; CNA: NetWare 5; CompTIA A+
    Quote Originally Posted by bharvey92 View Post
    Saw a $2000 FEX on ebay a few months back, pretty much useless without a 5K though .. like the other guys said I would try and use VIRL and Rack Rentals too pass any DC exams - I'm assuming you are studying for CCNA DC or CCNP DC? I used Cisco PEC and INE Rack Rental tokens to pass my NA DC, It was quite a put off with progressing onwards with Data Centre studies as it can get so expensive!
    I was reading through the books, but mainly looking to get some hands on experience with Nexus since most Network Engineer positions around here prefer Nexus experience [in addition to traditional R&S knowledge/experience.]

I also noticed the FEXs on eBay, but when I looked them up realized they required a Nexus 5k, which killed that idea. It looks like I might have to reinstall ESXi to make Nexus 1000V work (as the VEM seems to be holding onto information for a previous VSM and won't let it go), which is not an option. VIRL may be my only viable option.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/disc...t-add-host-dvs
    Last edited by theodoxa; 03-23-2016 at 03:26 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Woohoo! It's over 1000!

Certifications
    RHCSA, Linux+, ACSA, ACTC, ACSP, MCSA:7, MCTS, ITIL F, Prince2 Pract, AgilePM Practioner, VCP-DCV, Storage+, CCNA R+S, CCNA Sec, Security+, CEH, CASP
    Is it the kind of money you could "invest" for the 3-6 months you will be studying? You could resell it once you've completed, and likely make your money back (+/-10%). It would still work out cheaper than attending a training course to get access to a lab.

Otherwise, virtual or rack rentals.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks